Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Ed Kennell
1 minute ago, Lee1977 said:

I have though of using a hole saw to fix that problem, just haven't done it yet. 

I may have to look at that tomorrow.

SylvanLakeWH
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

What is that by size of rock? 

It’s crushed limestone gravel up to 1.5” with the fines still in it. (Unwashed). The fines work like mortar and lock up the gravel. You want crushed, not rounded or pebbles… they will never lock up.

Here’s my trailer storage area. Hard as a rock…

image.jpeg.ddc057e2f51673fcd7a1e0c448b280c3.jpeg

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

limestone

That looks similar to the gray top coat that's in a lot of the pictures. It doesn't quite hammer down and stay put though.

Trina's mom suggested combining what's there with some concrete as was said here somewhere.

• Like 2

953 nut

@ebinmaine, runner crush is the best base for a good hard driveway. It is a combination of 1 1/2" crushed granite and stone dust. It has great compaction and won't erode once it has been compacted.

• Like 2

squonk

There may be differences though the years but on my 520 I tore it apart and put a 45 degree grease fitting in and was able to grease it after that but it was still tough to get to. One reason why I don't like the 300 series and up tractors. They made a simple to service design a lot harder.

Ed Kennell
52 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

@ebinmaine, runner crush is the best base for a good hard driveway. It is a combination of 1 1/2" crushed granite and stone dust. It has great compaction and won't erode once it has been compacted.

:text-yeahthat:      Back in the day when I worked construction installing new sanitary sewer systems, crusher waste was what we used to repair the streets as we installed the sewer mains and laterals.     

• Like 2

peter lena

@Ed Kennell  @Lee1977  , why not just screw in a  grease hose at that  grease fitting spot ?  that problem is not going away , the way you approach it , will make it simple / easy .  pete

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
45 minutes ago, peter lena said:

screw in a  grease hose

That's a possibility Pete,  but first I have to be able to get to the fitting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

peter lena

@Ed Kennell  got that , something else you might think of  is a section of  steel brake  line with that ferrule fitting , easily adapt  that to screw in start point . getting your best access exposure  to that spot will help out a lot . sending out some good ju ju  to you on that ,  pete 

• Like 1

pfrederi
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

That looks similar to the gray top coat that's in a lot of the pictures. It doesn't quite hammer down and stay put though.

Trina's mom suggested combining what's there with some concrete as was said here somewhere.

Had my Driveway redone with 2A modified (3/4 stone down to dust).  Big vibratory roller (I mean big 6'x10' roller).  You could rent a plate compactor.

Pullstart

@Heatingman nice B80!  I am an even bigger fan, of that white Chevy in the background!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Had my Driveway redone with 2A modified (3/4 stone down to dust).  Big vibratory roller (I mean big 6'x10' roller).  

What you guys are describing I think is the gray stuff that's the top layer of the whole project in there.

Sounds like what we need to do is reshape the ramp a little bit more and then either relocate or purchase more of that.

Handy Don
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

What you guys are describing I think is the gray stuff that's the top layer of the whole project in there.

Sounds like what we need to do is reshape the ramp a little bit more and then either relocate or purchase more of that.

The dampening and compacting are important to the result. Also, it is pretty steeply sloped so runoff has to be considered. Adding a bit of crown on the sloped run will make sure that rain runoff doesn't go straight downhill and carve ruts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi
4 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

The dampening and compacting are important to the result. Also, it is pretty steeply sloped so runoff has to be considered. Adding a bit of crown on the sloped run will make sure that rain runoff doesn't go straight downhill and carve ruts.

:text-yeahthat:

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Renting a walk behind compactor would be a couple hundred bucks for a weekend. Obviously money well spent.

• Like 2

Handy Don
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Renting a walk behind compactor would be a couple hundred bucks for a weekend. Obviously money well spent.

The heavier the better ;)

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Only option I have is just under 200 lb

Edited by ebinmaine

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I also have the backhoe bucket which would give great press down but not so much vibration crush

Heatingman
3 hours ago, Pullstart said:

@Heatingman nice B80!  I am an even bigger fan, of that white Chevy in the background!

Thanks.

I bought that GMC new back in 07. Its an 06, bare bones standard bed and cab truck. The way I like em. If I could have gotten an all metal dash and manual transmission, I would have.

But keeping that truck from losing the rust battle takes constant vigilance. 

Edited by Heatingman
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I used the :wh:. Rolled it back and forth over the 21aa, moving over 3” at a time and locked it right up… compaction achieved with turf tires. No issues 3 years later.

• Excellent 2

Lee1977

I looked at mine that steering block grease fitting is too close to the corner and the panel has a notch cut out of that corner. There is a 90 degree grease fitting in my 312 and it's not too hard to get to.

• Like 2

Handy Don
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I also have the backhoe bucket which would give great press down but not so much vibration crush

Ideally, a roller but they don't work all that well on slopes. Even plate vibrators can be a handfull to manage on sloping surfaces.

@SylvanLakeWH's turf tire idea is great on nearly level ground or going smoothly downhill, where the tractive force of the wheels isn't trying to dislodge the surface (which would happen when trying to drive uphill, as EB has observed).  

Also, having easily shifted sand in the base is always going to try to undermine any future tight surface you put on there.

Edited by Handy Don

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Also, having easily shifted sand in the base is always going to try to undermine any future tight surface you put on there.

I can see the logic there.

Solutions?

Maybe a layer of course Stone below the finer surface material?

Larger stones on the edges to keep things in place?

Ed Kennell
25 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

I looked at mine that steering block grease fitting is too close to the corner and the panel has a notch cut out of that corner. There is a 90 degree grease fitting in my 312 and it's not too hard to get to.

I got lucky.    I found the fitting on the left side. It had a 45 ell pointing forward and with my U joint on the grease gun, I was able to turn the wheels full right and reach it by going  in front of the steering tower.

• Like 4