Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

peter lena

@Ifixoldjunk  nice gain on that only need the side cutters , noticing your auger edges, only if you want to,  2 ,  12"  adjustable wrenches sitting on top of each other , moving in oposet  directions , with tiny bites on the bend of the auger will easily correct those twists.  chain and cable spray on that auger drive chain , never let it dry out , keep fixing old junk , pete 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
31 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

That's a snowblower...Not a plow.   :) No fair Ed !!!

Yeah, I don't think any plow machine would have pushed it's way out of that blizzard.   It took some work with the tall chute.

That was one of the last big snows we had.   Due to only getting wet small snow fall in recent years, I replaced the blower on the 520 with a 54" blade.

The 520 has the heated cab and 2 link Vee Bar chains front and rear.   I use it to plow the stone roads and to clear trails to deer stands.

I use the 312H with rubber chains and 48" blade on the 5 paved driveways I clear.post-7208-0-91061200-1426948353.jpg102_1191.JPG.12007b0754920be6c792f1fcba587af6.JPG102_2570.JPG.7dd8f2dccdb4a87dc6978acadee193af.JPG

The 312 can plow his way out of that uphill driveway.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

@TonyToro  referring to those  large crescent wrenches  for snow blower auger edge bends , the solid mechanical bite and move of a solid wrench is very effective , and relatively easy.  did that on my first used blower , another think I did was to detail every function of it . loaded with neglect and abuse, lubrication is key as is simple alignment issues .  my second 36x42 in blower , spins by hand , never let the chain lube dry out , super lube the base of chute area , for easy function . more often that not on used items , its a build up of neglect , that makes it a wreck . pete 

• Like 1

peter lena

@Ed Kennell  think if I had a heated cab rig like you have , probably have to run out of gas before coming in ! on the other hand like the opportunity to figure out how the snow is going to the plow, major heavy stuff , just get what you can , to get started , then plow / blow  to the sunny side for quicker melting , touch up during the day , you know the rest , pete

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
24 minutes ago, peter lena said:

probably have to run out of gas before coming in

Yeah Pete, that heated cab makes plowing a pleasure.   These 78 yo bones can't take the cold anymore.

• Like 2

Southern_Secret
16 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Me, no choice on my one driveway.IMG_5343.JPG.d15409a8ab634ee7a1bb93a0a0f1f781.JPG

Ummmmm.....I think you might be trapped :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 2

peter lena

@Ifixoldjunk  nice gain on that only need the side cutters , noticing your auger edges, only if you want to,  2 ,  12"  adjustable wrenches sitting on top of each other , moving in oposet  directions , with tiny bites on the bend of the auger will easily correct those twists.  chain and cable spray on that auger drive chain , never let it dry out , keep fixing old junk , pete 

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

IMG_5362.JPG.9ddb04bfde58ddab4546548be78240f4.JPG

My front drive is all steep downhill and when I was still using steel chains,  I would make the first push down thru the grass because I could never get back up on the hard driveway. The steel chains just spun on the blacktop.  With the rubber chains, now I can plow down with a full 54" wide blade width and 1/2 a blade width back up.   No need to dead head up thru the grass.

I’m hoping there’s a hill under that snow…

• Like 3

peter lena

@Ed Kennell  mine are 75 so I can relate , thats a big part of making anything I  do  as easy as possible, time went so fast , its like asking  how did that happen . realizing  you are not on a clock , lets you do it at your convenience. really enjoyable while doing it , pete    

• Like 4

Ifixoldjunk

@peter lena I’ve always been annoyed by the little dings and bends on my snowblower. Idk how people run so much stuff over with them. I’ll have to try that trick.

then again, every tractor related thing I have right now is pretty dinged up😅

Edited by Ifixoldjunk
  • Like 1

peter lena

@Ed Kennell  mine are 75 so I can relate , thats a big part of making anything I  do  as easy as possible, time went so fast , its like asking  how did that happen . realizing  you are not on a clock , lets you do it at your convenience. really enjoyable while doing it , pete    

• Like 2

peter lena

@Ifixoldjunk  basically , whenever i get something, the first thing I  do is to go after issues and make it reliable . another thing I  do is to give the paint on every surface a light lubrication rub down , to retain patina and feed the paint , the 2 other tractors I picked up years ago now , look paint shinny . no repaint, just penetrating oil rub downs till dry , twice , then I  use a 6" palm buffer and cleaner wax , and the paint comes right out !  just something I do, first w/h blower I  got was a neglected wreck, amazed at the previous abuse. went over every area , mainly labor , some parts , and a lot of functional detail , still have it today , easily spins over by hand , really good on the edge of my driveway to frontage road . just like recovering things , my millwright past , just makes me look at things that way . keep learning from all your work , it makes things easier , pete

• Like 4

pfrederi
1 hour ago, giddyap said:

Strange but true, no snow in N.E. Ohio 2021/2022 season.

So anyway, I installed a 520 swept axle on my C-165 and 2" wheel spacers. All 4 rims and tires are from a 520. I have to thank who ever posted how to add the big linkage to the steering, it was simple and EZ to steer. Wide track before and after photos. Now I have to reinstall my 10K generator for power outages   

DSC08229.JPG

What is the advantage of the wider track assuming you don't live on a steep hillside???

• Like 1

Wheelhorse#1

Looks good 

Edited by Wheelhorse#1
  • Thanks 2

giddyap
51 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

What is the advantage of the wider track assuming you don't live on a steep hillside???

The advantage is self gratifcation. I had the parts in the shed and time on my hands. When it looks old, there will be parts in the shed to restore back to original or close to it. 

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Looks good!!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

Newstuffsucks81

We have the first real snow in north central mass coming Friday. Typically I have my tractor and wb snowblower ready a month ago. I had removed the deck 2 weeks ago, but the bagger frame was still on and my dozer blade wasn’t. I have to remove the under seat bracket because it interferes with my 2” receiver that attaches to the rear tach-o-matic. It’s all done now, I dug out the suitcase hanger I made for my weights. I have 6 45lb cast iron weights, plus the 70lbs of iron in each wheel. It’s heavy when loaded. I also started up my 1984 5/21 toro (first pull) and changed the oil. Awesome light weight snowblower and throws the snow a country mile.9ED63D9E-A1A5-4568-8D95-028C8FF30A10.jpeg.dc84edfbb74f8f8905e5c7e1bda6a269.jpegBFB5DE03-866B-4C0F-B1C5-3D72D7203AE4.jpeg.d5054c5ed6d7a907ed8d532b56e7a8c6.jpeg8A75A439-16C3-4F7A-B54F-376C357B8D51.jpeg.436b96e90e248ad6ee6cda92431afff4.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

kpinnc

pfrederi, that 165 is awesome! :thumbs:

I can't think of any disadvantages to the wider track- except for fitting through a narrow door or something. All of my tractors get the wider track treatment. 

• Like 4

WheelHorse520H

I plowed my driveway this morning, we are expecting to get about 8” and we are somewhere around 6 right now. Sorry, not sure why the first photo is sideways, in my camera roll it’s not sideways.

F9D76383-D2DA-4013-88DF-F6777816CE42.jpeg

CB61EF46-12E1-4E72-941A-ED757437B72C.jpeg

846D8079-6576-437F-B5F1-86626369A8AF.jpeg

Edited by WheelHorse520H
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 1

BHunter

1st snow of the year. Not enough to plow but fun to play in.

0B831DD3-476E-43BA-8828-75A4B0901B1B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 5

Vinylguy
14 minutes ago, BHunter said:

Beautiful tractor!!  Just love the woodgrain decals. 

• Like 5

BHunter
15 minutes ago, Vinylguy said:

Beautiful tractor!!  Just love the woodgrain decals. 

Thanks Terry. I love them too. You make beautiful decals! I just picked up a 1077. I’m going to place an order sometime in the future. 
Bob

• Like 2

cleat
55 minutes ago, BHunter said:

Some parts of the country would shut down with that much snow. Ha Ha.

• Haha 5