Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

ericj
10 hours ago, Goldann520 said:

@PeacemakerJack ya they're quite desirable down Charlotte way here. Have had a few people asking to find these. I like it cause its only 2 years made, hydraulic lift (i dont do lift handles anymore), 16 hp, kohler, old style hood and dash, it was complete,  whats not to like. The tricks gonna be doing all this work on the cheap. 😀 it  needs a lot. So far ive had parts in stock. Got the intake valve, had the starter solenoid it needed. And came with a solid 42 deck. 

20190518_163923.jpg

are you sure that's a 42", the one's with the plate over the spindles and the height adjuster on the left are usually 48" decks. good luck

eric j 

Goldann520

@PeacemakerJack ya they're quite desirable down Charlotte way here. Have had a few people asking to find these. I like it cause its only 2 years made, hydraulic lift (i dont do lift handles anymore), 16 hp, kohler, old style hood and dash, it was complete,  whats not to like. The tricks gonna be doing all this work on the cheap. 😀 it  needs a lot. So far ive had parts in stock. Got the intake valve, had the starter solenoid it needed. And came with a solid 42 deck. 

• Like 1

Goldann520

48 even better, Thanks i will measure again, or run the tag. @ericj

Edited by Goldann520

Goldann520

@ericj good call! It is a 48". Man am i getting old and slipping. 

20190522_160547.jpg

pfrederi
47 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Tilled a little patch for the kids to grow some peas and stuff in. Still amazed how fine a job that 50" tiller does. :-)

20190518_105007.jpg.4584e5c55393817ee77f619dde3fabeb.jpg

20190518_115158.jpg.fbd3877e6a81c976f4de2ad57564a935.jpg

Where are the rocks???  After 18 years i have a small garden area...very small that might look like that.  When i use my tiller on raw land here it is absolutely painful as it hops up and down banging off the rocks.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Goldann520

Well, installed the intake valve, cleaned the carb, and got it running!!!!. Tuned carb, idled and ran out good for about half an hour. Wont idle now and noticed bubbles coming out of pto side of head gasket, yes the gasket is new. Will valves get out of adjustment that quick? Dont think so. Warped head? Any suggestions appreciated. Fuel pump seems good. Ran a straight edge across head and doesnt seem any worse than others I've had????? P.s. trans and lift work great.

20190515_132407.jpg

Edited by Goldann520
  • Like 3

oldredrider

Try re torquing the head. Could be as simple as that. Hopefully. 

• Thanks 1

Skipper

Yeah I had rocks all over the place too. borrowed a big loader from a friend and dug 2 feet of the whole graden lot, and replaced with fresh top soil from a close by area that was digging some large put and take ponds.   

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

rocks

Do you have stone walls out there or is that reserved for the Northeast?

I saw small piles of rocks in the Dakotas when we were there a few years back.

Blew my mind that they had so few....

Trina and I live about halfway up a small mountain ridge and over the eons it had crumbled to what it is today.

Our land surface is well more than half consisting of stones rocks and boulders.

Tilling for a garden here would be absolutely futile.

Raised beds are the way.

• Like 1

Goldann520
1 hour ago, oldredrider said:

Try re torquing the head. Could be as simple as that. Hopefully. 

Did that,  still bubbles 😣

Darb1964

Did you put the head gasket on upside down?

• Confused 1

RandyLittrell
3 hours ago, Goldann520 said:

Well, installed the intake valve, cleaned the carb, and got it running!!!!. Tuned carb, idled and ran out good for about half an hour. Wont idle now and noticed bubbles coming out of pto side of head gasket, yes the gasket is new. Will valves get out of adjustment that quick? Dont think so. Warped head? Any suggestions appreciated. Fuel pump seems good. Ran a straight edge across head and doesnt seem any worse than others I've had????? P.s. trans and lift work great.

20190515_132407.jpg

I would pull the head back off and flatten it by running over sandpaper on some glass of other very flat surface. There is a video or tow if you google it. 

Randy

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

I would pull the head back off and flatten it by running over sandpaper on some glass of other very flat surface. There is a video or tow if you google it. 

Randy

:text-yeahthat:

We have a piece of glass and tape the paper to it.

You'll see in just a few minutes if it's warped.

Using a straight edge on a head really won't be a reliable indicator because you can't read all of it simultaneously.

• Like 2

Herder

Retorque the head bolts after the first startup. (always)

• Thanks 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, Darb1964 said:

Did you put the head gasket on upside down?

:confusion-confused:        The bolt pattern is non-symmetrical, can only go on one way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Here's a nice little piece on flattening heads Goldy...

headgasket.pdf

Edited by WHX22
  • Excellent 1

adsm08

I mowed with it yesterday trying to get out in front of this storm system that's supposed to come through later today.

I was in a bit of a rush, so I was doing the large straight-aways in 3rd gear, but she seemed to want to bog out. I know 3rd gear with the blades on is about as much load as you can get on that engine, but my dad's 310 never did that, and I mowed most of that lawn in 3rd all the time, so I'm a little concerned.

If I get time today before the storm hits I am going to drop the deck and clean it.

Edited by adsm08

The Tuul Crib
On 5/22/2019 at 5:30 PM, Skipper said:

Tilled a little patch for the kids to grow some peas and stuff in. Still amazed how fine a job that 50" tiller does. :-)

20190518_105007.jpg.4584e5c55393817ee77f619dde3fabeb.jpg

20190518_115158.jpg.fbd3877e6a81c976f4de2ad57564a935.jpg

Great looking soil! Growing up in the states here we had coal black soil. Great for 

growing crops. Tractor looks great too!!

• Thanks 1

Goldann520
On 5/23/2019 at 4:21 AM, ebinmaine said:

:text-yeahthat:

We have a piece of glass and tape the paper to it.

You'll see in just a few minutes if it's warped.

Using a straight edge on a head really won't be a reliable indicator because you can't read all of it simultaneously.

Excellent idea !!!!  Ive been loking for a used head $100, ouch more than i have in tractor 

• Sad 1

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, Goldann520 said:

Excellent idea !!!!  Ive been loking for a used head $100, ouch more than i have in tractor 

Oh yeah yeah. I would not bother to replace a head unless it was cracked or so far beyond repair...

There are machine shops that will mill them and if you have a wide belt sander you could use that but I much prefer to do it by hand. It's quite time consuming but it works very very well

• Like 2

ZXT

Well, today (and last night) I slapped together the K321 for my (used to be) Tecumseh powered C120.

I assembled it on the tailgate of one of my trucks. No shop or nice clean space for me! Hopefully I was able to keep small particulate out of it. Got it on the tractor around dark. Found a random coil and installed it temporarily, and it fired right up and sounds good! Hopefully it'll stay together for a while, considering I'd never been inside one before and the crank was used. Now I just need to find the correct bracket so that I can engage my PTO and wire the ignition and stator properly.

I'm still getting over being sick, and was sick when assembling the engine and forgot to take any pictures of the process. Here's a video of the finished product. I had painted up a shroud that was on my pile and it was for a starter that had the mounting ears on the top side of the starter rather than the bottom.. Not quite sure what application would use that, but I'm cleaning up the correct shroud to put on it.  

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Stormin

I retorgued  the C-125s engines head this morning. It's done a few hours since it's rebuild and even though I'd retorgued after a short run, I thought I'd check.

Though the engine did use a bit of oil after rebuilding, now the new rings have bedded in, no oil use evident.  Oil change will be next and now instead of topping up after a couple of hours running, I'll have to do a regular oil change.

I'll have to get some hour meters. One for each Horse and on for the Sears.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 2

ebinmaine

@LengerichKA88

@Mows4three

@sebringwh

Well today was quite a productive day for Trina and her mom and I. Tomorrow is going to be a logging day for us so we were preparing the saws and tractors and splitter for duty.

Yeesss I'm sure there'll be pictures...

The garden was put in by Trina's mom.

They spent more time working on the chicken run.

On the Cinnamon Horse I retorqued the head bolts and let it run for a few minutes and upon returning to it I noticed fuel all over the top of the tank and running down the tractor as far as the step. I changed out the cap and the problem did not go away but was better. I put a straight edge across the top of the tank and noticed a couple of low spots so I adjusted that with a hammer. Gently of course. :tools-hammerdrill:

That seems to have eliminated about 99% of the problem so we'll try it out and see how it goes.

Trina took a couple of staged pictures with the flag for @fast88pu Kyle's thread.

IMG952019052595160836015.jpg.3c19fdb1ccd133b8303d6ccd216e9212.jpg

IMG952019052595160933017.jpg.8fb6562017c4849dfcdf635907272990.jpg

The last 90 minutes or so at the end of the day we spent some time "harvesting rocks"  and grading the contour in front of the shed.

She removed at least 5 or 6 inches from the top on the left side. Filled in the valley bottom a bit. Also scraped more from the hill across the front of the stone wall.

The gravel that is removed from there will be used around the corner inside the chicken run or just flattening out the land beside the shed.

There's at least enough in the pile to fill one of those 10 cube trailers.

IMG_20190525_182845_01.jpg.4f4ebaebbd16992472dcdef508e541ac.jpg

IMG_20190525_182845_02.jpg.9b3ccc75b5aef76e4f0467dace7137af.jpg

IMG_20190525_182845_03.jpg.bdd74c3c5aa6456bbbc0a95c4ffed4d2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

adsm08

I drug my mom's 65 Mustang around today with my 65 Wheelie Horse. They are both red.

I needed the Mustang out of the garage so I can do some work on the engine and trans of my Ranger. I wanted it parked away from the second door, so it had to go down the hill and back up the hill at the end of the garage. Last time I pushed it up that hill I think I almost had a heart attack, so I towed it this time. I was impressed with how easily it pulled that heavy car up the hill. She didn't even think twice about it.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2