Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, haydendavid380 said:

The lack of scraping has been why I haven't pursued a thrower more intensively. Our driveway is inclined and concrete. If anything is left on the surface, as soon as its driven on it packs into ice.

I haven't used my 74" blower in years!  Great for heavy snowfalls but leaves so much that I end up with that same packed snow and ice so my little 48" in front of my little 8HP WH scrapes with down pressure.  Takes a bit but uses less ankles.  Already used one...

I'm going to add really stiff brooms to drop over my blade to lift up the remaining snow, maybe mix it with the dust and see if the sun will melt it better.  I tried by hand and it does help, esp with Feb sun.

Lee1977
On 2/8/2021 at 1:43 PM, ebinmaine said:

How much life do you get out of a spark plug nowadays Lee?

I put a new one in my c160 a couple years ago when we put it back together. Engine has unknown hours on it.

I can't imagine it's got a 100 hours on it but it might. Plug was all nasty and black looking.

Put a new plug in and it fired right up perfectly happy. 

I put in a new plug sometime after I got it in 2014 hadn't changed until now. I might have flooded 312, I though I smelled gas could it wasn't the plug.

I have to use some choke on the 312 every time I start it, even if I had it running ten minutes ago.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, Gregor said:

I don't have anything to do again

Plenty here. 

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Gregor said:

The other day I mentioned that I thought my plow needed a better lift mechanism. So yesterday I commenced to making one. It's not very sophisticated, and it aint purdy, but t works.

Switch on the dash raises and lowers plow. Micro switches limit travel up and down. Goes up and down in about a second.  If I can ever find the switch I want, I have another plan, but apparently it is a very elusive switch.

In line with keeping it Red Green compliant, I cut off the cardboard tube some, filled it with ice melting salt, and taped the caps on with duct tape. When (and if) my new hood ever gets here from Lincoln, this will all have to be revamped. But that might wait a while. Now.  I don't have anything to do again. :sad-bored:

Can you share the specs of the rotary actuator, please? It looks like something that would raise and lower power windows or a lift gate in a car!

Flat Thunder Channel

I gave 704 Wheelhorse a pair of wings last weekend..... The video shows the custom pallet design, the fabrication and testing of the unit.  I can finally store my baby wheel horse in the pallet rack!

Check out the video if you're Interested in improving storage and or custom fabrication.  

Thanks!

Check it out:

https://youtu.be/5jIpQJHZjpg

2021-02-10_16-40-45.jpg

• Excellent 1

Tuneup
9 hours ago, Tuneup said:

Second power outage in two days so worked the tractor instead of the database. Bad transformer up the road. I had a bear of a time moving the wires around for clean appearance and staying away from hot parts.Not knowing the original design is no help. Added the fuel line and a new filter. Used the old fashioned siphon method to prime it through the filter and swallowed no gas. All good so far. She fired and kept running after just a couple of squirts of cleaner so the pump is good. I had to adjust the idle and idle mix and she's just perfect. No hunting any more - must have been those eBay gaskets - I had sorted the intake and carb. The 48" deck went on and we tooled around the yard, engine screaming. She's a keeper and the 516 is pretty simple. May restore her before the 520 but that big H is aching for a strip down and the bench is sitting empty. I'll get pics on here and maybe a video, I promise.

OK, I made a video but I'm too embarrassed to post it. Hey, not my style. I can post a couple of pics, though, to fulfill my promise!

Very early P216 - no oil filter and the heavier rings...

The only thing I don't like about the Onan is that the governor setting can only be too responsive or not responsive enough. I use the former so it jumps and then settles. I guess it's just not a Kohler.

Waiting on Gaskets.jpg

Early P216G.jpg

Ready to Test.jpg

Parked2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

Gregor

S1305681460_PLOWDIAGRAM(2).jpg.e0f90765d4df6919de66dc18654ea697.jpgSure. I always put things on paper first. Helps me sort things out. Pay no attention to line color or size. I did that only to make it easier for my old tired eyes to see.

Motor                             This motor is 10 RPM

Edited by Gregor

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Tuneup said:

OK, I made a video but I'm too embarrassed to post it. Hey, not my style. I can post a couple of pics, though, to fulfill my promise!

Very early P216 - no oil filter and the heavier rings...

The only thing I don't like about the Onan is that the governor setting can only be too responsive or not responsive enough. I use the former so it jumps and then settles. I guess it's just not a Kohler.

Did you adjust the governor using the directions on pages 7-5 & 7-6 of the Onan Service Manual?  If you still have trouble the condition of the carburetor or intake is suspect.

• Like 1

19richie66

@Ed Kennell   It will turn in a 48” circle.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Tuneup
43 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Did you adjust the governor using the directions on pages 7-5 & 7-6 of the Onan Service Manual?  If you still have trouble the condition of the carburetor or intake is suspect.

Howdy Lynnmor,

Yes, have done so. I always find myself moving the arm back and forth. I'm on the more aggressive setting - center hole. I'm thinking it's normal. Increase throttle and it jumps and quickly settles. I've seen others on the blessed internet doing the same. No guidance there on the spring locations so mine is set as shown. Any guidance there? Moving the spring closer or farther from the governor arm will do what? The jump is going with the spring so would not be dampened, I'm thinking.

I'm happy with it as is but am always wanting to make it better.

The carb was rebuilt after I found the welch plug gone. You can imagine the surge. Intake is sealed. It really is running better than ever. No comparison to the filthy old oil burner it was.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor

The rod to the carb usually falls in the center hole, and the spring should be in the third hole out.  Changing the spring location will change the sensitivity.  A rusted or worn spring will have less tension and should be replaced with only the correct one from Onan.  These engines have a flyball governor that held speed well as they were developed for generator work.  Sensitivity should be defined by how well the engine reacts to changing loads and keeping the RPM constant.

Tuneup

3rd hole out, yup. Spring looks good and is overcoming the throttle - have to address that on the lever. I'll go ahead and order a spring. Likely worn and may as well eliminate it as a cause. Thanks!

The Tuul Crib

Wow!!

WHX??

The down side of having a key fob Green. Old lady wanted one on her $1000 paint job... I said ney ney unless it's velvet coated! :)

• Haha 2

Maxwell-8

Today, @Skipper sent my order (great dude) 

And picked up some OEM parts at the dealer for a wopping 200€ or 240$ :shock: ( quite some money for me @19 years old)

Next time i will order them too @Skipper

AT least i can start all my tranny work, next week! DSC_0373.JPG.43f815aeeadeb3291f71c8e4a15a92c7.JPG

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 9

Maxwell-8
1 hour ago, Greentored said:

Got the oil temp gauge installed, gas tank sealed and back in place, took Hoss on a little trail ride and snapped a few pics. So close to 'done' I can taste it.

Gonna be needing a 5" engine pulley and clutch disc if anyone has those kicking around.

Nicely done!! :wh:  What is her oil temp getting up to?

• Like 1

oliver2-44
21 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

I have to use some choke on the 312 every time I start it, even if I had it running ten minutes ago.

@Lee1977This may be a sign that you have air leakage at the carb base to block gasket or the throttle shaft and hole is worn allowing air to leak.  with it running spray some carb cleaner or even wd40 around the throttle shaft , them base gasket and see if the engine speeds up any.

• Like 3

Greentored
5 hours ago, WHX24 said:

The down side of having a key fob Green. Old lady wanted one on her $1000 paint job... I said ney ney unless it's velvet coated! :)

Got tired of folks saying it'll look good in the tractor shows and parades, so I let it get tore up a little HA!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Greentored
3 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Nicely done!! :wh:  What is her oil temp getting up to?

Haven't seen it over about 120, but 30 minutes of trail putting isn't really working it much. Anxious to see what it'll run when I start dragging stuff around all day in the summer heat:handgestures-thumbup:

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, Greentored said:

Haven't seen it over about 120, but 30 minutes of trail putting isn't really working it much. Anxious to see what it'll run when I start dragging stuff around all day in the summer heat:handgestures-thumbup:

Keep us posted on that please. I'm curious myself.

• Like 2

Shed

Am I the only one on here that rater spend an hour plowing 3 inches of snow with the rj59 vs the 6 foot bucket on the backhoe :wh:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Shed said:

Am I the only one on here that rater spend an hour plowing 3 inches of snow with the rj59 vs the 6 foot bucket on the backhoe :wh:

We do likes us some seat time round here. 

Y' should see Trina. When she's moving snow on the 867. All smiles. 

pfrederi

My young neighbor has a 1075 that he used the last couple years to plow his driveway (about 200ft)  This year he bought a new Kubota 2601 with a front end loader. He used last week to clear the driveway Have to justify that outlay on the home front.  i cleared all my stuff (a lot more area) he was still running around with his FEL. If you have feet of snow and big piles on the road to deal with FELs are OK other wise.... My D200 with FEL had never been out in the snow... 

• Like 3