LengerichKA88

Snapper Model#280845

LengerichKA88

Figured there has to be a Snapper Guy here too, they are red after all...

Just picked up my grandpas old snapper from my aunts farm, found the model number and go to Google a manual and I can’t find anything. 

Okay, no worries, google “Snapper Model List”, I don’t see 280845 listed in the model list. 

I was trying to find 1) a manual, 2) an estimated value/ age, 3) parts avlibility 4) did it have a name like the “Comet”  model🤷🏻‍♂️

I know nothing about snappers, but I’d like to know if it’s be worth to fix up, restore a bit and sell as a machine, parted out, or just canablize it. 

image.jpg

E241904C-A687-435C-81B0-6BD21CBAA98E.jpeg

Edited by Lengerich8
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

kick

They are great little machines.  Mine is a sr95 early 90’s model.  Looks exactly like yours with black steering control and engine (they didn’t change much over the years).  I use mine exclusively for mulching leaves in the fall.  Snapper sells a mulching kit that includes a discharge block off and a ninja blade. Parts availability is good as well.   Check out my tractor forum.com under garden tractors-snapper.  Plenty of information over there. 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Lengerich8 said:

worth to fix up, restore a bit and sell as a machine, 

I've never run one of there riders but I have a push mower from them .

It's a great machine.

Keep it whole and use or sell that way.

They were a good quality rig for the size and ran well from what I've seen and heard over the years.

I've always thought that tube style frame was interesting.

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Used to mow my neighbor's yard for him the last few years of his life with a model very similar to that one... Nice little unit...cut nicely and would turn on a dime...

I was Forest Gump, only it was "Mow Forest, Mow..." 

:twocents-02cents:

• Haha 3

LengerichKA88
4 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

That is it! Now that the lighting is better, coffee in my veins, I see it. I just thought it was a dirty “5” 😂 Thanks @Garry!

@ebinmainemy aunt and uncle used this to mow 2.5 acres for a long time lol. It only looks the way it does cause it’s been in a barn the last few years (they sit on about 11 acres now, so he mows with a Farmall H) 

@SylvanLakeWH I was thinking about calling it Forest, but it’s not a Comet, and I’m sure it’s not he first one named forest lol. 

Thanks fellas, I greatly appreciate the help!!

• Like 1

KC9KAS

I had a RER Snapper and it was supposed to be "shot" when I got it. Used it for years at home and to mow a couple of old cemeteries the fire department maintained. It was a pretty tough mower, and mine was a testament to that, as it was upside down several times and just kept on working! 

• Like 2

LengerichKA88

@KC9KAS, this is a tough little mower, it’s been around longer than me. 

My aunt and uncle gifted it to me, along with a push mower And gas blower to fix and flip, so I could have cash to do my WH’s right. Think the only thing from keeping it going right now is the float in the carb, seems to be stuck open. From what I can tell it’s a common problem when they sit, fingers crossed that once we getvthat straight it’ll run strong. 

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I've never run one of there riders 

Might have one for sale in a month or so if you’re interested 😂😂 :ychain:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine

To be honest... I'd be interested in it but we have nearly zero grass to mow.

We use a push mower.

It is neat looking though!!

LengerichKA88
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

To be honest... I'd be interested in it but we have nearly zero grass to mow.

We use a push mower.

It is neat looking though!!

I was just giving ya a hard time, I’m a long drive from Maine for a mower haha. 

Right now weve got two WH, a Craftsman, and this snapper. 

I also push mow, I like leaving a pattern 😂

Got some interesting looks last time I mowed, seeing as both WH were sitting in the drive as I was pushing 😂🤣

LengerichKA88

Well, rebuild kit came the other day and I hadn’t had a chance to get at it till today.... 15 dollars and 15 minutes later, I have a running snapper! 

Kinda proud of myself cause this was my first carb rebuild 

LengerichKA88

I’ve got another general problem with this mower now.... I did the carb rebuild, used it to now/mulch our leaves, and the rental next door, about 2-3 hours in total. 

Now it is acting like it did before the rebuild. It’ll start, and from the time it takes for me to go from standing next to it to sitting on it it’ll die. On the off chance it doesn’t, as soon as I put it into gear it dies. I can post a video of how it’s acting if anyone would like to see/hear it, but I’m not sure if I should remove and go over the carb again, or if I’m looking at something else that may be wrong. It sat for about a month unmoved, so the only way I was able to get it going at first was with starter fluid. The gas lines have been replaced, as well as the filter, but I’ve found it does help to tilt the gas tank towards the outlet end. Any and all help is appreciated!!

ebinmaine

Kyle it sounds like you need to go back and revisit the carburetor issue.

Also sounds like maybe there might be a little bit of crap inside the fuel tank.

Maybe double-check that and then also look and see if there is anything in the float bowl or needle and seat area?

It takes an absolutely miniscule piece of foreign matter to make the symptoms happen that you are getting.

• Excellent 1

Chris G

Mowed the yard at my dad's with same machine for several years. It was a good machine. Even forrest gump used a snapper.

6f028c37b582bbba1722687f767d29e8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

LengerichKA88
On 12/17/2018 at 2:17 PM, ebinmaine said:

Kyle it sounds like you need to go back and revisit the carburetor issue.

Also sounds like maybe there might be a little bit of crap inside the fuel tank.

Maybe double-check that and then also look and see if there is anything in the float bowl or needle and seat area?

It takes an absolutely miniscule piece of foreign matter to make the symptoms happen that you are getting.

I’ve decided to yank it and go through it again, that’s my project for tomorrow (Children willing 🙄😂). 

I’ll dig into the tank also. 

Cant be too upset, I did get a couple hours out of it before it quit again, and that’s more than it’s had in some time. 

On 12/17/2018 at 6:53 PM, Chris G said:

Mowed the yard at my dad's with same machine for several years. It was a good machine. Even forrest gump used a snapper.

6f028c37b582bbba1722687f767d29e8.jpg

The only thing I was disappointed in was that the steering wasn’t like that^ 😂

It does also now have new tires all the way around, which it was in desperate need of as well. This little fact helped when I had to push it from one shop to the other, luckily it was only about 20 feet 

Ill report back (probably with questions) tomorrow, thanks guys!

• Like 1