LengerichKA88

Replacing a keyed ignition with push button/ keyless switch

LengerichKA88

I’m sure someone has done a swap to make their keyed ignition a push button start. I would like to do this eventually on our 8HP No Name, but want to make sure I go looking for the correct item. I also want to know if anyone can think of any reason (other than the lack of key) as to NOT do this on one of these tractors. I don’t want to swap out a perfectly good ignition for something that’s going to eventually fry itself or the tractor. 

ebinmaine

Kyle I thought about doing this myself but if you have to go buy the parts it's cheaper to buy the appropriate harness plug piece and the appropriate ignition switch which comes with two keys.

• Like 2

LengerichKA88
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Kyle I thought about doing this myself but if you have to go buy the parts it's cheaper to buy the appropriate harness plug piece and the appropriate ignition switch which comes with two keys.

Yea, I’ve noticed that they’re on the waaaaay higher end of the price range for ignitions. 

Since now I’m down with a bug (thanks kids 🙄😂) I’ve been thinking further about my “Hank The Tank” project we talked about. Making it a keyless ignition would fit with the end game for that tractor. Figured I should post the question while it was in the front of my mind still haha. 

I may never do it, but the information is worth having. 

Definitely a “want” not a “need”.  

Edited by LengerichKA88

ebinmaine

I don't know the specifications on the amperage that you need for the switch but maybe somebody else could chime in. The reason I went back to a regular keyed style switch was two fold. First of all the price was just better compared to what I was Finding. Second of all I got thinking that maybe I might want to leave it as close to stock as possible for future diagnostic reasons.

Least expensive push button switch I could get my hands on was about $15 which is only a few dollars less than the ignition switch itself. Then I had to have the ability to have a heavy duty flip switch for the on, off. That was about the same price as the plug harness piece.

• Excellent 2

LengerichKA88

I was seeing anywhere from 20-115, depending on the switch and application. 

I don’t want to spend that kinda money and it throw the whole system out of whack. No point in creating more work for myself 

ebinmaine

What does that thing have for an engine? Points ignition or module? 5 prong ignition switch?

formariz

I have done that on a few tractors, mine and others. Unless you have children that may try to start tractor when you don't want them to, I think the key is a bit of an inconvenience. If tractor is kept outside unprotected, switch lets water in and its just a matter of time until it deteriorates internally. I like the Cole Hersee heavy duty foot switches. Not too expensive high amperage and nearly indestructible. All you need besides that will be a simple on/off toggle switch to activate power to coil and perhaps a solenoid if you go that route.

image.png.a58e7eef7289c3729694bd1a426c6617.png

• Like 1

pfrederi

If you have a solenoid a simple SPST toggle switch and a Momentary Pushbutton will get part of the job done.  You can wire the ignition through the toggle switch and run lights directly off battery.  However you have to consider the regulator if you run it through the ignition toggle it will be "On line" during cranking.  Regular switches keep it off line during cranking so as not to expose it to voltages surges/drops.  Maybe necessary maybe not but regulators cost money if they get damaged.

• Excellent 1

953 nut

As Paul said, the charging circuit needs to be switched off along with the ignition.     :twocents-02cents:          I agree with Eric,a $ 15.00 keyed switch will be safer and a lot less hassle .

LengerichKA88

@ebinmaine, I believe it’s a points ignition, I haven’t taken the ignition switch out and looked at it. 

Thank you everyone for the input, I think I’ll go ahead and stick with the keyed ignition for the forseable future. It still functions as it should, so a push button would be more for the “cool” and “aw” factor more than anything. 

And as @formariz pointed out, the keys will keep the kids from tearing around the yard without my knowledge 😂. Thanks again everyone! 

• Like 2

SALTYWRIGHT

WHEN I PUT THE DIESEL IN MY 1054 I SET IT UP WITH REMOTE START. IT HAS WORKED VERY WELL.   RUSS

• Like 2

bc.gold

Very informative site with decent pricing.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/ignition.htm

pushswch.gifHigh Quality Universal Push Button Switches. Each Normally Open; contact made when plunger is depressed. Use to crank over engine,
  • Light Duty 15 Amp Push Button Switch. Use as starter switch to crank engine, as a safety switch, temporarily power electrical accessories, such as light(s), etc., or to power kill switch motor (on pulling sled). Starter solenoid/relay may be required if electrical load exceeds 15 amps. Use #250 slip-on female spade crimp-type wire connectors on terminals when connecting wires to switch. Requires 15/32" mounting hole. 2-1/8" overall length. $9.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • Heavy Duty 20 Amp Push Button Switch. Comes with two screws to connect between battery positive (+) post and starter motor. Heavy wire terminals and minimum #8 gauge wire recommended. Starter solenoid/relay may be required if electrical load exceeds 20 amps. Requires 5/8" mounting hole. $14.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
magswtch.gifHigh Quality Universal Self-Grounding OFF/ON Switches for Self-Energizing Magneto and Solid State Ignition Systems. Very durable, tough switches. Each can be mounted in metal (grounded) dashboard, instrument panel, engine control panel, engine flywheel shroud, etc. Single blade on switch connects to ignition points wire or solid state module wire/terminal that kills the engine. Can be used on anything that has ignition points and condenser/capacitor magneto, solid state, or solid state transistorized electronic modules, such as: Kohler Magnum and Command engines, lawn mowers, lawn tractors, garden tillers, go-karts, chainsaws, portable air compressors, generators/welders, water pumps, etc.
  • Universal OFF/ON Toggle Switch. Comes with OFF/ON indicator plate. Use #250 slip-on female spade crimp-type wire connector on terminal when connecting ignition wire to switch. Grounded through body of switch. Requires 15/32" mounting hole. Discontinued from Kohler. Replaces Kohler part # 223072-S. $3.60 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • Universal OFF/ON Key Switch. Use for security of equipment. Grounded through body of switch. Requires 5/8" mounting hole. $9.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
batswtch.gifHigh Quality Universal OFF/ON Switches for Battery-Powered Ignition Systems. Each can be mounted in dashboard, instrument panel, engine control panel, etc. Very durable, tough switches. Can be used on virtually anything that has a battery-powered electrical system, such as: garden tractors, pulling tractors, mini-rods, hot-rods, farm tractors, automobiles, etc.
  • Universal OFF/ON Toggle Switch. Can be used for lights, ignition, electric fuel pump, electric PTO clutch, etc. 20 amp maximum. Comes with OFF/ON indicator plate and two 6" wire leads. Requires 15/32" mounting hole. Discontinued from Kohler. Replaces Kohler part # 238011-S. $6.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • Universal OFF/ON Pull-Push Switch. Pull out = ON, Push in = OFF. Can be used for lights, ignition, electric fuel pump, electric PTO clutch, etc. 5 amp maximum. Two screw terminal connection. Requires 15/32" mounting hole. Discontinued from Kohler. Replaces Kohler part # 275713. $6.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • Universal OFF/ON Key Switch. Use for security of equipment. Use #250 slip-on female spade crimp-type wire connectors on terminals when connecting wires to switch. Requires 15/32" mounting hole. $12.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
magkswch.gifigswitch.gifHigh Quality Universal 3-Position OFF-IGNITION-START Key Switch for use with Magneto w/Points and Condenser or Solid State Ignition Systems. Can be used to replace OEM switch or for custom applications. Use with a starter solenoid/relay to prevent burning out contacts inside switch. Identification of terminals in clockwise rotation are: B = Battery (+); G = Ground (grounded to body of switch); L = Lights (Auxiliary); M = Magneto (Ignition); S = Solenoid. Key positions: OFF position makes contact with M+G; IGNITION position makes contact with B+L; START position makes contact with B+S. Each terminal identified for correct wire connections. If using an ammeter/amp gauge, connect the gauge/meter to the battery positive (+) post, then to the B terminal on the switch. Trace the wires on your tractor/equipment to see if they match the terminals on this switch. If they don't match, the OEM slide-on spade connectors in the plastic connector housing can be rearranged to match the corresponding terminals on the switch. To remove the connectors from the plastic connector housing, use a small flat blade screwdriver to depress the locking tab and bend the tabs outward slightly before reinserting the connectors in the housing to secure/lock them in place. Or use #250 slide-on female spade crimp-type wire connectors instead to connect the wires to the switch. Switch requires 5/8" diameter mounting hole.
  • Our part # 55-1013. $10.00 each, plus shipping & handling.
batkswch.gifigswitch.gifHigh Quality Universal 3-Position OFF-IGNITION-START Key Switch for use with Battery-Powered Points/Condenser or Crank Trigger Electronic Ignition Systems. Can be used to replace OEM switch or for custom applications. Use with a starter solenoid/relay to prevent burning out contacts inside switch. Identification of terminals in clockwise rotation are: I = Ignition; A = Auxiliary (lights, electric PTO clutch, etc.); R = Rectifier; B = Battery (+); S = Starter Solenoid. Key positions: OFF position = no contact; IGNITION position makes contact with B+I+R+A; START position makes contact with B+I+R+S. Each terminal identified for correct wire connections. If using an ammeter/amp gauge, connect the gauge/meter to the battery positive (+) post, then to the B terminal on the switch. Trace the wires on your tractor/equipment to see if they match the terminals on this switch. If they don't match, the OEM slide-on spade connectors in the plastic connector housing can be rearranged to match the corresponding terminals on the switch. To remove the connectors from the plastic connector housing, use a small flat blade screwdriver to depress the locking tab and bend the tabs outward slightly before reinserting the connectors in the housing to secure/lock them in place. Or use #250 slide-on female spade crimp-type wire connectors instead to connect the wires to the switch. Switch requires 9/16" diameter mounting hole.
  • Our part # 430-249. $15.00 each, plus shipping & handling.

Stepney

I do fancy a push starter myself, but when you factor in charging and extra effort, unless you have an early generator charge tractor, it's not worth the effort.

Now, here's a very simple solution to the water in the switch issue. Get yourself a rubber key cover off an old snowmobile. A lot of MotoSki's and older SkiDoo's use almost the same switch as our WH's. My Horses rarely sit outdoors anymore, but even when they did, water was never an issue when I threaded on those caps.