snowhound

To Purchase or not to purchase?

snowhound

I have a chance to pickup a 414-8 and 518-H with 2 mowing decks (size unknown), snowblower, rototiller, and wheel weights.  The tractors haven't been run in several years.  From the photos it looks like the 414-8 has been used hard, I can see the idler setup for the rototiller on it and it looks like it may have been outside for a while.  The 518-H looks like it hasn't been used much or was better taken care of.  The seller is asking $800.00.  I'm in Western Massachusetts.

Your thoughts on this..

Snowhound

I need to clear up a misunderstanding that I created the emergency fund I'm referring to is for this type of use, our disaster fund it the do not touch fund

Edited by snowhound
received photos that show it does have a Magnum engine
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

To Purchase or not to purchase?

People ask the silliest questions don't they?     BUY THEM!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

snowhound

Thanks, I know it seems like a no brainer but I'll have to borrow a little from our emergency fund to make the deal.  I will most likely sell of the snowblower and rototiller to get the borrowed amount back.  Already have 2 tillers and snowblowers..

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

I have done that very thing several times. Either sell off enough unneeded implements to pay for the horse or sell the horse and get a free implement I needed. With that large a bundle you should be able to come out well. Snow blowers will sell well this time of year in New England and the rototiller and decks can bring good money in the spring.

Edited by 953 nut
fat finger
  • Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I am probably 180 degrees on purchasing. I know that I have bought a few non-running pieces of equipment but those days are most likely over for me. Especially if you need to dip in for some cash. Seems that they tend to stay that way do to time required, other commitments, time of year as Richard commented, etc.

The 414-8 would be decent if running, and the 518-H if it has the Eaton 11 instead of the Eaton 7 transmission.

• Like 2

Pullstart

@snowhound, getting there sounds like an emergency at that price!

• Like 1

Cee245

I'm with @shallowwatersailor on this. Emergency funds are for just that, emergencies... example...  car or tractor breaking down and inopportune times. Sorry to be the downer on this thread!

Cory

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
3 hours ago, snowhound said:

I'll have to borrow a little from our emergency fund to make the deal.

Sounds like something Dave would say no to lol. 

Maybe see if he’ll meet you at where you’re at with what you’ve got in hand, if not, no harm no foul. Just my :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

snowhound

He was originally asking  $1500

• Thanks 1

ronhatch

"I'll have to borrow a little from our emergency fund to make the deal."                                                                                                                                                                      Sorry BUT, I think you need to rethink this deal. In my book, emergency funds are not to be used

to fund a hobby.  I hate to say this, but that's something my kids would do.                                                      

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

My opinion? Buy them.Sounds like a good deal to me.I have a 414-8.It's one of my favorite tractors.I mow with it all Summer.Like others have said,sell off what you don't want or need to re-coup some dough.

• Like 1

snowhound

I picked up the machines today the 414 is running but needs a new gas shutoff and gas line, the 518 is getting a click from the solenoid but doesn't turn over, I'll get a better battery in it tomorrow.  At first we couldn't move the 518, acted like the transmission was locked up but after some investigating found the drive belt was stock to the engine pulley.  Now I just have to make the time to get both ready to use.  Thanks to all for their input and concerns.

• Like 1

ericj

the only way to push a good eaton 700 is to put the mtl all the forward. they do nor push easy like the eaton 1100. see if you can jump the solenoid to get it to crank. the onan service manual tell you how to go through step by step to trouble shoot a non running motor. good luck

eric j 

bellevillerod

+1 on the solenoid and on my onan I bought a new solenoid for a 65 Ford thunderbird from rock auto for like 9.00 works great. In case you were looking at the onan ones for big money. If that helps. 

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, snowhound said:

the 518 is getting a click from the solenoid but doesn't turn over,

650678742_1electrical.jpg.b6e02b4e57da6bfd6f9401166d0813e5.jpg

• Like 2