WHX??

A 1055, she's a project all right!

WHX??

What's with the funky head bolts & missing tin's you suppose?

20170416_190115[1].jpg

deck that came with it, anyone have an Idea on the model ...no tags but 42" SD

20170416_190214[1].jpg

20170417_161142[1].jpg

Holes in the common spots but other wise solid & spins.

20170417_161153[1].jpg

• Like 7

Deadguy

That is a RM425 deck.  I have an extra if you are interested in picking it up!

• Like 2

Achto
1 hour ago, WHX11 said:

I am force feeding it a diet of ATF & diesel through the bolt hole in the tunnel just to kinda help preserve it further till I get the time to really tie into it. I would love to dump that love juice mixture down the shifter hole to cover the shift rails & forks but the dog point is snapped off flush so that operation will have to wait till it's on the bench.

I filled my suburban to the top with ATF & left it soak for a few weeks before I tore into it. You could also jack the back end up when you leave it sit so that the ATF is forced to sit by the shifter. Other wise it looks savable if you choose. Nothing that some $ & elbow grease can't fix.:)

• Like 4

stevasaurus

Put the back wheels on some of those roller skate hoobie-doobies for pushing around.  I have a pair that I use for my boat trailer.  :)

• Like 7

ACman

:text-yeahthat:... HF wooding moving dollies work great :handgestures-thumbupright: . 

Your fenders match my 1075's hood but as you can see mine has definitely been messed with :lol: !

IMG_0798.thumb.JPG.b80a395f29f5b7101de0ff3d4f859bcd.JPG

IMG_0799.thumb.JPG.869ef48d373ec058fe9d781350a41e9d.JPG

• Like 6

WHX??

Maybe some kind of primer??

3 hours ago, Achto said:

You could also jack the back end up

Hind sight being 20/20 I should have jacked the front up to see what kind of goo was over the hump too. :lol:

I do have about 2 quarts in it now.

• Like 3

HorseFixer

It's Amazing what these Horses  :wh:  see as far as SHADE TREE MECHANICS. I mean I am the farthest from the sharpest wrench in the shed, but flat out hacking up a tractor is just plain stupid. I would like to think that every horse that has come through my stable has either left in as good, or in better condition than it did when it came here.  There is always that occasional horse that came and gave their life that another may live but that will always happen. Good luck with her I know you will make her better!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 6

stevasaurus

You are going to open that trans...why wouldn't you?  It is just too easy to do it right.  A little cheese and some carrots, and this horse is alive and kicking and making road apples again.  Tip-toe through the Tulips.  :banana-linedance:  Duke's right!!  :text-imsorry:

• Like 7

JPWH

Looks to me like a good weekend project or two or three... Lots of fun.

Jay

• Like 2

WHX??

Well yah Steve I am going to open it up eventually.. just greasing the skids for you. Trouble is I am NOT RETIRED SO I DON'T HAVE THE TIME RIGHT NOW AND....oooh I'm yelling like Duke..so get yer @$$ up here...your room is ready and Cindy will make Lasagna! :)

Thank you Hank now to find that weekend or three! :huh: Tell you what Steve I will get Tom over to help you.... I know where a nice GT-14 with a FEL is he would like. Trouble is there he would leave in the middle of the night :ph34r:with the 1055! :lol:

• Like 6

elcamino/wheelhorse
7 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Put the back wheels on some of those roller skate hoobie-doobies for pushing around.  I have a pair that I use for my boat trailer.  :)

Steve I thought you used hoobie-doobies for your wooden shoes. :lol:

• Like 3

Shynon
10 hours ago, WHX11 said:

What's with the funky head bolts & missing tin's you suppose

Jim you should have all head bolts no studs, with a large boss head on it

20160618_181124.jpg

Besides you need another project while waiting for the parts for a project:teasing-poke::teasing-poke:

Edited by Shynon
  • Like 4

Dennys502

Looks like ARP studs - must have been running high compression for pulling!  :D

• Like 2

WHX??

Excuse my ignorance @Dennys502 but what are ARP studs? You might be on to something, maybe a PO removed the tins for short hot runs!?!?

I have no idea why he would have took that S/G bracket off and put this on. Explains why the S/G is sitting all kittywaumpus! @HorseFixer I would have to agree with you 100% on your post.

20170418_221106[1].jpg

20170418_221058[1].jpg

Little more update.... the tranny fluid runs out of the axle seals like water. Did get the differential to finally spin tho and fairly smooth so that's a good sign. Not going to force the shifter  to avoid fork damage. Will deal with that when it's gets scheduled for surgery.   Going to get the fluid back out and shove it in the corner for now. Have to get the 1067 project  ready for show season and the 1257 ready for plowing events also get the 400 running decent.

You will be happy to know @stevasaurus Lowell has got me a kit coming for it in case of a rainy day. This should be a 5049 right?

12 hours ago, Shynon said:

Besides you need another project while waiting for the parts for a project

I got that covered Tom!

• Like 1

Dennys502

ARP studs are used for racing for quick head removal and consistent torque of the bolt. They last longer when being retorqued all the time. They are also stronger than stock head bolts. Used also on diesels for their strength.

arp-247-4206.jpg

• Like 4

oldredrider

I'm going to hazard a guess on the "funky head bolts". The original head would have been a high boss head. It was replaced with a low boss head and the studs with nuts were used to compensate for the height difference.  Have to do it that way in order to use the S/G mount. Location of the studs does seem willy nilly.

WHX??

Thank you Denny, I went to that ARP site and some very interesting stuff on metallurgy and the like there. http://arp-bolts.com/p/technical.php#p7TPMc1_4

I agree Old Red, maybe the old PO just had this stuff lying around or was into de-carboning the head after every mowing so he dreamt this up to make it easier? One would have to been in up that tree he did this under to ever know!  We all know the strange thing that got done to old horses in the day and even to this day the things we see that make you shake your head and wonder!

Will have to be on the lookout for proper head S/G bracket and shrouds then.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

If Tom comes over, I'm in!!  Have him bring his golf clubs, and we can knock out the horse stuff after 18 holes.  :occasion-xmas:  I'll bring clubs and wine for the Lasagna.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Yes, it should be a #5049, I have a very good spare if yours is trashed...and parts also.

• Like 3

WHX??

How can I tell for sure what it is Steve,  what numbers should I be looking for on the cases? The PN's listed in the IPL? Oh yeah lots of nice courses here very close. I'd even come and be designated cart driver!

Edited by WHX11
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

You are not going to know what trans it is by any numbers on the case...in fact...you may not be able to tell when you open it up.  It is the same trans as a 5025 that goes in the 702 and such...one of the main differences is that the shift rails will have a flat side because of that suction thingy in the early 2 piece trannys.

Looking at the case casting date...if it has a 4 or 5 will tell you that maybe...it is the original tranny.  Casting date is by the shifter.  The letter is for the month...then the day...then the year.   C156= March 15, 1966

• Like 3

WHX??

So here's where we are at on this gem. ....tranny is out and rebuild kit here from Lowell, by the way he screwed up the whole order and didn't include someone to work on it!

Thoughts are here to get it open and cleaned up and ready to go back together and maybe bring it to Pioneer Power to put it back together? Might give us something to do other than sit around and wouldn't take long if we can get @stevasaurus to put his cup down for an hour? What ya think?

20170424_092647.jpg

Edited by WHX11
  • Like 6

Shynon
17 minutes ago, WHX11 said:

if we can get @stevasaurus to put his cup down for an hour

:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  :text-+1:

Cup down.  :handgestures-salute:

• Like 3

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:       While at Pioneer Power I hope you can find the S/G bracket and head bolts and tins.

• Like 2