Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Greentored
On 5/27/2020 at 1:56 PM, D_Mac said:

Well here is what I did and learned today. I decided my lawn need to get cut so instead getting the ole push mower out I said why not use the new Wheel Horse? Remember I live in the inner city my lawn takes 15 mins to push mow it so the ole 16 hp K341 might be a little over kill but " why not"? When I took the C-161 Automatic for its test drive after I brought it home I wasnt so sure about driving it with a stick. Seemed a little funny. So while mowing my small little yard with the 16hp 42" deck with the automatic stick I was like " THIS IS FANTASTIC !!!" I might be converted. It did take me a little longer to mow because I did have to get the push mower out to get to places the 42" deck couldnt reach but, this could be habit forming. Now I am thinking of putting a mulching kit on it. So I learned Automatic is SWEEEET, and BIGGER is always better. That 16hp Kolher is awesome.

20200526_093738.jpg

I dislike an automatic in a tractor almost as much as in a musclecar, but youre right- its the only way to fly for cutting grass, especially if going back n forth around a lot of obstacles. Have one in my recent 1277 lawn duty bomber, and when i discovered a weak hydro, it almost got an 8 speed I had sitting here. It now flies with a strong hydro out of a C120.

Same for a musclecar- nothing like smashing gears with a 4 speed, but if you want to play and race a lot and not be picking up driveline parts, auto is the way to fly.

Edited by Greentored
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

chip61
31 minutes ago, richmondred01 said:

Thanks-I'll get with you soon. That looks much better!!

Chip, I put one of Jim’s stacks on this c160. I like it much better then what I had prior. It’s not as high and not as loud.

When you get a chance come on over and take a look.

FA16ACF0-98E4-4B58-B32D-45F7B8BC05E6.jpeg

0F97ABAF-B3AA-495E-AD00-22FF748DD78A.jpeg

• Like 1

tom2p
4 minutes ago, Greentored said:

I dislike an automatic in a tractor almost as much as in a musclecar, but youre right- its the only way to fly for cutting grass, especially if going back n forth around a lot of obstacles. Have one in my recent 1277 lawn duty bomber, and when i discovered a weak hydro, it almost got an 8 speed I had sitting here. It now flies with a strong hydro out of a C120.

Same for a musclecar- nothing like smashing gears with a 4 speed, but if you want to play and race a lot and not be picking up driveline parts, auto is the way to fly.

agree - stick much more fun - but hard to top a worked over auto with high stall converter (etc) in straight line 

especially w / big block in a GM A-body and similar 

but that's old school - the new school dual clutch paddle shift gizmos are sweet !

• Haha 2

Lane Ranger

Anyone have some pictures of the  1955 RJ  35  exhaust pipe

19richie66
4 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Finally getting the 854 I picked up at the 2018 big show set up to do what I wanted it for. I didn't need the triple pulley on the motor since I won't be using the pto so I swapped it out yesterday upsizing from the 2.5" to 3" for just a fuzz more speed. The usual 70" belt was just too snug so I guesstimated a 71" would be just right. Not being in a hurry I ordered one on Ebay yesterday afternoon and it came today! Some minor tweaking on the belt guard to clear and it clutches perfectly. Just took it for a spin around the acreage and it's just what I was looking for. Doing a panel changeout at our daughters tomorrow so Sunday I'll get her warmed, change the oil and replace the hood and I'll be good to go. I'd like to find a short frame blade to leave on it year around. Maybe some ag tires too. :)

64474342_854052920pulley.jpg.80eed27fd04ec985b1440c69c4ddbc36.jpg

Looking nice Bob. Hope all is well my friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977
1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:

We don't get much snow in NC, you would be better off with a grader blade. What snow we get usually don't last over a day or two. I would guess you will get even less than we do.

Racinbob
12 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Thanks Richie. I didn't do any cosmetic work on this one. Just went through it mechanically to get a bunch of things right. Rewired, seal the gas tank, tranny seals etc.  :)

11 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

We don't get much snow in NC, you would be better off with a grader blade. What snow we get usually don't last over a day or two. I would guess you will get even less than we do.

I use a blower on my 76 and a blade on my 2005 but both of them mow in the summer. I'd just like to leave a blade on this one year around because there always seems to be something that I need it for and swapping a deck for a blade is a pain. Ya know, a tractor for every attachment. :D 

I had a mid mount but got rid of it. I prefer a front blade with a solid lift connection. :)

• Like 3

D_Mac

Ordered a seat from AGRI Supply as recommended by @peter lena I also painted the deck. The deck was pretty rough as far as paint goes. Nice and solid just didnt look so nice. First I tried to brush touch up it. I didnt like the way that looked so I grabbed a can of Rustoleum and sprayed it. Not happy with the results but guess I have to live with it. I am not painting any more tractors. I hope I like the new seat better then the paint on the deck. Anyone have photos of the the same seat on their tractor? I would like to see. Here is before and after on the deck. I am also waiting for the tie rod for the Lambert. Was suppose to come yesterday but it didnt. The tracking information dosnt help.

20200526_093646.jpg

20200529_120815.jpg

• Like 6

ebinmaine
42 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

thrown to much money

I wouldn't think that at all.

They're such a great machine and long lasting. Just think of the money one could dump on a "modern disposable".

A horse will last for decades.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

rjg854

Eric, I wholeheartedly agree! As long as it pans out like I hope it does, it will be worth every penny to me. :banana-dance::banana-rock:

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

Tractorhead
1 hour ago, rjg854 said:

Worked on my newly acquired C-160 all day, and I have a few people to thank. Of course I've thrown to much money at, but for me its worth it. 20200530_154608.jpg.cbbb2dd4bceddca3b6378cd9b655c3ce.jpg

Nice Rig, congrats.

i see it as a hobby, and hobby means,

achieve the smallest solution with a lot of money.

It must be satisfy you and give you a good feeling, than it‘s all the money worth.

👍

• Like 3

Tractorhead

Did a Hedgecut today with my Action Cam on the Beast.

that‘s the good news...👍

the bad news it wobbles that strong the camera, that i really not like to post a vid.

Will try a smoothening tomorrow, maybe that helps a bit.

Actually you just can look 5 sec, before you begin to spit..

😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

953 nut
14 hours ago, rjg854 said:

fresh coat of paint on the rims and it will look like a true survivor! 

Try a little Ospho on the rimes before you think about painting the rims. The Ospho will remove the rust and leave the patina behind. You can find it at Lowe's or anyplace that sells paint.

image.jpeg.408cc3f132605696c88a3102177f92fc.jpeg

• Like 2

tom2p
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Try a little Ospho on the rimes before you think about painting the rims. The Ospho will remove the rust and leave the patina behind. You can find it at Lowe's or anyplace that sells paint.

image.jpeg.408cc3f132605696c88a3102177f92fc.jpeg

interesting 

do you have before and after pics ?

pfrederi

Noticed the last couple of mowing sessions the hydro engagement lever on my 418A  was bouncing around more than normal.  Pulsed hard when you pressed down on it.  Today was check drive belt day.  Think the old one was about done??  Glad it didn't fail 1/3 mile from home... Nice new  108501  that surprisingly I had hanging on the belt wall, and she is nice and smooth.

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

richmondred01

That’s a will used belt.

Aways nice to have spares.

• Like 2

Tractorhead

Ok, let me say so, 

that belt looks close to brandnew 😂

👍

allway‘s a good idea to have a spare Belt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell
5 hours ago, pfrederi said:

IMG_0068.JPG

It takes a lot of WH experience to know you need to change a belt 10 minutes before it fails says "lucky Paul".  :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Tractorhead

Here is a small Video, after dewobbling.

think it coud be seen without spit 😂

The Actioncam was fitted with a fisheye lens for wider optics.

sorry for the wobble, but the sicklebar shakes hardly and i mounted the Cam in an worse place.

• Excellent 4

LandoCommando214

Today I decided to investigate what my gut was telling me a knock from the motor sounded like. This is a new to me C-160 that I've mostly restored, with the exceptions being no engine rebuild and no tranny rebuild. To me, this "knock" sounds more like a tapping noise at the cylinder head rather than a pinging sound. I've maybe only put two hours on this tractor, and wasn't exactly sure if this is what a K series Kohler just normally sounded like, as this is my first Wheel Horse. Eventually, I just knew something wasn't right because it got louder as the engine warmed. I thought this could be spark knock, so I decided to order a new plug, set of points, condenser and wire. These parts should arrive on 6/1, so today I thought i'd take a minute to check my valve clearances and rule out any slop that may be causing this sound; here's where things get interesting...

As I pulled the valve cover assembly off, I noticed the center stud was loose, so I had to grip it with a pair of channel locks to remove the nuts. Ultimately, I found that the breather assembly had been taken off before by the previous owner and installed incorrectly, with the filter retaining plate up against the valve springs (item 4 below was assembled first, right up against the springs):

image.png.083b838fde201b7e2946eb91314db5e4.png

Here's what the plate looks like. 

image.png.e800e23f906a4c3df3420a00b6210430.png

image.png.2d354bd52303dcaa06d153debe0e085b.png

image.png.22f454db05ae9c89a71ad151856acaac.png

This was pretty frustrating to find. I thoroughly cleaned everything and reassembled to see if this plate was causing the sound I've been hearing. Unfortunately, the sound is still present. Still gets louder when the engine is warm. This engine doesn't burn a drop of oil, so i'm hoping the bore and rings are OK. Does anyone know what my next steps should be? Could this be an unrelated issue, suggesting the new ignition parts may still fix the noise? Do I have excessive wear between my crank and rod? Sloppy valve guides?

I'm afraid this engine could be damaged badly.

Here's a link to a video of the engine running when warm. How does this sound??

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NHvW65G3sTFCEnWR6

• Confused 1