Daron1965

How do you heat your shop, garage?

Daron1965

That unit sure looks nice.  I just may be running some gas line to the garage. 

Pullstart

Test run...  a sign that fall really is here.  This is the only day until mid Oct. that it looks like we’ll see temps over 70.  I’ll run the boiler up to 150 while I’m out cutting wood for the next 2 or 3 hours, then check everything out in the firebox and surrounding.

378CEFCA-F0FE-489A-909F-D4DB65D5A493.jpeg

• Like 2

Pullstart

It’s a good thing I fired up the boiler before the cold really comes, my house zone pump melted.  And it’s a really good thing I kept the water heater turned on for the night!  I’ve got a house full of women, ya know...

618E2806-777A-4EDD-8B61-03D9C4F64805.jpeg

Daron1965
4 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I’ve got a house full of women

You sure have a lot of responsibility. 

Hope the pump is easy to replace. 

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, Daron1965 said:

You sure have a lot of responsibility. 

Hope the pump is easy to replace. 

4 bolts and a pigtail harness to swap. I just replaced the cartridge inside the pump last year, possibly there is a housing issue that took out the cartridge... but either way I figured out that a complete pump is merely $20 more than a cartridge.  So, I now know that I’ll just do the entire pump next time.

82Caddy

Old picture, but I run an overhead radiant tube heater.

27764354033_fd491d5460_k.jpg

It'll make you sweat in there pretty quick on the coldest of days.

• Like 1

Pullstart
On 8/26/2018 at 7:16 PM, Cvans said:

Been burning waste oil in a stove I built. Basically free heat but there is weekly cleaning of the burner involved. 

Do you care to shed more light... or pictures on how you built your stove?  I have a large abundance of used oil from engines, machines, presses, etc.  I’ve been thinking an oil stove might be the way to go!

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Do you care to shed more light... or pictures on how you built your stove?  I have a large abundance of used oil from engines, machines, presses, etc.  I’ve been thinking an oil stove might be the way to go!

Because of needing to supply the power to run the burner that's not quite free heat but it is of course as close as you can get other than maybe cutting your own firewood like we do.

It's a great way to utilize what is essentially a waste product.

Pullstart
30 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Because of needing to supply the power to run the burner that's not quite free heat but it is of course as close as you can get other than maybe cutting your own firewood like we do.

It's a great way to utilize what is essentially a waste product.

I totally agree!  I may be known to have splashed a bit on the fire in the boiler... but I know there’s more efficient and clean ways to do it.

CasualObserver

Thanks for bringing this back up Kevin! @pullstart

My shop is 36x24 with 10 foot 2x6 fully insulated walls. (I did a shop build thread here a while back....)  I roughed in for a radiant in-floor heat system and gas-fired boiler.  Finally  got the boiler hooked up. Really looking forward to see how it performs this year.

20191014_193624.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

I totally agree!  I may be known to have splashed a bit on the fire in the boiler... but I know there’s more efficient and clean ways to do it.

I've never tried to search it online but I think you would find enough information to be able to build your own boiler with the fabrication skills and tools you have.

Filtration. Oil viscosity. Correct nozzle size.

Storage and distribution of the waste oil can be a challenge.

Couple decades ago I worked at a car dealer that had multiple furnaces. They bought a retired home fuel oil delivery truck for storage and tank emptying and filling needs.

rmaynard

Here's an update on my previous post. My Hot Dawg propane heater is still working well, however this summer I drywalled the entire inside.

IMG_20190922_124746067.jpg.4fc6ccba029fd68a3de06d4f351616f8.jpg

This winter will tell how much different it makes we

• Like 5

Mickwhitt

Maynard, what kind d of surgery will you be doing in the new operating theatre? :law-policeblue:

Looks like a great place to work. 

I have two small oil filled electric radiators and they keep my shop warm day and night. It's a single sized garage with a concrete floor and no insulation. 

I steer clear of open flame heaters due to condensation which would wreck my engineering machinery.

Mick 

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Two three ton hvac units heat and 

cool my house and with my shop in the 

basement its comfortable year round!!

CAD6DCC8-BD81-40C3-B0B0-632495040C1A.png

• Like 3

Pullstart
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I've never tried to search it online but I think you would find enough information to be able to build your own boiler with the fabrication skills and tools you have.

Filtration. Oil viscosity. Correct nozzle size.

Storage and distribution of the waste oil can be a challenge.

Couple decades ago I worked at a car dealer that had multiple furnaces. They bought a retired home fuel oil delivery truck for storage and tank emptying and filling needs.

I have a feeling I could build an entire system, but sometimes using other people’s trials and errors helps cut down design time and rework...  

I have a brand new Carlin fuel oil burner that is set up for use with an aquastat control, I’ve been thinking of using that for a base.  I recently leaned about air siphon waste oil burner tubes... the funny thing is that I’ve had an air siphon blow gun for sucking simple green solutions for a cheap pressure washer for about 15 or so years, so I know that works great to atomize liquids.  I also have a number of oil pumps and motors from various fuel oil systems still new in the box, so I imagine I’m close without even beginning... but the rest is building the package, wether I add it to the wood boiler as a secondary heat source (it’s a multi-fuel stove) or just build an independent system for shop hear only.  There are pros and cons to both ways.  A pro is thatI could utilize oil to heat the house and water tanks along with the shop, but a con is that I’d have to build an intricate oil heating system for use in outside sub-zero temps.  

Yadda yadda yadda :D

ebinmaine

I'd be very interested to see how you put that all together and what you end up with. Seems like I would probably lean towards simplicity and just use it for shop heat but I can see why you would want it in the house system as well considering your access to the fuel source.

dclarke

I use a 50000 btu hanging furnace to heat my 26x28 garage. 

1E44FCB8-2373-42D0-8435-D197A89BDCE6.jpeg

• Like 5

CasualObserver

Very nice Denny, I had that same unit in my 2 car garage when we lived in Goodfield, never had a complaint.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

I have to give HUGE props once again to my LC buddy @WHX24 Jim for the heat in my shed.  My shed is 30’x36’ x 2 stories and quite compartmentalized.

B05D5BF0-5544-4D19-88E8-F8AF458BDA22.jpeg.b491fe1b180d48700ce4f58169d4eb41.jpeg

We looked at several possibilities but Jim suggested that we install a conventional house furnace and ductwork to circulate air throughout the building evenly.  

Jim spent several Saturdays last fall and winter to get me set up and I couldn’t be more satisfied with the results. 

1F22363E-3F94-4A0A-9DA7-144A3CDD7FC5.jpeg.cc41be4e5b368e98f99c4965e94bfc5b.jpeg

I built a platform tall enough to store one of my generators underneath. It also keeps the intake high enough to not draw fumes/vapors into the furnace.

5F3A65B6-D9BB-4DD1-9D3A-E819E1A6318E.jpeg.0512ecf599da4c43f7393a58acb84089.jpeg

Jim is a master at HVAC installs and inspite of having to work around all my junk, he did a great job!

0069BA14-A721-401D-964D-3196A659B75C.jpeg.de0ba1f77d2813ebedc0d20e905b41d8.jpeg

He seemed to have a fun time working with my boys—especially Zach!

260EC062-C038-4AD8-B37A-72CEFC046E60.jpeg.c818d3a6da64c8c35ba0506ed110d19b.jpeg

Jim on TV!!!!  

I don’t know the output of the furnace but it does a great job of keeping the shed heated.  Caleb and Judge are sleeping out there tonight even though it will drop down into the twenties...it might not be the right application for everybody but it works great for this.  Jim took care of us well, and we can’t be more thankful!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

bc.gold
On 10/31/2019 at 7:38 AM, pullstart said:

I had a hot water boiler fitted with the clean burn waste oil burner, dealing with oil sludge, clogged filters, antifreeze and water not to mention the amount of ash.

The quickest way to clean used oil is with a centrifuge, you can purchase one or make your own.

At the burner side a constant supply of compressed air is required, the incoming oil spends a bit of time in a pre-heater before going to the nozzle.

The filter element supplied by clean burn is metal mesh, I used to spin it on the metal lathe to get all the trash out.

Happiest day in my life when I sold that boiler a few years back.

Waste restaurant cooking oil is not what its cracked up to be, if the restaurant uses to fryer to cook meats the animal fats turn to lard, some restaurants really over use their oil burning it black.

Waste oils, gear lubes, transmission fluids, hydraulic and engine oils with new age formulas and additives and heavy metals from bearings can't be all that healthy.

To get the fumes above your neighbors you would need a 100 ft stack.

As for bio diesel if you've ever made any you'll soon learn that its not cost effective.

SylvanLakeWH

I use a 1500 watt radiant heater mounted above and pointed at the work bench. Unheated garage so directly on the work area is all I get... that and fingerless gloves and an insulated all in one poopy suit...

Added benefit - keeps the beer cold.

Digger 66

I may opt for one of these in the near future .

• Like 1

tom2p

my heat source   lol

A5911D4E-0026-4BB4-90DA-17EC2C322189.jpeg

cleat

I have a 220 volt milk house heater that will keep my shop fairly warm (at least above freezing) if the furnace breaks down or runs out of fuel

dmhill

2.5 ton 13seer regular house furnace/air conditioner unit in 24x30 metal building with spray foam insulated walls/ceiling

Edited by dmhill
forgot to include information
  • Like 2