semper5

Higher HP engine swap?

semper5

Ii have a C141, It's my favorite Tractor. His name is Wilbur. 

Two months ago Wilbur's original muffler came off. It has rusted away into two or three pieces. I fashioned a stack-type muffler from an off-the shelf muffler from TSC. With a few elbows of black pipe, a clamp, and some pipe wrenches, I got him together. And ran great. He was very happy as I set him out to pasture and he grazed upon the three acres.

Last week while mowing, Wilbur lost power rapidly. White smoke, sounds of 'missing', and running very roughly. I've no idea what the issue was, so I quickly got him back to the garage. And I left him. Unsure of what to do, I decided, due to limited funds, to find an engine, swap, and then later get the 14hp engine running. I'm about to hopefully gain a C160. 

Will there be any issues putting this 16hp engine into Wilbur?

Thanks for reading. 

Racinbob

Nope. A straight forward swap.......except.......I believe the 141 has a wobble mount engine. The 160 doesn't. The oil pans will be different. Simply remove all traces of the wobble mount and bolt the 16 direct to the frame like it should be. :)

• Like 3

semper5
1 minute ago, Racinbob said:

Nope. A straight forward swap.......except.......I believe the 141 has a wobble mount engine. The 160 doesn't. The oil pans will be different. Simply remove all traces of the wobble mount and bolt the 16 direct to the frame like it should be. :)

With the wobble mount removed, will I have to drill new holes for the new engine? Will the frame have any issues accepting the difference in oil pan size? I've never done this before. Am I looking at a 12-hour job? I'm quite handy and mechanical, but if AllData calls for a 1.5-hour job on my Chevy, I double it...

Racinbob

Seeing that your replacement engine came off a 160 you won't have to drill any new holes. The 160 motor will bolt directly to the frame through the two oil pan flanges on the left side. The right side flanges will hang over the frame. No worries. There are two threaded blind holes in the pan that you will run bolts up from under the frame to secure that side. If I was doing it for a living I'd say give yourself 4 hours to do everything including electrical and cables. Since I'd be doing it for myself it would take a day....I like to tinker.  :)

• Like 5

oldredrider

Since you will be removing the entire cradle mount, you will also need the proper pto hoop and mounts.

• Like 2

Racinbob

Excellent point that I didn't think about. The bottom of the pto loop slipped in to a hole on the wobble mount base so it could shake with the rest of the motor. On the solid mount there's a bracket mounted on the frame that it slips in to. The loop itself may or may not be able to be used but it is a different part number. In any case those parts are easy to find. I put a 16hp on a B-80 and the only part I needed was due to the shaft diameter difference but I also wasn't dealing with a wobble mount. :)

• Like 2

semper5

I have decided (with encouragement from the CFO of the house) to take Wilbur in for repair. The 16hp deal fell through and I miss cutting the grass with 48". The 36" JD makes it a long long chore. :-(