Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

johnnymag3

Gears like oil....so do moving parts.....shifters...etc...Oh, and bearings

• Excellent 1

Redneckdavis

Changing solenoid again, back to my 8N Ford spare, it works the new one doesn't. And maybe put on my new  lifetime ground cable. :) I had welding lead laying around

KIMG0502.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Redneckdavis

Nope. There appears to be no way to make a 4 wire solenoid work, and the 8n solenoid is too big to mount conveniently. . Got the battery cable in and brainstormed a new bumper/ batt mount/ fuel tank. 

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Redneckdavis said:

There appears to be no way to make a 4 wire solenoid work

@pfrederi or @953 nut was it one of you folks that told me a 4 wire can be done?

Racinbob
13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

As far as checking the level if it doesn't have a dipstick... No leaks, no problem.

:handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright: Exactly. I always open them up for inspection when I first get them and they get new seals, boot and a gasket I put the 1.5-2 quarts in and I'm good to go for a long time. It's not going to get used up. 

13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I don't know the technical reason for having the extra half quart in an 8-speed when it does not have LSD but I always figured it was something to do with the high low shifter and as stated above, a little extra oil is certainly not going to hurt anything and a gear drive transmission.

I've pondered that too. Technically, the 6 and 8 speeds have more parts inside to displace the oil and raise the level meaning that, given the same amount of oil would sit at a higher level than a 3 or 4 speed. But then again, most of those extra parts don't sit in the oil at a stand still. Given the fact that so many of these tough transmission have survived living in a water sludge mix for years just knowing it's clean inside and it's being lubed properly is good enough for me to basically ignore them after that. :)

• Like 3

19richie66

Four wire usually is large posts are the battery to starter cables, one small wire from switch to solenoid  for “start”, other small post to ground 

2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@pfrederi or @953 nut was it one of you folks that told me a 4 wire can be done?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob

A 4 wire solenoid will work just fine. Just ignore the small terminal tagged 'I' and wire up as Richie said. :)

• Like 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, Redneckdavis said:

Nope. There appears to be no way to make a 4 wire solenoid work, and the 8n solenoid is too big to mount conveniently. . Got the battery cable in and brainstormed a new bumper/ batt mount/ fuel tank. 

One of the small terminals on the 4 wire solenoid needs to be grounded.solenoid.jpg.7b31755b259ee3b775bf066265c59266.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Racinbob

Good point Richard but I was under the impression he's trying to use a Ford style solenoid. 

@Redneckdavis make sure you verify what type you're using. Either will work but the Ford style gets it's ground via the mounting bracket. If you're using the Ford type DO NOT ground the 'I' terminal. Just make sure the bracket is well grounded. 

If you're using the type 953 nut posted the small terminals feed the coil and one of them WILL need to be grounded. :)

1336527685_SolenoidWiring.jpg.b82f42cbcba2c8a447bd1d4592eb2d8c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Redneckdavis
3 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Four wire usually is large posts are the battery to starter cables, one small wire from switch to solenoid  for “start”, other small post to ground 

Thanks guys. I'll try to ground one. As far as markings,it has none. And for what kind, I just hit the Napa and told them I needed a lawnmower solenoid.

I did get my ground wire changed out

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Redneckdavis said:

. And for what kind, I just hit the Napa and told them I needed a lawnmower solenoid

I've worked in Auto Parts in the past but mostly at dealerships which is a completely different world from wholesale or retail stores like Napa.

@squonk Mike has quite a bit of experience at Napa in his past.

He still has a lot of the knowledge and helps us out with numbers of things when we need them.

The computer systems in today's parts stores are very close to idiot-proof. Unfortunately, they are also  very dependent on putting the correct information in by someone who may or may not have experience in lawn mower repair.

For most of these older Wheelhorses you can tell them you want a 3 post solenoid from a 75 f150 straight 6.

• Like 2

squonk
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've worked in Auto Parts in the past but mostly at dealerships which is a completely different world from wholesale or retail stores like Napa.

@squonk Mike has quite a bit of experience at Napa in his past.

He still has a lot of the knowledge and helps us out with numbers of things when we need them.

The computer systems in today's parts stores are very close to idiot-proof. Unfortunately, they are also  very dependent on putting the correct information in by someone who may or may not have experience in lawn mower repair.

For most of these older Wheelhorses you can tell them you want a 3 post solenoid from a 75 f150 straight 6.

Idiot proof. Until you get an idiot punching the keys. :lol:  

Go back to Napa and ask for a ST82SB

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

Idiot proof. Until you get an idiot punching the keys. :lol:  

Go back to Napa and ask for a ST82SB

That's why I said close to...

Believe you me mister... I've worked with some gems just like I'm sure you have.

pfrederi

Lowes and  HD have Arnold and/or MTD solenoid that will work just fine. 

HD.JPG

Lowes.JPG

• Like 2

Redneckdavis
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

@squonk tell them you want a 3 post solenoid from a 75 f150 straight 6.

Interesting choice. My walk around the yard I only found my 8n with a 3wire. My 960 tractor, 78 f100, 79 bronco, 67 f100 and my 72 firetruck all 4 wire. 

But as far as ordering correctly, my horse is nowhere near stock.

Either way you can't beat putting the old part on the counter. . If you have it. 

I am going to try grounding that extra terminal. 4 wire solenoid, challenge accepted

• Like 3

squonk

May the Ghost of Joseph Lucas stay away from your project.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

squonk

Even Lucas wiring harness smoke is difficult to come by these days! :helmet:

• Haha 1

Ed Kennell

Installed a foot pedal motion control on the 417A.   All my hydros now have foot control.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Good point Richard but I was under the impression he's trying to use a Ford style solenoid. 

I was looking at the one next to the ford tractor solenoid and figured that was the four wire he was talking about.

111.jpg.feeff2729b1c66d812fa2c24128be37b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I was looking at the one next to the ford tractor solenoid and figured that was the four wire he was talking about.

111.jpg.feeff2729b1c66d812fa2c24128be37b.jpg

I just noticed the fact that there is a Cole Hersee box in that photo. Good to see someone using quality parts.

• Like 1

TonyToro
On 7/23/2020 at 9:06 AM, WHX24 said:

Extra fluid for the limited slip I've been told. All my sixties six speeds have it. 

2 of my tractors have them from new too. One is a 1968 and 1969 Raider 12 and 14.

echris

I finally had a chance to install the new shifter retaining set screw on the 310 today. Thanks @A-Z Tractor !

It took about 12 minutes to install. 7.5 minutes was getting out a #1 Phillips, allen keys and a 3/8" open end. ;)

And then I decided to mow. But it was beer:30 and I still don't have an adult beverage holder. :ranting:

I looked around the garage and found a solution (temporary) and installed it.

May I present, "The Three Minute Beer Holder!"

Oh, it'll never survive even the 1st leg strike, but it worked today. hahahah!

2122661609_3minutebeerholder1.jpg.47838043426cb7e2720185c7ab3fce31.jpg

1320100940_3minutebeerholder2.jpg.b7d31adcae092e7a60525f4dc0655d6d.jpg

And later, I found a Wheel Horse in its native environment. ;)

a wheel horse in its natural environment.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

TonyToro
On 7/23/2020 at 5:06 AM, Ralph S said:

I took the P to clutch off and put a quick change pulley one to change speed for different track conditions. I still use the factory drive clutch and bolts the weight bar to the floor boards

Cool. Can you message me. I’d really like to see what you did. I’m looking for more speed with my sons tractor.

Ralph S
14 hours ago, TonyToro said:

Cool. Can you message me. I’d really like to see what you did. I’m looking for more speed with my sons tractor.

Call me 7246502016

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Trina and I played car mechanic for a bit this morning then she and her mom played in the forest for awhile.

They moved a BUNCH of wood around, split some, brought it up to the yard.

I got the Charger Hydro moving on its own power.

IMG_20200725_175830.jpg

IMG_20200725_175828.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1