Goldann520

96 hood decal mystery

ACman

New seat from Northern as suggested by @WVHillbilly520H . I think you’re going to be surprised what these horses can handle. Heck I don’t even count my Kubota BX2230 a true tractor. To me a real tractor is cast iron front to back.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Goldann520

Oh I've no doubt. When I saw 20 horse onan and $200 It was over. Now I'm obsessed with wh knowledge which is power and you guys are second to none  sharing info and supporting one another. Thanks for allowing me in. Also 42" recycler deck is perfect. Can't believe no rust. Rear discharge too which I've always liked. Took me 3 hours to clean hydro unit of packed crap though, but found broken drive belt idler spring while doing so. Found a tiller for $425 with mule drive and all, but seems high, and just found clevis kit #85518 (learned that on whf) which has rear lift kit and all for $100. I grabbed that, I have several Brimley attachments already

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

@ACman,

Now THAT is what I dream of my 520h looking like, but first I need to get it mechanically sound. Before I could EVER get it into that condition I will have to put it all back together, take 100's of pics(so I'll know how to put it back), then take it down to the frame. Is that paint from a gun or spray bomb ?

Edited by Horse Newbie

Horse Newbie

Even though I have a long way to go...I still don't feel too bad about the situation. I picked up the 520h, 36" roto-tiller to drag behind her, and an Easy-Vac leaf vacuuming trailer for less than $150. And technically the tractor was running when I brought it home. Carb was just searching and it would not idle without the choke pulled out slightly. I would like to get the leaf vac trailer restored too. That's the biggest reason I bought the whole set-up...to figure out an easier way to get up leaves. I'm getting too old to blow them into piles, then haul them to the street one load at a time in my 10 cubic foot Agri-Fab pull cart. I live in what I would call White Oak Hundred Acre Woods( not literally ) and those oaks have a few water oaks thrown in just in case the White oaks don't put down enough leaves. I'll probably never have a snowblower, unless I just want one more toy, because we really don't get snow down here.  (A bad snow around here of about 4 inches causes mayhem ) My two biggest obstacles will be time and money. BUT THAT IS A MIGHTY FINE LOOKING 520H YOU HAVE THERE. I WOULD BE PROUD TO HAVE ONE LIKE IT !

Edited by Horse Newbie
misspelled word
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie

What causes some guys username to show up in a blue rectangle ? How do y'all do that ?

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Goldann520 said:

But the one thing I will say is there is no comparison in frame strength.  You can hang whatever you want off the front and go. Snowblower, blade, etc on a green. Just sayin

I have basically abused this little red tractor for nearly 19 years haven't broken the frame yet...then there is the xi series especially the NOS one still setting in my old dealers basement

IMAG3375.jpg

897_1.jpg

IMAG1739.jpg

rmaynard

What causes some guys username to show up in a blue rectangle ? How do y'all do that ?

Like this? @Horse Newbie  Place @ in front of the name, and if they have notifications turned on, they will be notified that they were referenced in the post.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie

Thanks @rmaynard

Ok...now how do I get my little"thumbs up doohickey to come back ? I won't never help my member reputation without it.

• Like 2

Goldann520

I do not think the frames are weak. Just the greens till end of 400 series were seriously overbuilt. Not no more. I wouldn't own this tractor if I didn't think it was tough. After all it's wh answer to the 400 series. Right?

Edited by Goldann520

rmaynard
1 minute ago, Horse Newbie said:

Thanks @rmaynard

Ok...now how do I get my little"thumbs up doohickey to come back ? I won't never help my member reputation without it.

Not sure on that one.

I'll defer to a MOD or ADMIN for that one.

Horse Newbie
3 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Not sure on that one.

I'll defer to a MOD or ADMIN for that one.

Okay Thanks !

• Like 2

ACman

@Goldann520  Don’t take the :teasing-poke:to heart...we just like razing the green tractors guys :ychain: . I do appreciate every color of tractor as they all came through our shop . 

@Horse Newbie that’s Rust-Oleum regal red spray bomb with clear coat . You won’t see the thumbs up on your post until someone gives you one :handgestures-thumbupright: .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie
4 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Like this? @Horse Newbie  Place @ in front of the name, and if they have notifications turned on, they will be notified that they were referenced in the post.

@maynard...will it work if they dont have their notifications on?

Like see...didn't do it there.

rmaynard

I don't have notifications turned on, so it doesn't email me to let me know. But it does show up in any post that has the @rmaynard in it. When I log onto RS, I am then notified that someone has mentioned me in their post.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

Thanks @maynard

Goldann520

Ok here's some more photos for you non believers. Also touched her off for the first time. WOW! Runs perfect idle to wide open! SMOOTH, and that sound OH YEA. 1st onan, always a Koehler guy. Hour meter works reads 0235 and counting and boy does it run like it. Not a hint of smoke or valve issues.

20171222_162641.jpg

20171222_162628.jpg

20171222_162538.jpg

20171222_162553.jpg

20171222_162603.jpg

20171222_162621.jpg

I do have to say, it's slow and the linkage under the seat does not follow the channel all the way out. Any fixes?Thanks 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
7 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Thanks @rmaynard

:WRS:             You can't react to your own posts, but others reading them can if the find it to their liking.  One thing that will generally get you lots of LIKES is a photo of your :wh:.        :wwp:

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

Thanks @953 nut...I referred to an administrator and they told me. My 94 520h is in pieces, but I may be able to find one from before I took it apart to clean it. Only had it about a year.

1105161208.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:              As you begin the work you can start a new post here and ask any questions you may have OR pass along any tips you would like to share.           :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Goldann520 said:

Ok here's some more photos for you non believers. Also touched her off for the first time. WOW! Runs perfect idle to wide open! SMOOTH, and that sound OH YEA. 1st onan, always a Koehler guy. Hour meter works reads 0235 and counting and boy does it run like it. Not a hint of smoke or valve issues.

20171222_162641.jpg

20171222_162628.jpg

20171222_162538.jpg

20171222_162553.jpg

20171222_162603.jpg

20171222_162621.jpg

I do have to say, it's slow and the linkage under the seat does not follow the channel all the way out. Any fixes?Thanks 

Yes that Cam has an eccentric(top nut in the slot) that can help with gaining a little more motion as well as the actual linkages from the motion lever to the Cam have adjustments, if you havent already download the manuals for here free the show you how to do the adjusting, also change the fluid an filter 10w30 motor oil and at least the NAPA equivalent filter I prefer the Toro filter myself, Jeff.

IMAG2022.jpg

Goldann520

Thanks @WV Hillbillyfor the info. Did full tune up front and back. The hydro unit took forever to fill and lucky if I got 4 quarts in it. That tube just bubbles up. Did everything else while filling it. Also motion lever won't stay all way forward. Creeps back down to half way or more

WVHillbilly520H
9 minutes ago, Goldann520 said:

Thanks @WV Hillbillyfor the info. Did full tune up front and back. The hydro unit took forever to fill and lucky if I got 4 quarts in it. That tube just bubbles up. Did everything else while filling it. Also motion lever won't stay all way forward. Creeps back down to half way or more

On refilling the hydro 1)leave the filter loose helps 2) as well as removing one of the fender riser bolts in top of the hydro axle to help it burp, the big flat "friction" washer next to the motion Cam can be tightened down incrementally till it holds position while still allowing free range of motion sort of a fine line there but doable, Jeff.

Goldann520

@WVHillbilly520H your the man. Will work on these things next time. This onan is so tight and the sound,  I love it. Sounds like it's turning about 5000 not 3600. (Tach and fuel gauge dont work) hour meter not lighting up but works. 0235!! Think I stole this 1 @ $200. But we'll see. 

• Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:              As you begin the work you can start a new post here and ask any questions you may have OR pass along any tips you would like to share.           :handgestures-thumbupright:

I'll start a new post/ thread when I start putting it back together... don't want to sit two other tractors in the weather to make room to work on it now.

Horse Newbie
17 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Yes that Cam has an eccentric(top nut in the slot) that can help with gaining a little more motion as well as the actual linkages from the motion lever to the Cam have adjustments, if you havent already download the manuals for here free the show you how to do the adjusting, also change the fluid an filter 10w30 motor oil and at least the NAPA equivalent filter I prefer the Toro filter myself, Jeff.

IMAG2022.jpg

Jeff,

Would you elaborate on why you prefer the Toro filter on the hydraulic,  and what do you like on the engine oil filter ?