peter lena

rear frame mounts for weights

peter lena

hello , I am looking for picture or ideas to add some weight to the back of my 312-8 , in addition to the rear wheel weights that I have. I was thinking about clamping on to the rear axel housing  and using the rear hitch to give it a 3 point mounting strength .  thank you for any ideas, pete

• Like 1

Skipper

Without being absolutely sure i understand what you are going for, this will be a shot in the dark, but here goes.

Shape/form will be very dependent on what use you would like to make of the rear end. Use the hitch, axle bracket and attachments, etc. Is the weight supposed to be easy detachable, or fixed mounted.

Only safe advise I can offer, is to mount it as low, and ideally, as wide as you can, and with as little overhang behind the rear axle as possible.

If you could find room for it, I would mount weight under the tractor frame, in front of, or directly over the rear axle, unless you are trying to counter balance something heavy in the front, then I would consider overhang behind the rear axle. :-)

Heavy gauge metal plate and bars way a ton, and cut right, they can find place in many locations, even without being noticed. I bet I could easily put a couple hundred pounds or more on a horse, without it being too obvious :-)

I assume you have loaded up the rear tires too :-)

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

This is what I did to balance out a two stage blower on my 520H.  It has worked well.  It has 125lbs. of barbell weights and about 30 lbs of hitch weight.

1384904942_RearWeights.jpg.05dd938888ca61d3fb7ba675712ce3d4.jpg

Edited by Kurt-NEPA
  • Like 4

WVHillbilly520H

My version on 2stage rear ballast...i had actually fabbed that up for the front (last pic) from something my dad had laying around but as you can see I use the hitch rod hole in the trans case loosely following the the rear bagger attachment points (which coincidentally I plan using ,a retired bagger mount, for my next version.

IMAG1686.jpg

IMAG1687.jpg

IMAG2995.jpg

IMAG0388.jpg

• Like 2

peter lena

thank you for the reply, I am aware of what I want to do , but seeing what others have done lets me combine ideas. I like that rear bolt on frame above the rear end as well as the weight hanger set up. I just picked up some 8" blank steel flanges ,as well as some 2" solid steel round stock . now I will be hunting around for easy frame mounting points, for installation as well as removal. thanks again , pete

953 nut

Get a 2" hitch like the one below and add a weight box like the one in the second photo.

202.jpg

1838585101_2hitchweightbox003.JPG.64f072fcd285e71176b3caf834cd9440.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

cschannuth

I added the hitch and built my own weight hanger. I planned to brace it off of the loader sub frame, and I still may, but it is really stout the way it is. F1E4B955-5C7C-451A-A73C-A671D62AFDC4.jpeg.f0b08f9805ef5de37f91e630e6576515.jpeg1502C543-5032-48BB-B771-11B52C0BACCB.jpeg.d168781d5d6e3817ee24ba91f26d4f45.jpeg273F9674-31B1-4A10-B94E-5752BD80A356.jpeg.253d8542446b91c63cd45d2741f2f100.jpegA5D4D79B-6391-4C0A-86E7-3F8B508E8615.jpeg.c863d599a098250fc06fa0439ffb7c06.jpegA3979FB6-5BC1-4A0F-A239-D3F0BA91D358.thumb.jpeg.b200f0936d19a14af37e031360a0d171.jpeg5A2F907A-BABE-4354-8553-8E2AB2C6370E.jpeg.993b9368b917e23bfcc48cab881ad599.jpeg4DCF90A4-BA75-451E-A22C-D09882C6D191.thumb.jpeg.88cbdf8730a344d03cfaf2b0ac00d7dd.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

ebinmaine

Some good ideas there folks...

@peter lenalena

Are your tires fluid-filled?

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Some good ideas there folks...

@peter lenalena

Are your tires fluid-filled?

:text-yeahthat:... @cschannuth its funny how those Carlisle Tru-Powers and my OTR Lawn Trac R1s (which BTW are fluid filled as well as 70# of iron weights inside and out) look very similar on the 520s :confusion-confused:...also has done VERY well without chains pushing snow since changing them from the NANCO AGS.

IMAG5493.jpg

IMAG3957.jpg

• Like 2

peter lena

no , I don't have filled tires , but I do like the rear hitch  shown on 953nut reply. design look and mounting points make that a very stout platform. I would be interested in getting one . I don't weld anymore so what I see and like I would have to purchase. I live in Ledyard Connecticut, anyone close by with a similar 2" rear hitch for sale/ trade? thank you Pete

WVHillbilly520H
10 minutes ago, peter lena said:

no , I don't have filled tires , but I do like the rear hitch  shown on 953nut reply. design look and mounting points make that a very stout platform. I would be interested in getting one . I don't weld anymore so what I see and like I would have to purchase. I live in Ledyard Connecticut, anyone close by with a similar 2" rear hitch for sale/ trade? thank you Pete

Try Lowell's...https://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/hitches-liftkits.html#!/Heavy-Duty-Removable-Receiver-Hitch-with-axle-mounting-hardware/p/84960080/category=23548047

• Like 1

Mows4three

It looks like most, if not all, of these methods to hang extra weight off of the back of a Wheel Horse rely on a hitch or hanging bracket that is mounted to the transaxle in some way.

This begs the question "Has anyone had this casting fail due to excessive weight, and what is considered the carrying capacity of a Wheel Horse transaxlel?"

Would like to know this....

Cheers!

Dave

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Mows4three said:

It looks like most, if not all, of these methods to hang extra weight off of the back of a Wheel Horse rely on a hitch or hanging bracket that is mounted to the transaxle in some way.

This begs the question "Has anyone had this casting fail due to excessive weight, and what is considered the carrying capacity of a Wheel Horse transaxlel?"

Cheers!

Dave

I'm not very good at searching or I would go back and try to find it but at one point I had posed a question about the towing capacity of one of these horses.

As it turns out there are a good many of us that have had 300, 500, even more... Pounds on the back of these things.

I can tell you I personally have had a wood trailer with a tongue weight of between 200 and 400 lbs depending on angle and twists and such ..... on several occasions.

Mows4three
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm not very good at searching or I would go back and try to find it but at one point I had posed a question about the towing capacity of one of these horses.

As it turns out there are a good many of us that have had 300, 500, even more... Pounds on the back of these things.

I can tell you I personally have had a wood trailer with a tongue weight of between 200 and 400 lbs depending on angle and twists and such ..... on several occasions.

Interesting.....

cschannuth

I have right at 300 pounds on the hitch for my loader tractor. One advantage it does have is that my loader frame attaches at six different locations front to back on the tractor. So my receiver hitch actually ties in to that frame where they both attach to the rear axle. I feel like that gives it some extra stability so not everything is supported by the back axle.  

• Like 1

C-85

This is how I added weights to my C-85, now she's a 'heavy weight !' This really helped, and made it much more useful! :)

C-85

052.JPG.fbab63173e56ecad39be1f89cebe08db.JPG070.jpg.a720c855142d2cd1cfe5e9ed249d45d9.jpg1181347024_Feb2012_9.JPG.445edd0477b30facf398a54a37afeb69.JPG1467538527_7-13-16pics113.JPG.49bb0080e67ec633588ee5dddd8ef1f4.JPG1600528722_2015-10-1711_07_14.jpg.e162d565cc26b265f4db0a644f4ea5e8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor
4 hours ago, Mows4three said:

Cheers!

Dave

I cracked a left trans half using a weight box hanging off the axle housings.  I no longer will go overboard with weight.

58531fe836332_CrackInsideCloseup.jpg.8242e5167bbbf0f11327093063895334.jpg

• Like 1

oneroadkingman

cschannuth u are a great fabracator!! nice job there.

• Thanks 1

cschannuth

Ha ha, that is very nice of you to say but if you look closely my welding looks a little rough. It seems to be holding just fine but it’s not very pretty.

• Like 1

oneroadkingman

well one of these days ill have to makea trip down your way and check out tractors.did u ever sell that one u had up for sale last yr?

wallfish
6 hours ago, Mows4three said:

Cheers!

Dave

My 416-8 hangs quite a bit of weight off the back. Not sure how much the backhoe weighs but it's HEAVY (all 3/16" and 1/4" steel). Probably heavier than most hang off there and there hasn't been a problem yet. Plus the action of the hoe in use adds a bit more stress and can be abusive as well. Just support it properly and you should be good.

IMG_0139.JPG.7dd199679abe0f37dde160838b5940f1.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

LOVE that backhoe...

• Like 1

Mows4three
12 hours ago, wallfish said:

My 416-8 hangs quite a bit of weight off the back. Not sure how much the backhoe weighs but it's HEAVY (all 3/16" and 1/4" steel). Probably heavier than most hang off there and there hasn't been a problem yet. Plus the action of the hoe in use adds a bit more stress and can be abusive as well. Just support it properly and you should be good.

Hey there Wallfish...!

I will have to agree that you're swinging a lot of weight around with a backhoe mounted to the rear of the tractor.  I'm not clear on the way it mounts.   Is there any frame attachment point that helps take the load off of the transaxle or is it all mounted to the transaxle?

I have access to a several pieces of steel that came from damaged 4" wide by 2" thick fork lift tines.  In total there's probably just shy of 500 pound in six pieces of steel.   I had been noodling on how to make them into underslung frame weights if I ever have the need or desire to up-size my weights on my Wheel Horses or my White.  Could make for an interesting project but right now I'm swimming in wheel weights.  It's been a good summer for finding a large number of them.   

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 1

cschannuth
14 hours ago, oneroadkingman said:

well one of these days ill have to makea trip down your way and check out tractors.did u ever sell that one u had up for sale last yr?

No. I still have the 857/867.