Pullstart

Shop project...

Pullstart

It runs again!  There’s a long list of to-do’s before it leaves the shop, but it’s good to hear it again!

Pullstart

I ordered a long list of goodies from rock auto.  They’ll be here some time this week.

• Like 3

Pullstart

The axle is replaced.  I’ll go ahead and remind y’all (myself mainly) that safety on the lift is MOST IMPORTANT!

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Good reminder... glad you’re ok...! Perhaps you should slow up a bit with lifts etc... :hide:

When I’m doing any jack work I always double check everything and use redundant blocking... takes time but worth it...

:twocents-02cents:

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Made some progress with shiny new parts tonight!

• Like 1

Pullstart

I haven’t yet decided if I need to replace fuel lines, or if they are good to go.  They don’t look much different than the day I bought he truck, unlike the brake lines.

LinesToGo sells a great kit that includes the fuel supply, return and vapor lines, from the tank to the engine.  I’ve used them in the past on my plow truck and they fit wonderfully.

https://www.linestogo.com/silverado-fuel-line-1999-c-k1500-ext-cab-4-8l-5-3l-6-0l-fl488-l1-set/ 

Pullstart

Also for turbo reference ( @Achto @PeacemakerJack ) for a 475-525 hp range, this is what an experienced turbo YouTuber told me:

photo.jpg
Turbo Tim's Garage
A 70 with a 80ar exhaust side will spool faster and it will make the power your looking for without making a bunch of heat.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto
17 minutes ago, pullstart said:
A 70 with a 80ar exhaust side will spool faster and it will make the power your looking for without making a bunch of heat.

A 223 in an AR15 with good sights will make prairie dogs disappear fast but it won't leave much for meat.:D

When you get done building the engine are you gonna see if you can find a dyno to put in on for some super tuning or is the asphalt dyno gonna have to get you close enough?

• Haha 1

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, Achto said:

A 223 in an AR15 with good sights will make prairie dogs disappear fast but it won't leave much for meat.:D

When you get done building the engine are you gonna see if you can find a dyno to put in on for some super tuning or is the asphalt dyno gonna have to get you close enough?

A good ‘ole butt dyno... as good as an eye-crometer!  It’ll likely be a while.  I need to get it moving again, then plan the rest of the build for a summertime.

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

I had a “helper” in the shop last night.  I love them kids!

• Heart 1

D_Mac

I had a 98 Chevy 1500 2wd that I would not hesitate driving anywhere. Was a great truck. Used it to pull my pop up camper and canoe trips. A lot of good memories with that truck. Unfortunately the salt from New York winters caught up to it and rust was beginning to be a problem to I sold it.

20130911_180534.jpg

20150611_135923.jpg

phone 171.jpg

• Excellent 2

Pullstart

Rust.  Nobody’s favorite four letter word.  Well maybe the body guy’s.

D_Mac

Body shops around here dont even want to mess with rust problems either. They just want the collision work.

• Like 1

Pullstart

My new fix for that... go down south for a truck!

Achto
15 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Body shops around here dont even want to mess with rust problems either. They just want the collision work.

I spent 12yrs as an auto body tech. There is no money to be made on rust repair.

Customers very rarely want to pay the price to have rust repaired properly. If you cut corners to get them a price that they like, then a few yrs down the road they will return upset because the rust has returned.

Customers have no issue with having their insurance company pay the bill to have collision damage fixed properly. But they will ask you switch the factory parts that are on the estimate for aftermarket parts so they can try to save money on their deductible.

This was my every day experience from writing estimates, dealing with customers, and working as a body bender.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

Pullstart

I feel like I’ve put so much into this truck, hanging on to the fact that it only has 76k on the ticker... I should have just cut my losses years ago and found another southern truck.  Live and learn.  If I can get this safely on the road and get rid of payments though, I’ll be so much further ahead!

• Like 1

D_Mac

Here is my daily driver. 2004.  Just turned 24k. Yes I said 24 not 240. Got a new set of tires on it 2 weeks ago. You dont see many reg cab, short boxes. It is nothing fancy. Yes this is the truck that came from a junk yard. It sat for over 10 years, owners junked it for scrap price. It had 17k when I got it. New fuel, tranny and brake lines. New AC compressor. New brakes all the way around. New shocks, wheels, and tires. Some wires repaired where a rodent chewed. I also put on the step bars, tonneau cover and leveling kit on it. If it wasnt for the fact that its 17 yrs old ... it would still be under warranty !!

20210109_164242.jpg

20210109_164256.jpg

20190908_113410.jpg

20190908_113707.jpg

20190908_113643.jpg

20190908_113720.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 5

Pullstart

Wow @D_Mac, I didn’t know you found it in a junk yard!  Amazing find!  

D_Mac
7 hours ago, pullstart said:

Wow @D_Mac, I didn’t know you found it in a junk yard!  Amazing find!  

My nieces husbands family owns the junk yard. I was in the hospital when it was collected. My nieces husband called my mother and said if she paid the scrap price, what they paid for it, he would do the work needed to get it back on the road. Then they would surprise me with it when I got out of the hospital. Well I was in the hospital way longer then was expected, so they showed me pictures of it as something to look forward to when I got better. Gave me something positive to think about all the weeks I was in there. Was very nice of his family and my own to do that for me. I still get choked up talking about it. Oh yeah .. I also added the sticker on back window that reads ...... " F&CK CANCER "

• Like 1
  • Heart 3

Pullstart
9 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

I also added the sticker on back window that reads ...... " F&CK CANCER "

PERFECT!

now that you mention the whole story, I recall reading that before.  I am so glad that you’re another success story!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Like @Achto, the only way to test out a build is to hook it to a plow :greetings-clapyellow:

7220671F-FA5F-41DF-959D-251E0362B4F5.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

• Excellent 2

Pullstart
On 1/22/2021 at 8:10 AM, pullstart said:

I haven’t yet decided if I need to replace fuel lines, or if they are good to go.  They don’t look much different than the day I bought he truck, unlike the brake lines.

LinesToGo sells a great kit that includes the fuel supply, return and vapor lines, from the tank to the engine.  I’ve used them in the past on my plow truck and they fit wonderfully.

https://www.linestogo.com/silverado-fuel-line-1999-c-k1500-ext-cab-4-8l-5-3l-6-0l-fl488-l1-set/ 

Well, as I suspected, fuel consumption last night was quite high.  The junk in the tank is approximately 4 years old.  There is a yellow streak all over under the truck anywhere I move it.  Fuel lines are on the way, LinesToGo rocks!  

Pullstart

Well, unfortunately something broke again.  I have a very strong feeling that the new sun shell has broken.  This is supposed to be a heavy duty welded version instead of being stamped.  We will see.  I just ate a bite of lunch now I’ll pull it in the shop.

• Sad 4

ebinmaine

Dammit

• Like 1