Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Gregor
2 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Drill holes in the piston crowns and you'll have handy pencil/pen holders. :handgestures-thumbup:

Just checked a pencil. .029 - .031 I think would be a good spec.

Can you tell I'm getting bored, waiting on parts? :eusa-whistle:

• Haha 5

pfrederi
1 hour ago, squonk said:

As they used to say in NASCAR. "She done blowed up Cale!"

Tore @D_Mac 's blown 875 engine apart to save anything salvageable. Block not only had a chunk out of the cylinder but it is cracked about 3/4 of the way around!

Piston is going in my "Haul of Fame! :lol:IMG_20210907_145817335_HDR.jpg.2a58c32b1cab13753873a85dcfd70f01.jpg

I know everybody is down on balance gears but doesn't look like they were involved in these failures..  Would be interesting to know how many failures there were in balance gears as opposed to rods etc...

• Like 1

squonk
5 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I know everybody is down on balance gears but doesn't look like they were involved in these failures..  Would be interesting to know how many failures there were in balance gears as opposed to rods etc...

2 pistons including the one from the 875 engine looked like the oil wasn't changed or checked when it was supposed to. The 875 piston had quite a bit of scoring. The one next to it had a little. The oddball 16 piston as allegedly on a new rod and I think it was either installed wrong or shoddy workmanship.

• Like 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

Just checked a pencil. .029 - .031 I think would be a good spec.

Mighty small pencils you got there, how do you keep from breaking them?  :teasing-tease:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Mighty small pencils you got there, how do you keep from breaking them?  :teasing-tease:

He's very gentle?

• Haha 1

D_Mac

Just to make it clear.... thats the way I got that engine...... I did not blow it up !!! Hope you got some good parts off it @squonk !!

• Haha 3

Gregor
18 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I really hate decimal points.

• Haha 2

Snoopy11
2 hours ago, squonk said:

shoddy workmanship.

:text-yeahthat:

New rod... broke...? 

Long time since I heard anything like that @squonk

I'd be like... :angry-cussingblack:

Don

• Haha 1

gvthnks

I made it live again...

Posted an introduction last night, but the short version is that I picked up this 72 Raider 12 this weekend at an estate sale.  Motor was partially disassembled but not locked up so I took a change because the price was right. 

I had to fix the starter, clean the carb and points and replace the lost coil that wasn't in the box of parts it came with.

After all that, voila, she lives again.

Yes, I know it's dark video but when you're excited you work at night when the parts show up:)

Few things please me more than making someone's "junk" run again. 

Edited by gvthnks
link to intro added
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 8

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, gvthnks said:

run again

:text-welcomeconfetti:

And .... Very nice work. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

So, size does mater.... in pencils???  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Snoopy11
16 hours ago, gvthnks said:

when you're excited you work at night when the parts show up:)

I've been there, done that. 

Out working until midnight...:laughing-rolling:

Don

WheelHorse520H
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

I've been there, done that. 

Out working until midnight...:laughing-rolling:

Don

Geez, midnight?! After starting around 6:30 A.M. I am toast by about 8:30 that night, even when my new parts show up. I also have fairly close neighbors though.

Andrew

Snoopy11
Just now, WheelHorse520H said:

Geez, midnight?! After starting around 6:30 A.M. I am toast by about 8:30 that night, even when my new parts show up. I also have fairly close neighbors though.

Andrew

I live in the sticks. My thing is... I can't sleep until a project is at least somewhat worked-out. I lay there and think about how to fix it all night... :hide:

Don

• Like 2

WheelHorse520H
13 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

I live in the sticks. My thing is... I can't sleep until a project is at least somewhat worked-out. I lay there and think about how to fix it all night... :hide:

Don

Me too, but after 12+ hours I fall asleep anyway, but wake up earlier still thinking about it.

stevasaurus

Sometimes, the best thing to do is stand back, have a beer, go to bed thinking about it and wake up with an idea to check in the morning.  9 times out of 10...you have figured it out.  :occasion-xmas:  You can actually learn more when things do not go good.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Gregor

Thomas Edison: "I have not failed, not once.  I’ve discovered ten thousand ways that don’t work."

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

8ntruck
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Sometimes, the best thing to do is stand back, have a beer, go to bed thinking about it and wake up with an idea to check in the morning.  9 times out of 10...you have figured it out.  :occasion-xmas:  You can actually learn more when things do not go good.

Yup.  The project's that I remember most from my 40 year engineering career are the ones that had issues.  The projects that went like clockwork are not as vivid.  

8ntruck

I exercised both horses today.  The C-195 did a little trailer work hauling wood around, and the No Name did a little mowing.  My chipper/shredder got the biggest workout.  It ground up the leftover sticks, twigs, bark, and other debris that remained when I got the wood pile moved.

Next project will be waking the roto tiller from its 10 or 12 year nap and prepping the ground around the old wood pile for seeding.  If I remember right, last time I ran the tiller, it needed 1/2 choke to run reasonably.  Clean the carb, or replace it?  If I can get a new one from B&S for not too outrageous an amount, I think replacement better than rebuild. 

• Like 1

WheelPuke

After a day of classes and homework, I finished cleaning the underside of my 48” deck with some kerosine, preparing it to oil. I sharpened my blades, ensuring they were still balanced. I checked on the loose spindle bolts and found they did not have any threading to engage on the spindle. I retreaded one hole without issue and my die broke inside the second spindle hole I was re-threading. I have to take this to someone to work on. I can’t fix this F-up. I broke a freakin Snap-On. 🤮 plus the first hole blew out some metal. Spindle ruined I think. The deck, wheel weights, plow bracket, mule drive, and tractor have all been washed so the paint can soak up some penetrating oil. I’ll do the oil treatment tomorrow after class and homework. I’d have done the plow but I didn’t have a way to move it my self or any help on hand, so it will have to wait. I found the tractor has a head light out, blade broke at a sodder joint while washing the inside of the hood. Also my right side steering arm falls off the ball that comes off the steering linkage at the union. It was zip-tied and now I know why. I photographed it before I cut them off just in case this was an issue. I’ll tie it up until I can find the parts to repair this. 

99B9C2DD-460B-48A4-9E12-1B579F146382.jpeg

AA747704-6DCE-40A3-A465-BB50CF680034.jpeg

Edited by WheelPuke
  • Sad 2

lynnmor
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

If I remember right, last time I ran the tiller, it needed 1/2 choke to run reasonably.  Clean the carb, or replace it?  If I can get a new one from B&S for not too outrageous an amount, I think replacement better than rebuild. 

Removing some dirt can't be a big deal, rarely does a carburetor need replaced.

8ntruck

@WheelPuke I would be tempted to drill those tapped holes in the spindle and go to a through bolt, nut and washer as a fix.  Use a button head cap screw with the head on the spindle side with the nut and lock washer on top.  Flat washers under the head of the bolt and lock washer would be a good idea too.

Good lucl.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

Clean the carb, or replace it? 

4 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Removing some dirt can't be a big deal, rarely does a carburetor need replaced.

In most situations I'd agree. 

Usually a good cleaning will fix it. 

• Like 2

lynnmor

Yes, a thru bolt is the way to fix it.  You were using a tap, not a die and it appears that the size was too large.  I have never seen steel that will absorb oil, otherwise they couldn't keep it in the cans.  You can apply oil of your choice to the deck underside but it will disappear during the first mowing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1