Pullstart

Shop project...

Pullstart

@squonk how do I know what is oil loss and what was residual refrigerant in the system?  When the pump was leaking originally, it had an oily texture to the liquid.  When the system was disconnected, a freezing liquid came out, bubbling on anything it touched.  The pump has been replaced, but I am not sure how much oil came out first.  Just the pump and lines (in red) from the condenser and coil to the pump were replaced.

2EC64FED-9A23-4BD3-A1AC-509F6BC377D8.jpeg

squonk
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

@squonk how do I know what is oil loss and what was residual refrigerant in the system?  When the pump was leaking originally, it had an oily texture to the liquid.  When the system was disconnected, a freezing liquid came out, bubbling on anything it touched.  The pump has been replaced, but I am not sure how much oil came out first.  Just the pump and lines (in red) from the condenser and coil to the pump were replaced.

2EC64FED-9A23-4BD3-A1AC-509F6BC377D8.jpeg

If you just uncorked it, yes you lost some oil. The compressor should have stated if it had oil in it when it was replaced. If it was a used one, it probably had enough oil in it. If the compressor was dry before installation you need to remove it and add the correct amount of oil to the compressor and turn it by hand to get all the oil thru it. Look at your refrigerant sticker under the hood. It probably says like 8oz oil charge. If the compressor is dry add 4oz to it and 2oz for the lines. If the system takes more or less adjust levels accordingly. This should put you in the ballpark. Evacuating the system with the vacuum pump will not remove any oil. 

I more thing. It would probably be a good idea to change your orifice tube. Look at the smaller ac line coming from your fire wall for a connection and a crimped pipe. It may be all the way to the condenser. That's were it will be. If it's original it may be filled with junk.

NWM.jpg.e22bad54eff63407d2551d2772832d90.jpg

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Last test!  Haul 9600 lbs across town...

CF8FCA4C-FBE4-4119-B269-CD42DA130CCD.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Keep my finger crossed, that all last !

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

:techie-hourglass::angry-tappingfoot::confusion-waiting::techie-offtheair:

:huhs:

:pray:

:auto-layrubber:

:law-policered:

:teasing-poke:

:ROTF:

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

That's what I'm sayin. 

@pullstart.... All is good?? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

All is great!  We cruised to the next town and made a big loop to my in-laws today dump the tanks and all went flawless!

• Excellent 5
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine

Super awesomeness

• Like 1

WHX??
8 hours ago, pullstart said:

Last test!  Haul 9600 lbs across town...

CF8FCA4C-FBE4-4119-B269-CD42DA130CCD.jpeg

Yah well across town ain't exactly a trip to WI. You break down in the loop in Chi town yer only hope is the Dino or Jack to come rescue. We'll be busy with Friday night fish fry! Well maybe I'd come get you with the Dodge ....maybe even flip you few bills for scrap value and so as you can get a REAL truck! 

• Haha 9

Pullstart
18 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

This story above goes like this:

I have that set of 18” wheels with mostly bald tires.  Jack here made the mistake of not smoking off his old meats before the new stickies were mounted on his GTO.  I was thinking a good smoky 27’ long truck burnout would be swell to do this build in... but the better judgement in me says I have a camper to pull a lot here soon and if I break something being dumb, my grave would have to be all of that 27’ to fit me and Norman in it!

E56F1DB7-C4D8-41C9-8224-E2C1DAF5C697.jpeg

• Haha 3

squonk
15 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Yah well across town ain't exactly a trip to WI. You break down in the loop in Chi town yer only hope is the Dino or Jack to come rescue. We'll be busy with Friday night fish fry! Well maybe I'd come get you with the Dodge ....maybe even flip you few bills for scrap value and so as you can get a REAL truck! 

Who’s towing the Dodge?

• Haha 5

SylvanLakeWH
16 hours ago, pullstart said:

All is great!  We cruised to the next town and made a big loop to my in-laws today dump the tanks and all went flawless!

So, you made a big "loop" and dumped the tanks at the in-laws... Again - TMI... :scared-eek:

:ychain:

• Haha 3

Achto

Now you just need to find a dually donor. Stretch the frame 24" and put a 101" x 120" flat bed on Norman.;) 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, Achto said:

Now you just need to find a dually donor. Stretch the frame 24" and put a 101" x 120" flat bed on Norman.;) 

What about the sleeper Dan?

• Haha 2

Pullstart

We saw a 6 door super duty dually heading north on I-69 in Indiana yesterday... now we thinks Norman needs a few more doors!  I thought about a flat bed, but a toy hauler camper makes more sense in a way :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Many moons ago I saw a crew cab that was on an old style bus chassis. Regular GM bus nose with a whole pile of doors down the side. Interior was a limo with like an 8-ft seat on one side and a 12 on the other. One whole side the doors were all welded in place and couldn't be opened. The bed if I remember correctly was 12 ft long. That's what you need........

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Any longer though and it won’t much fit on the hoist!

• Like 1

Achto
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

We saw a 6 door super duty dually heading north on I-69 in Indiana yesterday... now we thinks Norman needs a few more doors!  I thought about a flat bed, but a toy hauler camper makes more sense in a way 

Trucks are hauling stuff, a bus is for hauling people.:twocents-twocents: Hence my dislike for 4 door trucks with a 5.5ft box. Add a 10ft flat bed, trade the camper for a toy hauler. You can head to the big show with a couple tractors in the toy hauler & an empty truck. You can head home with a full toy hauler & a full truck.:thumbs2::lol:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 3

Pullstart

11.28 mpg hauling the camp rig... close to 10k lbs!  That’s about 1 mpg improvement and I’m guessing it’s due to turbocharger and airflow modification!

• Excellent 6

SylvanLakeWH

That ain’t bad...! Not bad at all...

No issues running? All good?

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
8 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

That ain’t bad...! Not bad at all...

No issues running? All good?

I was a little low on coolant this morning but it could have been an air bubble.  I’ll watch it :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
14 hours ago, Achto said:

Trucks are hauling stuff, a bus is for hauling people.:twocents-twocents: Hence my dislike for 4 door trucks with a 5.5ft box. Add a 10ft flat bed, trade the camper for a toy hauler. You can head to the big show with a couple tractors in the toy hauler & an empty truck. You can head home with a full toy hauler & a full truck.:thumbs2::lol:

I'll remind you of that next time we head to the BS and SOMEONE has to ride on the flat bed!:lol:

• Haha 3

PeacemakerJack

Sounds good chief!!! Norman is doing his job as he should.  

A couple of mechanics from the church we are currently at in Dayton, OH area agreed to install my new trailer hitch on the Excursion!  What a production!

9899C180-AE8A-4918-9DF7-4BC2A6E217B8.jpeg.410d4496ded2bf47f1db9018103ac6b0.jpeg

18 years in the salt belt and this factory receiver was JUNK!  Completely rotted on all four sides and removal of the six bolts was challenging but nothing compared to the final two—warning to anyone needing to change their Excursion receiver hitch!

The Feds determined that the Excursion fell under the station wagon category and because of its 44 gallon fuel tank in the back, they didn’t want the vehicle ever driven without the receiver since it was a protection from a rear impact collision.  I guess they figured it would help to keep from an impact explosion on a gasser.  Anyway, two of the bolts have round heads.  We didn’t realize this when we started to take it apart.  The most efficient way to do it would be to drop the fuel tank out, heat those two bolts and spin out with a pipe wrench.  In our case, we used a Sawzall and about 4 blades through the grade 10.9 bolts!

D7967D32-AF47-4F66-9AB1-E7ED364407F9.jpeg.7e36491128a9486a51eb2148c7ce72aa.jpeg

The installation only took about 25 minutes once the old rusty one was out!  Many thanks to those guys for tackling a rusty nasty project👍🏻👏🏻

• Like 7

Achto
14 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

9899C180-AE8A-4918-9DF7-4BC2A6E217B8.jpeg.410d4496ded2bf47f1db9018103ac6b0.jpeg

That hitch looks fine ! Just needs a little metal, that's all.:lol: 

• Haha 6

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: I should’ve weighed it Dan—it was probably 25% lighter than the new one!😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2