posifour11

Harbor freight generator

posifour11

Y'all know I don't like the china stuff, but that's where almost anything is made anyway. 

Now that the disclaimer is done. I picked up a 7000/6500 watt generator because I was the first to have cash and actually make the phone call. 

Owner's story (and I believe it after talking to him) is that he made sure it would run his well and stuck it in the corner of his garage. He got a whole house generator last year and just decided to get rid of it. 

I'm assuming it needs a good fuel system cleaning and I'll follow that with hard work for a while to make sure it is up to it. 

My main question is to ask if anyone knows the actual equivalent for these engines in case I have to order parts? I may want a spare carburetor. I'm lost when I even think about how a generator even works. 

I removed the part above about me losing my memory. Everyone that knows me, knows I'm doing it. 

Sparky

I quick search shows that Ebay has piles of Predator stuff available. Also found that Amazon had quite a bit as well but it was mosty 212cc stuff. I would think your gen has a bigger motor than that.

• Like 1

posifour11
12 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I quick search shows that Ebay has piles of Predator stuff available. Also found that Amazon had quite a bit as well but it was mosty 212cc stuff. I would think your gen has a bigger motor than that.

Yeah. This one is probably a 340 or 390 or equivalent. 

I guess I need to go backwards from the model number and hope for the best. The original owner gave me the manual and a spare wheel, so I figure he was honest. 😀

wallfish
10 minutes ago, posifour11 said:

I guess I need to go backwards from the model number and hope for the best

Take that model number and go forward. Using that and the serial number is always the best way to ensure you're ordering the correct parts.

• Like 2

Howie

They sell an eight horse and a 13 horse power engine.

Achto

At around 500ft above sea level it takes 1.5hp to produce 1000w of power, so 6000w would require a 9hp engine. A quick look at their site shows that HF uses a 420cc 13hp engine on their 6500w gens. This is a good thing as you should have more engine than you need.

Now that I have some education out of the way.:D Sorry! Do to the fact that the Predator is basically a Honda clone, many Honda engine parts will inter change with the Predator engine.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4

Racinbob

Kudos on trying to buy American but good luck with that as I do the same. But, unfortunately, "American made" these days really means "American assembled". The industry standard for small single phase generators is 2hp per kw. It looks like the Predator generators in the 5.5kw to 7kw use a 420cc motor as do what looks to be the majority of other generators in that size range. Their current line up has a 8750/7000 and a 6500/5500 but I don't see anything at 7000/6500. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a rating thing that they changed. Any idea on the age of it? Numbers on the motor? :)

• Like 2

Rob R

Purchase the power Head HF sells and put it on a Horse.......  

Wheel Horse Gen Set  (3).JPG

Wheel Horse Gen Set (1).JPG

Wheel Horse Gen Set (2).JPG

Wheel Horse Gen Set (3).JPG

Gt 14 Gen Set (2).JPG

Gt 14 Gen Set (3).JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

WHX??
1 hour ago, Racinbob said:

Any idea on the age of it? Numbers on the motor?

I think Bob is fishing for some :text-coolphotos: Posi! :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob

I'm busted. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking it might be the same motor they use now and just the kw ratings are different. That should make the parts search easier. That predator was one of them on my list when I was looking. :)

• Like 1

posifour11
On 4/26/2018 at 8:12 AM, WHX20 said:

I think Bob is fishing for some :text-coolphotos: Posi! :)

I apologise for not doing it sooner. I thought this thread was deleted because it wasn't for an "other brands" but just another thing. I didn't remember that there was a tool section. Sorry. @Racinbob, it seems to run well on the 13 hp Honda carb I bought from Amazon. 

Back in my army days, we had 5K units that were super quiet. I'll have to get used to the noise. But, for the $200 purchase price and a <$20 Amazon carburetor, I have a generator that could run most of my house. 

The only reason I thought about messing with it was that we lost power yesterday for a few hours. I can deal with no AC, (we never had it growing up) but since I got home, I need the noise of a fan or something. 😀 

I had a conex sized CAT generator right behind my hooch in Iraq. It was the only thing that kept me alive a couple times. (It took the brunt of a couple mortars). 

@WHX20 thanks for reminding me. 😀

0719181235.mp4

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

posifour11

@Racinbob, the literature says it's a 16 hp, but this was probably before the big rash of lawsuits. I'm running a full tank of real gas with a little "startron" through it before I make it do any work. I expect that this will mostly be used for my flux core welder and air compressor in my "horse barn" since it's way too far to run electric. Then, as a secondary for running the household stuff when needed. 

• Like 1

posifour11

@Racinbob, I can look at my Amazon stuff and point you to what I got if you want. It's been running for the past couple hours without a load and no sputters yet. 

Chinese carb on a Chinese engine seems to work ok.🤣

I won't share my thoughts again. We all love American made stuff.

• Haha 1

posifour11
On 4/26/2018 at 7:43 AM, Rob R said:

Purchase the power Head HF sells and put it on a Horse.......  

Wheel Horse Gen Set  (3).JPG

Wheel Horse Gen Set (1).JPG

Wheel Horse Gen Set (2).JPG

Wheel Horse Gen Set (3).JPG

Gt 14 Gen Set (2).JPG

Gt 14 Gen Set (3).JPG

@Rob R, I'd love to have one! But, at the cheap price, I couldn't fight it. I'd love to have a generator on my (hopefully, soon) diesel horse. But, to keep the wife happy, I need running water and a working water heater! 

I do want the powerhead! But, I only spent $220 for a great generator. That should do it all for us. 

That doesn't mean that I won't try to finish my diesel horse. I'm going to do it!

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

I have one of the 13 HP , HF generators about 3 years old. Ran for 54 hours , just stopping for fill ups, earlier this year ran like a top. No problems , no oil usage. I think my is the 7500 model. Best part it is electric start.

• Like 2