WVHillbilly520H

New "shoes" for a horse

WHX??
22 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

braved some cold temps this evening

-15 here with no wind chill  Jeffrey and been like that for two weeks and no sign of letting up. No snow at least!

They do look to run a bit shorter. In looking at your 1st pic in post 30 it looks like the old tires with chains are giving the normal fender clearance for a 23 incher? A guy does have to love the fatness of them tho! Keep us posted I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair. Also just for grins if you could get the actual diameter before and after mounting just to compare how they balloon out. I take it these are going back on a 520?

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Jim, yep going back on the anniversary snow chucker, and diameter wise being cold in the no door shed the OTRs seemed to have "shrunk" sunk down in the middle vs the old tires still holding fluid and air, and if I remember tomorrow I'll try to get tape measure on them, I really think they're gonna be some "diggers" ,Jeff.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Jeff—I think those tires are going to work very well. There is nothing that I see in the pics that causes me concern.  They look tough and seem to have a fairly square lug.  For furrow plowing, you want as square of a lug as possible to really dig in.  One of the things that I’ve always liked about the TruPowers is that when your tractor is tilted in the furrow, you have a very square lug digging into the furrow on the outer edge of the right tire and on to the land on the inner edge of the left tire.  Many of the cheaper or more basic AG tires have very little lug if any on the outer edge which allows for more spin when the ground is tough. Also note that the TruPower goes from a 45 degree back to about a 23 degree on the last couple inches of lug.  For furrow plowing, that is one of the most important spots. I like what I see with the tires that you picked up Jeff and I can’t wait to see what they look like mounted on your 520.  I’m also looking forward to a report as you use them over the next year or so...:popcorn:

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
6 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

For furrow plowing, you want as square of a lug as possible to really dig in.

That's what I was thinking Josh ... these would be going on my 1257 plow tractor but if they didn't pan out swap them out with the tru powers on the 1067 which are only 23x8.5 but do get the job done. My only concern is if they run small the tractor wouldn't sit right with the larger tri ribs planned for the front.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

It’s a gamble Jim, but I don’t think that you would lose on it because if you really don’t like them, sell them to me and I’ll put them on Caleb’s JackRabbit (418). He tires are original and dry rot cracked bad on all four corners.  I think that they will be really good looking tires on there—now to see how they perform.

• Excellent 1

WHX??
21 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

think that you would lose on it

Don't think so considering what the Firestone 23's or the tru powers go for in that size.

WVHillbilly520H

@WHX14,and @PeacemakerJack, here y'all go braved the global warming wind and temps and got them swapped out with the existing fluid I had in the old 2 ply Nankangs that had seen better days and came home and stayed out in the Red Tractor Shed long enough to slide them under, add lug bolts and take a few pics, not quite 1/8" shorter than the new Nanco/Deestones but more than an 1" wider, I'm pretty happy with the stance myself I report back after a ride or 2, hope this helps you out and enjoy, Jeff.

IMAG3920.jpg

IMAG3921.jpg

IMAG3923.jpg

IMAG3925.jpg

IMAG3926.jpg

IMAG3929.jpg

IMAG3930.jpg

IMAG3932.jpg

IMAG3931.jpg

IMAG3933.jpg

IMAG3934.jpg

IMAG3935.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Those sure look good on there Jeff!  Thanks for the pics and the information.  I certainly think that you made a wise decision...now you get to use them and let us know how they work for you over time...:thanks:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Yes 'Billy thanks for the pics.:handgestures-thumbupright:. You got me thinkin about those 24-12's now tho. The tale of the tape says they almost might go without fender cutting but I do have an extra set of fenders that could be modded to fit so it's just a matter of bead width on stock rims. Those old tires aren't the worst.. a real hillbilly would run them till they dry rotted off! :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 2

WVHillbilly520H
1 minute ago, WHX14 said:

Yes 'Billy thanks for the pics.:handgestures-thumbupright:. Those old tires aren't the worst.. a real hillbilly would run them till they dry rotted off! :laughing-rolling:

Well I figured since I put new ones on the front after nearly 20 yrs why not the rear too, now I reckon I need to find a NOS cab and make it all pretty...

4 minutes ago, WHX14 said:

You got me thinkin about those 24-12's now tho. The tale of the tape says they almost might go without fender cutting but I do have an extra set of fenders that could be modded to fit so it's just a matter of bead width on stock rims.

Ok doing the math a 24" tall tire is only a half inch taller in diameter from center shouldn't be an issue there and I put 10.50s on my old CC 106 with the stock wheels for 8.50s didn't balloon too bad...best pic I have of it...

IMAG3876.jpg

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

When I redid my 520 and set it up for snow, I raised the fender pan with 1.5" blocks. Mainly to add clearance for the 2 link Vee Bar chains.  I did then move the floor boards forward about 2" to match the raised seat.     The real surprising benefit was the more comfortable seating.   

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

@WHX14, here you go Jim bigger is better right...

Screenshot_20180105-193128.png

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Too late Jeffrey. ..already dropped the hammer on the 23x10.5s Whined abit about what you paid and listed price now and he gave some off. Will get some pics up when locked and loaded.:)

BTW he is a good seller and has got some dandy prices on Dee's.

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Just showed up yesterday... appear to be a bit short but very wide. ill get them mounted and aired up today. Not sure if I am going to load them or not will have and see how they perform under plowing conditions.

20180111_170430[1].jpg

20180111_170538[1].jpg

20180111_170609[1].jpg

Btw the tires, front and rear on that tractor are orginals from '67 and in beautiful shape no checking or cracking at all. Going to clean up, armor all &  letter the WH on them and on a show tractor!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

littleredrider

Got a link to those 24s? Thinking i want a pair!! Don’t forget they are shorter, but once mounted n aired up should be close or taller.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Those are good looking tires Jim.  It will be fun to see them in action:auto-layrubber:.  I like them on Jeff’s ride and I can’t wait to see them on yours...:popcorn:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

@littleredrider, when on :techie-ebay:just search for 24x12-12 AG tires and these and Deestone normally pop up, just refer to my post above #62, Jeff.

Since it was warm out today I finished up my tire/wheel/weight install and took it out for a ride in the rain soaked yard, took it about half way up the steepest slope next to house never slipped or spun once , if it ever snows gonna try it out unchained first and see how they do, even had the '95 out for a stretch too, Jeff.

IMAG3955.jpg

IMAG3952.jpg

IMAG3951.jpg

IMAG3950.jpg

IMAG3956.jpg

IMAG3957.jpg

IMAG3958.jpg

IMAG3959.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WVHillbilly520H

Just for a full round of comparison I found the turf tires that originally came on my Anniversary 520H, when I bought it the dealer said one of the factory installed rear tires was cut during shipping/unloading? either way he replaced them with Carlisle Turf Chief, which I had loaded when I bought it, ran them 9-10 years bought the new/used Nankang AGs and of course just changed them out to OTR, anyways here's the original Dico turfs from the '95, the Carlisle turfs from the anniversary, and the Nankang AGs all in a row for comparison is size, the Carlisle seem to be taller and wider than the other 2 without air, even my new Trac Gard 16x7.50-8 look bigger that the Dicos,  Jeff.

IMAG4014.jpg

IMAG4015.jpg

IMAG4016.jpg

IMAG4023.jpg

IMAG4020.jpg

IMAG4021.jpg

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

@WHX14 and @PeacemakerJack here's those Nankangs I bought brand new around '93/'94 for the 106 CC,  when I bought the anniversary 520H, I swapped out these tires on dad's CC 1200 before I sold the 106 with his Good Year Turfs, they have been on dad's 1200 since '98 tilling/plowing the garden, pushing/blowing snow, getting firewood and now mowing but always shed kept,  Jeff.

IMAG4059.jpg

IMAG4058.jpg

IMAG4060.jpg

IMAG4061.jpg

IMAG4062.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

What size did you say those are?

WVHillbilly520H
On 1/27/2018 at 9:37 PM, WHX14 said:

What size did you say those are?

Jim, all the rears are 23x10.50-12 first on my old 106 then on dad's 1200, Jeff.

IMAG3876.jpg

IMAG3874.jpg

IMAG4061.jpg

IMAG4062.jpg

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

@WHX14, finally got some measurable snow here and went on the maiden voyage with the OTR AGS, NO chains NO complaints pushing the 2stage up and through 7" wet heavy white crap, first impressions (with plenty of weight liquid and iron) I'm very pleased with my purchase had a few places where I wondered if I was going to make it but they found traction and pulled right out, follow the yellow line and that's everything I cleared last evening, on a side note don't install rubber paddles on the impeller if you have a gravel drive way as my BILs gravel ate most of the rubber away 🤕, Jeff.

IMG-a3045dd4-d299-4ff9-9ad9-62828b2c9091.png

IMAG4258.jpg

IMAG4259.jpg

IMAG4260.jpg

IMAG4261.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

Thanks for the update Jeff on the AG’s. Looks like they were up to the task.  If you get a chance, post a pic of your impeller. I’d like to see what happened to the rubber paddles. I’ve only used mine twice since I installed the belt stock but it seems to be holding up fine so far. Those OTR’s look really good on there for sure:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
11 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Thanks for the update Jeff on the AG’s. Looks like they were up to the task.  If you get a chance, post a pic of your impeller. I’d like to see what happened to the rubber paddles. I’ve only used mine twice since I installed the belt stock but it seems to be holding up fine so far. Those OTR’s look really good on there for sure:handgestures-thumbupright:

Here's a few shots of the impeller now and before, the gravel was about 3" deep and hard to keep the blower from digging in  or completely going over the snow, this is where an older single stage could be a sacrificial unit :think:

IMAG4264.jpg

IMAG4266.jpg

IMAG4269.jpg

IMAG1705.jpg

IMAG1701.jpg

• Sad 1

PeacemakerJack

I only have blown snow twice with mine since the upgrade. The first snow was perfect—frozen ground and about 22-25 degrees making the snow a perfect powder. The second time was two weeks ago and it was sloppy—wet heavy snow, soft ground, closer to your conditions.  I only made a path in the drive and cleared the turn around. So far mine are holding, we will see though...ED700AF7-4B85-4109-B9D2-BF175AA98DC6.jpeg.48d66d2bbcb3d6a4bfe6e3405d69a74b.jpeg

you can see that the graphite paint is completely gone from the impeller housing already though.

6299CFB3-7236-48B6-9322-4CCEB22A5725.jpeg.0013c8b3d4d45720cbc645298afd26dc.jpeg

I’ll keep everyone posted on my findings as I continue to use it through the upcoming years.

thanks again Jeff for keeping us in the loop.  I always tell people that I learn more through product failure than I do through its success.  Unfortunately it seems that way with life sometimes too...

• Like 1