Vintage Trucks

Pullstart
4 hours ago, WHX?? said:

license it as a farm truck. You got some tillable acres now

Our flat bed is registered as a farm truck… :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Is it much cheaper? Punkin farmer in back of me says it is but if he used it to say go fishin they can bust him. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Pullstart
43 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Is it much cheaper? Punkin farmer in back of me says it is but if he used it to say go fishin they can bust him. 

What if he had a hay bale strapped to it?  :ROTF:

• Haha 6

lynnmor

Farm trucks in PA don't need to be inspected like all the others.  If the brakes go out hauling a full load and run over your car, you won't be as dead I guess.  Too bad we all can't have the same rules.

• Like 1

WHX??

Well PeeeAaaa is in a nation of of it's own what with the likes of @Ed Kennell and all the other outlaws running around building contraptions that should only be props in horror movies....:laughing-rolling:

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

SylvanLakeWH
36 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

What if he had a hay bale strapped to it?  :ROTF:

So that’s where @Pullstart learned to load wheel Horses…

image.jpeg.b91d45458c3f81a318a3dd64f60881ef.jpeg

:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Pullstart
58 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Farm trucks in PA don't need to be inspected like all the others.  If the brakes go out hauling a full load and run over your car, you won't be as dead I guess.  Too bad we all can't have the same rules.

non-commercial vehicles in many states require no inspections.  I know there are pros and cons to state inspections but I’m glad we don’t have them here.  I just inspect my own stuff for safety and keep it running well.  

• Like 4

WHX??

Good man Kev... where's that pic of an overloaded Colorado?

Comon Ed you know that mad max tiller should be  chasing kids in a Hollywood thriller :ychain:

• Haha 4

lynnmor
7 hours ago, Pullstart said:

non-commercial vehicles in many states require no inspections.  I know there are pros and cons to state inspections but I’m glad we don’t have them here.  I just inspect my own stuff for safety and keep it running well.  

I have had numerous issues with PA inspections, the point is that I don't have the special privileges that some groups have.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

What counties in Pennsylvania  require emissions testing?
. In our area that includes Cumberland, Dauphin, Lancaster, Lebanon, and York counties. Vehicles registered in the other 42 counties are not required to pass an emissions inspection.

The Pa emissions testing was established in 2003 in a few selected counties to settle a law suit filed by two enviormental groups against the state.

The vehicles that are the worst polluters were exempt.  i.e. all  diesel powered and all vehichles more than 15 years old.

I just had Mrs. Ks 2009 Dodge Caravan inspected.    

Annual fee;

mechanical inspection    $29.95

emissions inspection      $29.95

sticker for windshield      $10.00

state sales tax                $  4.20

Woo Hoo,   in two years I save $40 a year.      In Pee Aaa, it pays to drive a 15 yo oil burning clunker or a coal rolling deisel.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 4

Horse Newbie
19 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Our flat bed is registered as a farm truck… :handgestures-thumbupright:

And I’ve never seen you in a pair of high-backs…:eusa-think:

Horse Newbie
14 hours ago, lynnmor said:

That’s because farmers are great engineers, and never rig up or use unsafe equipment…:lol:

• Haha 3

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

And I’ve never seen you in a pair of high-backs…:eusa-think:

high back whats?  

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
11 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

high back whats?  

Down here we call bib over-alls “high backs”… ye haw !

142C3960-04B4-429F-AF74-A1D528F3EFA3.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

Pullstart

@Horse Newbie does the Bavarian flavor count?

411C9422-FD38-4496-BF40-66FB5C71E2DE.jpeg

40768447-3268-45E6-8970-4A50F92E104D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

What counties in Pennsylvania  require emissions testing?
. In our area that includes Cumberland, Dauphin, Lancaster, Lebanon, and York counties. Vehicles registered in the other 42 counties are not required to pass an emissions inspection.

The Pa emissions testing was established in 2003 in a few selected counties to settle a law suit filed by two enviormental groups against the state.

The vehicles that are the worst polluters were exempt.  i.e. all  diesel powered and all vehichles more than 15 years old.

I believe that you will find that all cars and light trucks 1975 and newer are required to have the emissions nonsense inspection.

For those that don't know, vehicles with onboard diagnostics which includes all manufactured in the past 40 years or so, the test is performed by plugging into the port under the dash.  Now think about it, if something isn't right the check engine light will illuminate, so the test is a joke.  The charges for the test is to tell you if the check engine light is on or off.  Just a money grab.

My old van is driven less than 5,000 miles per year so it is exempt from emissions testing, but guess what?   The exempt sticker placed on the windshield is billed the same amount as all others.  Just another money grab.

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Horse Newbie
20 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

@Horse Newbie does the Bavarian flavor count?

411C9422-FD38-4496-BF40-66FB5C71E2DE.jpeg

40768447-3268-45E6-8970-4A50F92E104D.jpeg

I would say it does count… the flatbed can be called a farm truck !

• Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
28 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I believe that you will find that all cars and light trucks 1975 and newer are required to have the emissions nonsense inspection.

For those that don't know, vehicles with onboard diagnostics which includes all manufactured in the past 40 years or so, the test is performed by plugging into the port under the dash.  Now think about it, if something isn't right the check engine light will illuminate, so the test is a joke.  The charges for the test is to tell you if the check engine light is on or off.  Just a money grab.

My old van is driven less than 5,000 miles per year so it is exempt from emissions testing, but guess what?   The exempt sticker placed on the windshield is billed the same amount as all others.  Just another money grab.

In NC if the vehicle is more than 20 or so years old, no emissions test, but all emissions parts still need to be intact whether they work or not…

Now they just do emissions on the OBD 2 cars… no more prongs up the tailpipe…

I was extremely happy when my 1998 Chevy aged out… been having a fit with the O-2 sensors/ catalytic converters…check engine light stays on and it still passes… (safety inspection only)…

I guess when the check engine light burns out she will be running clean…:lol:

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Haha 3

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

In NJ if the vehicle is ...

1995 or older, exempt from inspection.

I would think that older cars would get a more rigorous inspection.

But since they are doing emissions only now, and pre-95 is not OBD-II I guess they can't do it so they exempt them.

NJ issues "QQ" plates for "Historic Vehicles" and those are also exempt but need to be 25 years or older so the Treasurer's Monte Carlo doesn't qualify until next year.

Not entirely sure about this, but I'm willing to bet that there are actually very, very few accidents that are caused by mechanical failure of some sort.

Accidents are caused by the drivers, not the mechanical condition of their vehicles.

So the states are cutting out the costly mechanical inspections and doing fed mandated emissions only.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie
49 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

1995 or older, exempt from inspection.

I would think that older cars would get a more rigorous inspection.

But since they are doing emissions only now, and pre-95 is not OBD-II I guess they can't do it so they exempt them.

NJ issues "QQ" plates for "Historic Vehicles" and those are also exempt but need to be 25 years or older so the Treasurer's Monte Carlo doesn't qualify until next year.

Not entirely sure about this, but I'm willing to bet that there are actually very, very few accidents that are caused by mechanical failure of some sort.

Accidents are caused by the drivers, not the mechanical condition of their vehicles.

So the states are cutting out the costly mechanical inspections and doing fed mandated emissions only.

Also, people don’t tend to keep older cars and the Feds probably figure they are such a small number of old cars on the roads that it’s not having much of an impact on air quality.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

My 84 El Camino still has to be inspected as long as it has regular plates. Antique plates limit the mileage to 250 miles per year.   

• Sad 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Down here we call bib over-alls “high backs”… ye haw !

142C3960-04B4-429F-AF74-A1D528F3EFA3.jpeg

Here in the mountains of North Carolina we refer to that as formal wear.                :ROTF:

Also, North Carolina has the strangest vehicle inspection system. If you buy a brand-new vehicle with no miles on it the vehicle has to be inspected before it can be registered. If you have vehicle that is thirty five years or older there is no safety inspection required. Isn't that a bit counterintuitive?    :confusion-confused:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

Ed Kennell
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Isn't that a bit counterintuitive? 

For the enviornment and safety ...yes.       For raising the most revenue it is the most productive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Horse Newbie

A few years back SC did away with vehicle inspections all together… when NC people started to talk about it NC guvment said “Don’t even start, it ain’t happening “.

• Sad 2