wallfish

Anyone recognize these parts?

bc.gold

Thank you Wallfish for this most interesting thread which has inspired me to do more research on hide glue which from this article has many uses and is sometimes preferable over modern day synthetic glues.

Maybe your next horse will be joined together with HORSE GLUE.:lol:

From the following wikipedia article I've learned more today than I had in the past month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_glue

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

wallfish

some more done

Needed a longer piece for the frame rails. The square section tapers to round and if too much of the round section is used, it looks funny and leaves voids. Here's joining 2 pieces which is kind of a pain in the ----  but needed to be done for both rails.

1027673856_jointin2pieces.JPG.f9a0f1341a0bf95e2227a9a34baf8b94.JPG

1160666446_longsquaresection.JPG.44685daa8c791d6abc4591ea4e2fdead.JPG

1395363222_framerails.JPG.ea2929f9dfd3f63e112e178454ca4afd.JPG

Drilled some holes in the hood

33580137_holesdrilledinhood.JPG.d01e3f81167368135a22cf78297dafa4.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Sparky

So to those of us following this thread it seems like your zipping right along....but in reality how many hours are you into it?

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

formariz
2 minutes ago, Sparky said:

So to those of us following this thread it seems like your zipping right along....but in reality how many hours are you into it?

When you do something like that you get lost in time and he probably doesn't keep track of it. But if he does and decides to tell us, I think we should put our seat belts on prior to that..

• Like 1

wallfish
24 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Never really count but I've been staying up WAY past my bedtime, got home a little early today and did this instead of what I'm supposed to do with paperwork, emails, phone calls ect. I tend to get too much involved when doing things like this or building custom tractors or pretty much anything creative. Need to get it while it's hot in the mind because I never know when there's going to be a mind block or something. It's weird and hard to explain it.

My best guestimate is about  20-25 up to now. Probably about 80-100 when it's done. maybe more but who knows. Sometimes things go real quick and others just nothing goes right.

Wanna buy it for 2 weeks of my salary? If so I'll go into it full time!

Edited by wallfish
  • Haha 1

squonk

I got some toothpicks with my BBQ yesterday. After I "soften them up" I'll send them to ya! :lol: :teasing-poke:

• Haha 4

wallfish
10 minutes ago, squonk said:

I got some toothpicks with my BBQ yesterday. After I "soften them up" I'll send them to ya! :lol: :teasing-poke:

If they're Forster  brand American birch squares then I'll take'm. Too bad this company went out of business 20 years ago. No more real American birch toothpicks around and the whole industry in Maine is pretty much gone. Diamond makes some squares but they're not good for this as they're not consistently dimensional or straight.

• Sad 1

Chris G

That is absolutely AWESOME!  Very nice craftsmanship.

• Like 1

Pullstart

My girls are quite amazed with your work, John!  They couldn’t believe it was just toothpicks until I showed the, the dollar bill comparison!

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

dclarke

This is really cool, John! 

• Like 1

wallfish

Thanks for all the nice and encouraging comments.

It's certainly something different than the usual tractor build but in the same family. Anyone can do this stuff with a little practice and you always figure out better or simpler ways to do things as you go along. different techniques and tools make it so each time there's a bit more detail. For those following along that have interest or haven't seen this before, here's a link to a thread on some other things which were done and if you scroll through you will see what my first stuff looked like. Big difference from those to to the new stuff. By the way, check out the forum MoM while you're there and become a member if you haven't already.

https://myoldmachine.com/topic/20-toothpick-art/

So in the interest of a attempting a little more detail, trying to see if I can actually make the brake band to act like a spring as well. Doing so will allow the pedal, the linkage and associated parts to actually move and spring back. Sometimes there's too much ambition but any moving parts adds to the art of the final product. Not sure this will even work and this is the type of stuff that causes road blocks and frustration but it'll be worth it if pulled off. It's more than likely the parts will be glued in position but this is how to progress with new and better things. Always learn from mistakes and something done wrong. No one really learns much when things go perfect!

Thanks to @bcgold for posting that wood bending stuff, I gave it another try but with my own twist. Shaved the wood down to a very thin slat then took @squonk 's mention of "soften them up". Put it in my mouth for heat and dampness and used my teeth to bend it in very short sections a little bit at a time. Unfortunately the fibers still split a little and most of the bends are still actually breaks in the fibers but it did allow for a very tight bend on a very thin piece which is difficult to achieve without the need of glue to hold it together. (like the thin bands on the gas tank are done with glue holding it to the tank)

Ice outside today caused a work cancellation so worked on this again. Cas @formariz understands when doing this type of creative stuff you can get lost in these things and time passes by without any notice of it.

Here's the damp chewed up band clamped for drying over night. Did that last night. If it doesn't work I'll chew it up again and send it to Squonk!!!

288108114_bandprocess.JPG.536a1e23f47c1f04d1bd28005af5781c.JPG

removed and seems like it might do with some adjusting, sanding and a little glue

band.JPG.f83bde055481739be16cafc7b648f413.JPG

Made and attached the brake drum. It's attached with a dowel through holes drilled.

Shifter handle lathed out on the dremel tool as well. It's not attached permanently at this point as it will certainly get broken if it was. (Should've made something inside the trans to hold the shifter and allow that to move as well but too late now unless there's some kind of catastrophe and the trans needs to be made again.

608621891_bandandtrans.JPG.cb0b716a749b424c50c4c621fbb2918f.JPG

Just need to open the band up a little for the spring effect and try to get some attachment point on it for a rod linkage. It seems springy but not sure if it will really work as a spring. It won't work at all if it isn't at least a little bit durable. That's another thing. People are always surprised how much these things are NOT as delicate as they may appear to be.

1788889709_bandon.JPG.bdebf2a791c6a20c7528f054095a1be1.JPG

Off to try and get more done!

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

JPWH

John, have you placed your decal order with vinyl guy? It may take him a little while for this one. 

• Haha 1

wallfish

Front axle with retaining nut preped. It will end up thinner than pictured here but really want the hood on and the tires made to size it. It will swivel when done.

1079464901_prefrontaxlewnut.JPG.d5a9f746f0d97ff928ed1b37d888b257.JPG

And the dreaded tire assembly is preped.Making the tires is tedious and time consuming. Not one of the favorite things to do.

1034292565_tirebatch.JPG.cce6db24e836fc5fd855fde281b0355e.JPG

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3

wallfish

Is this getting too detailed? maybe just post the highlights when things are assembled?

• Confused 2

dells68
27 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Is this getting too detailed? maybe just post the highlights when things are assembled?

What?  Fish are you nuts?  You know how we love pics.  This way it showcases all of the detail and work that goes into making it look sooooo goooood!  Keep em coming!! 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
7 hours ago, wallfish said:

Unfortunately the fibers still split a little and most of the bends are still actually breaks in the fibers but it did allow for a very tight bend on a very thin piece which is difficult to achieve without the need of glue to hold it together.

Have you ever considered using Kudzu? We have lots of it down south!

28 minutes ago, wallfish said:

I find it fascinating.          :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

953 nut
On 2/20/2019 at 10:13 AM, wallfish said:

Not sure making it out of toothpicks would be good if it gets painted since a solid piece of anything would look exactly the same if it gets painted.

Have you ever considered a red wood dye?  The wood grain shows through.

Image result for wood dye

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

I’m wondering why it’s taking so long for updates!  Less pictures?  That’s crazy talk!  :ROTF:

• Haha 2

wallfish
3 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Have you ever considered using Kudzu? We have lots of it down south!

I've done stuff out of different woods and built little models using pine as well but to me it just doesn't have the same appeal to it.

Making a whole model out of something different like vine might be interesting though, depending on the characteristics of that wood and what it looks like when finished. Out of date American birch toothpicks are going to eventually run out so.....Can you send me some?

Painting them with anything but clear would ruin the point of building them out of toothpicks in my opinion but I never really was a paint guy anyway. My preference is original or in it's natural state but maybe a very slight stain to bring out some of the grain wouldn't hurt. It would also bring out the glue joints but may look alright. Maybe try something on something else but probably not on this one. I'll certainly give it some thought!

• Like 1

wallfish

Just checking because after posting a bunch of broken toothpicks it seemed like it was the same thing I laugh at like somebody posting on twitter they are now going to lunch, here's a pic of my hamburger, here's my car in McDonald's parking lot while we're at lunch. Didn't want to over do it and glad you guys are interested. Doing the pics actually seems to help as I see things from a different perspective in them. Not sure why since I'm actually looking at the phone while taking the pic but always seem to see things I don't initially notice.

Next tweet. Here's the first tire. A rear one and still not sure about the size although it does come up to just under the hood like a real one does. Maybe look right with fenders?

441724110_onetire.JPG.ae0eab6d0a02a1ddbd6e245c6999096f.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

formariz
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

When I look at a finished product particularly something of this nature, I always wonder how it was done. Sometimes it drives me to the edge of insanity when I cant figure it out. On something like this, so unusual and so detailed it's actually great of you to post as many details as you can. Not only it gives us an insight as to the process but more importantly it gives us a deeper appreciation on the resolve , patience ,skill and imagination it takes to do it. Many would not demonstrate how to do it. Perhaps with that attitude they feel they are better than the people that admire their work. That is a waste and totally wrong. I commend you for demonstrating it,and  if some of the younger generation is looking at it perhaps they will be inspired to follow up on it. Although there is also skill in developing a computer program and having a printer fabricate something similar, this is something on a totally different level. When one looks at the end result from a machine, one may be impressed with the actual object, but that is pretty much where it ends. With something like this, at least in my opinion, one  looks at it and rather than just admire the finished product, one immediately thinks about the individual that created it and the care it took to achieve it. You look at it with respect. A plastic one will be one of thousands. This one will be one of kind (hopefully not) but you know as well as I do that no two would be alike. There is a need out here for real meaningful inspiration for the younger generation. Inspiration not only to acquire great manual skills, but also to acquire the great feeling one gets when creating something. What exactly is that feeling? I could throw about a dozen adjectives at that answer but none of them would describe it accurately, but there is no need since so many of you know what it is.

So, having said all of that not only I ask you to please show as much of it as it is possible, but I also ask all the others watching to show it to the younger ones so they can be inspired as to what can be done, even with a simple toothpick.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

SylvanLakeWH

Please continue with the details.

Amazing...

• Thanks 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, wallfish said:

posting a bunch of broken toothpicks it seemed like it was the same thing I laugh at like somebody posting on twitter they are now going to lunch, here's a pic of my hamburger, here's my car in McDonald's parking lot while we're at lunch. Didn't want to over do it and glad you guys are interested.

:text-goodpost:       All I can say about this thread is:

Image result for mcdonalds I'm lovin it

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Stormin

Came across this on MoM and my interest sent me to look over here. Really superb workmanship. I take my hat off to you, John. But as I'm not wearing one this will have to do. :bow-blue:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1