Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

tom2p
1 hour ago, Flat Thunder Channel said:

I fixed it!! Check out the repair video....

you da man - nice job / nice video !

it occurred to me while watching you remove the blower housing cover fasteners you could probably just rip the housing off with those arms  lol

btw - snug the nut on the hydro cam / lever (under the seat) so you don't have to keep your right hand on the hydro motion control lever 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

Flat Thunder Channel

@tom2p  Thank You!  I think was ready to smash the cover at one point.  The re-assembly was getting a little frustrating!  Note why I cut out the original sound to keep it PG friendly :)

I will share this information with Dad.  I already suggested adjusting the travel of it.   When in 'road gear' (full forward) your hand hits the console.  The throttle also needs tightened up as it slowly drifts down during operation.  Any ideas on a simple fix?  Dad is thrilled that it finally runs right again!  We never spent the time to fix the old girl until now.  He plans to install a homemade 2" receiver hitch and a small deck.  Now he can utilize it regularly mowing lawn on occasion and moving trailers around.  👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
10 hours ago, LandoCommando214 said:

FINALLY got to mow today for the first time! What a sweet taste of victory, thanks to the help of everyone here. Just a few weeks ago, this C-160 was in pieces, slowly eating away at my stimulus check..:blink:  I still want to do a full resto thread on this build, but I'm waiting on a few more parts so I can take photos and show off the @jimkemp muffler I've received at the end ;). Until then, she's rockin' the very loud, rusted-out Nelson that has blown it's guts out entirely over the years. Sorry neighbors :music-rockout:

IMG_20200526_191333.jpg

Snapchat-1792622059.jpg

IMG_20200516_181850 (1).jpg

Excellent work, @LandoCommando214!  If I haven’t welcomed you yet, well then :text-welcomeconfetti: fellow Michigander!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

CCW
16 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm not at all fond of the receiver being so loose. Here in our rough forest terrain the trailer shucks all over the place.

The person who makes those hitches really should switch over to a thicker stock. That would make the hole smaller so a 2" square hitch ball mount would fit better.

The fit of the draw bar in the receiver I built for myself was also too loose.  I managed to correct the problem using some shims used in construction. 

Shims (Medium).JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bottjernat1

Put new tail lights on my 1976 d series wheelhorse and replaced the right headlight. 

back end d-160.JPG

IMG_20200522_190745000.jpg

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH
21 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I bought that same hitch maybe 3 years ago. I've had it on two or three tractors now.

To be completely honest I was not super impressed with it when I first got it. Thought it was quite light duty for the 50 plus dollars I had into it.

That said, I have not had any problems with it except for when I go to install it I have to be conscious of not over tightening because the bolt mount plates are not very thick.

I'm not at all fond of the receiver being so loose. Here in our rough forest terrain the trailer shucks all over the place.

The person who makes those hitches really should switch over to a thicker stock. That would make the hole smaller so a 2" square hitch ball mount would fit better.

Just added same hitch to my WHrat WHrecker today... It is now my dedicated tow / tug with front / back hitches and a winch.

Agree it is a light duty hitch and loose, but for what I wanted it fits the bill. I used a couple metal shims and it is snug as can be... 

I also agree with @Tractorhead regarding a weak link... For what I will be hauling around this is way more than adequate...

DA534C02-F9FA-4101-A346-C509782F7C37.jpeg

E5D7F837-D609-4004-B00F-791427A7DB78.jpeg

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

more than adequate

I have no way of measuring it but I have probably had 300 to 400 lb on that hitch multiple times and never had an issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977
14 hours ago, Flat Thunder Channel said:

@tom2p  Thank You!  I think was ready to smash the cover at one point.  The re-assembly was getting a little frustrating!  Note why I cut out the original sound to keep it PG friendly :)

I will share this information with Dad.  I already suggested adjusting the travel of it.   When in 'road gear' (full forward) your hand hits the console.  The throttle also needs tightened up as it slowly drifts down during operation.  Any ideas on a simple fix?  Dad is thrilled that it finally runs right again!  We never spent the time to fix the old girl until now.  He plans to install a homemade 2" receiver hitch and a small deck.  Now he can utilize it regularly mowing lawn on occasion and moving trailers around.  👍

Simple fix for the throttle is clamp the hell out of it with large vice-grip pliers, some put a small bolt through it for a more permanent fix.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 3

Flat Thunder Channel

@Lee1977  I figured it was something along that line.  I believe I have seen tractors motoring around with VGT; 'Vise grip technology' permanently in position.   Haha.  I will try a through bolt.  Thanks, :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Flat Thunder Channel said:

@Lee1977  I figured it was something along that line.  I believe I have seen tractors motoring around with VGT; 'Vise grip technology' permanently in position.   Haha.  I will try a through bolt.  Thanks, :) 

On the 60s vintage tractors where they have a pull type cable people have been known to use clothespins. 1 for half throttle, 2 for full throttle....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 1

Greentored

Picked up a very intact B100 barn find yesterday and solidified an age old lesson: if youre too excited to look things over closely, make sure youre not paying much'- which luckily I didnt. Rolled the engine by hand, felt some resistance, loaded her up. Resistance must have been a combination of valve springs and excitement- more the second:lol:  Broken top ring, ring lands beat to the point of leaving a burr on the piston, and rod babies in the oil pan- anyone want to guess what happened here? 

Luckily, there is very little bore wear, and no other damage aside from piston and rod.

On a side note- check out these headlights!  OEM Horse add on accessory?

wh33.jpg

wh32.jpg

wh31.jpg

Edited by Greentored
  • Like 4
  • Sad 5

ebinmaine

@Greentored

Good-looking solid rig. A little bit of JB weld and you're back in business.

Like those headlights. I'm fairly new to the Horse game but I haven't seen anything like that yet....

• Like 1

Pullstart

@Greentored nice find!  Those headlights... creative use of a sticker :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 1

WHX??
13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

On the 60s vintage tractors where they have a pull type cable people have been known to use clothespins. 1 for half throttle, 2 for full throttle....

I got a 401 and everyone asks me why there are clothes pins on the shift lever! :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Greentored
18 minutes ago, pullstart said:

@Greentored nice find!  Those headlights... creative use of a sticker :handgestures-thumbupright:

Dang, thought maybe I had a ultra rare, flea bay 500 dollar sale set of headlights :lol::lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Greentored
1 minute ago, WHX24 said:

I got a 401 and everyone asks me why there are clothes pins on the shift lever! :lol:

And now I know what to do with the 1277 lol, the constant throttle adjusting was my only gripe after putting her back to use.

• Like 1

Pullstart

There’s a clothespin in this pic too...  they work just dandy!

9F30CF97-701A-419D-8231-9CC8DE47039C.jpeg

• Like 3

Dan.gerous

Today I changed the gearbox oil on one of the C125's. Pleasantly surprised to find that it had no water in it, but it was pretty black.

Also changed the engine oil and put on a new air filter as have been using it a lot hauling dirt and garden waste around the farm :-)

Lots of muddy tracks between job sites and the wheelhorse just finds grip and drives through it all with no trouble at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
44 minutes ago, Greentored said:

Dang, thought maybe I had a ultra rare, flea bay 500 dollar sale set of headlights :lol::lol:

Put it out there on EBay and CL - You probably do have $500 "vintage" headlights for somebody... just make sure to say "they ran when last parked"... :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

WHX??

I'll see your lunched rod Green and raise... :lol:

19 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

"they ran when it last parked it's self"

:laughing-rolling:

20171022_180832.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dan.gerous
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Yesterday I unloaded some 320 lbs of pool salt from the truck.  I was glad to be able to deliver it straight to the pool house!

A31D9A71-49FB-4A97-A680-5351EB46D922.jpeg

I need one of these! They must be rare in the UK unless you can get a compact tractor FEL to fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
Just now, Dan.gerous said:

I need one of these! They must be rare in the UK unless you can get a compact tractor FEL to fit.

I just picked up another project FEL yesterday... I can’t wait to get it on my newly acquired 1054!

4642F85B-0E61-4E3C-BFB2-5BE9900F6254.jpeg

8BF5C677-EA5F-4F0B-A281-61DE74698848.jpeg

61463029-ED66-4311-8E4C-2E9680B96E0F.jpeg

703DED14-2CB2-4349-AC18-0ECDC39ED8A3.jpeg

7FB59988-A932-41E8-9127-495B5CAEBF61.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

johnnymag3
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@Greentored

Good-looking solid rig. A little bit of JB weld and you're back in business.

Like those headlights. I'm fairly new to the Horse game but I haven't seen anything like that yet....

Im with EB...………...never seen anything like those