dclarke

'67 Lawn Ranger for the grandkids

953 nut
12 minutes ago, dclarke said:

planning on adding a second clutch pedal so the kids can reach it

I have seen a couple at the Big show that use the implement lift lever as a hand clutch. They were spring loaded so if the child lets go of it the tractor will stop. Seems like a good safe way to handle the child driver, if they were to fall off it will stop at once.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

dclarke
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I have seen a couple at the Big show that use the implement lift lever as a hand clutch. They were spring loaded so if the child lets go of it the tractor will stop. Seems like a good safe way to handle the child driver, if they were to fall off it will stop at once.

Interesting. I’d sure like to see pics of that setup. 

WHNJ701

Looks like a fun project, similar idea with the hand clutch I had both my kids operating tractors young I redid them each a panzer. (I had to get 2 since they couldn't share) they use a hand drive which is easy for them to use.  plus when they were learning I could walk along side and grab it if needed

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Nice work Den.

:popcorn:

• Thanks 1

dclarke
9 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Richard, I found a video on youtube of a guy modifying a hand lever and it looks like that might be the way to go,espicially while the boys are so young.  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shynon

Denny, @Terry M has a great clutch/brake set up and @prondzy has his modified with floorboards, hope they will chime in with pics. By the way looks like a fun rewarding build.

• Like 2

dclarke

I started piecing this thing back together to see what modifications I need to make before paint. I had to modify the R.H.side panel and the tool tray to clear the hi/lo shift lever and the tranny dipstick on the 8 speed. 

DSC07012.JPG

DSC07010.JPG

DSC07011.JPG

• Like 7

dclarke

I've managed to get a little more done this week. I had to shorten and bend the trans hi/lo shift lever to get it where I wanted it, I also added a brace to stiffen it some then cut a slot for it in the tunnel cover. There was some play in the frame where the drive belt idler pulley shaft goes thru it so I reamed the holes out and added bushings to fix that. Then I cut a pair of foot rests from a B series tractor down to fit this Ranger and added a couple of braces to the frame to support them. I've still got a little tweaking to do to them but I'm pretty happy with how they fit. I decided to use a different steering wheel so I need to get the seat mounted and figure out what height I want the steering wheel to be. In the pic it's mounted to the original Ranger steering shaft and I think it might be too low. 

DSC07022.JPG

DSC07024.JPG

DSC07026.JPG

DSC07018.JPG

DSC07014.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Shynon

Looking good Denny :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

rmaynard

Nice work Denny. 

• Thanks 1

JPWH

Looks like a good fit! All smiles too.

Shynon
17 minutes ago, dclarke said:

Ryder came over to see how it fits. 

DSC07043.JPG

How long before it's done grandpa

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

dclarke
3 minutes ago, Shynon said:

How long before it's done grandpa

I’m hoping before the leaves change. Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

prondzy

Looks good Denny, guess i better get back in the garage to finish mine for the kids too!

• Like 4

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, dclarke said:

I’m hoping before the leaves change. Lol

Oohhh.., I think you'll pull that off alright....

Great progress so far!!

• Like 1

Terry M

Coming along nice , Denny !! :handgestures-thumbupright:

dclarke

I only have one pic of my progress this week. I've got the frame and several small parts painted and I disassembled the tranny in order to blast the cases and have it back together with new seals. I'm hoping to have a rolling frame in the next week or so. 

DSC07058.JPG

• Like 6

dclarke

Got a little bit done on a Sunday morning. 

DSC07063.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Terry M

Those Lug nuts look Nice, Denny..:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Wildhorse

Very nice! Love the Rangers! 

• Thanks 1

dtallon

Thanks for sharing Denny.  I will be following your progress.  I have an 8-speed and Kohler I am wanting to put in a Ranger as well.  

Dave

• Like 1

dclarke

The last few days I've been painting parts and have been able to get a few of them bolted on. I replaced the brake lining with a new one that I had in stock from our vendor Bob Maynard, had to reconfigure the rod that operates the brake band to get it to work and made a link to connect both pedals. Also got the front wheels on and some of the steering installed. Now it's back to watching paint dry. 

DSC07076.JPG

DSC07077.JPG

DSC07081.JPG

DSC07084.JPG

DSC07085.JPG

• Excellent 6