ebinmaine

Another whattizzitt...

ebinmaine

IMG_20180908_121805887.jpg.bdf1c358caf43b58beb56a637716f97c.jpgI found this the other day in the pile of auction take home stuff.

The gentleman that passed away was a professional machinist and did a lot of mechanical repairs and had a full-service machine shop.

I gather that it is some kind of a coupler but what is it for?

IMG_20180908_121818164.jpg.bfb7a8e63d4fcef1db5bdb696e559e66.jpg

IMG_20180908_121801290.jpg.68f9422e8b958eed0e704aa070c48881.jpg

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 1

19richie66

We use them to couple engines to pumps. It absorbs some of the vibration between the two and it can be slightly out of alignment and not hurt either of the shafts. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine

Makes sense.

Very small shaft diameter for anything that a Kohler would have used. Only 5/8". I wonder what this guy had this thing for??

pfrederi

Probably an electric motor hooked to almost anything.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Probably an electric motor hooked to almost anything.

Yepp.

I'll bet that's it.

He had a plethora of electric motors too.

c-series don

That is the EXACT coupler I needed to fix my log splitter. Just bought one a couple of months ago! 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, c-series don said:

That is the EXACT coupler I needed to fix my log splitter. Just bought one a couple of months ago! 

Well now you know where to find one next time... Need a spare?

:D

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 2

peter lena

we used to use them on the  poly dextrose flow system, and the hopp 2 miller beer  concentrate ,typically drive the positive gear pumps, the poly was like thick honey and was very susceptible to blowing out seals over any pressure and cooling issue. the lovjoy coupling  was simple and dependable for making a pump swap easier, base was jigged to precisely lock in pump, making alignment a non issue , for a rebuilt spare to install. not used on larger pumps or gear drives, but they were definitely the way to go in a pump staging room with dozens of  mountings and matching flow piping. old school , pete

• Like 3

oliver2-44
1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:

We use them to couple engines to pumps. It absorbs some of the vibration between the two and it can be slightly out of alignment and not hurt either of the shafts. 

Yep, used them at the hydro plants to couple electric motors to bearing lube oil pumps 

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Use them at the factory I work at also when they didn't have the correct I.D. I would machine (bore out and rebroach) to size needed some times just one half as new motors would come in shaft "upsized" , they sell them at TSC as well.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

KC9KAS

I have 4 oil skimmers (at work) that are electric motor driven and the "Love-Joy" connects to the gear box!

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@ebinmaine You better quit going to auctions or you will need another shed for your whatisits. :ROTF:

• Haha 5

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@ebinmaine You better quit going to auctions or you will need another shed for your whatisits. :ROTF:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA !!!!

I have no problem with that.

• Like 1

squonk
30 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Speaking from expeirence? :lol:

Yup Lovejoy connector. Needed  one half of one when replacing a bearing in a Hobart dish machine.  I call up the supply house and ask for a 1/2" Lovejoy connector. They had no clue. :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell

Yep, a shaft coupling that is very forgiving to misalignment and vibration.   Easy inexpensive replacement of the rubber spider by sliding the halves back. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

If any of you can use it it's yours for the cost of the freight. It's not something I'm ever going to use.

Sarge

That style of coupling was my original idea for fixing the weak point in the D series drive system - the Sundstrand uses an odd 17 spline shaft that is very small and the original coupling was cast iron. Over time, they wear, and when it lets go the whole thing is junk. I had talked to LJ Fluid power about having their shafts made with a more common keyed bore to use those very Lovejoy couplings versus the stock, NLA cast iron parts and rubber puck - but they want to stick to stock for some reason. A lot of D's get parted/scrapped because of the factory weak point - I'd like to figure out a solution that has replaceable parts.

Sarge

• Like 1

oliver2-44

@ebinmaine  What size is the shaft hole in that coupling. I’m slowly acquiring parts for a tractor driven Ice cream maker.  I need a way to “easily” couple and uncouple it to a reduction drive off the tractor

peter lena

how about a Falk design t flex coupling ? https://www.google.com/search?q=pump+coupling+spring+grid&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiEtcLq963dAhWHY98KHUfqDRkQsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1024&bih=662#imgrc=zjac4y39zB2yNM:&spf=1536496699121 , is there a picture or more detail of your issue ? we used dozens of different coupling types to work with repetitive failures, sounds like the  thrust impact, could be lessened ,with the spring grid. pete

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

@ebinmaine  What size is the shaft hole in that coupling. I’m slowly acquiring parts for a tractor driven Ice cream maker.  I need a way to “easily” couple and uncouple it to a reduction drive off the tractor

In the picture that shows the end you can see it stamped .625. I haven't physically measured this piece but according to online listings that means it should have a 5/8 inch bore.

Daron1965

tractor driven Ice cream maker. 

I would like to be invited to the ice cream party. :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1