stevieb

Sourcing a suitable PTO Electric Clutch for a D200

stevieb

Hi

I have a 1978 D200 wheelhorse powered by a Kohler twin cylinder engine

It is used for grass cutting and has a 48inch cutting deck

The manual PTO clutch is shot and I would like to fit an electric one

Any ideas where to source a suitable one?

Thanks

Steve

JackC

If you want an electric PTO the simplest thing to do is to add a D-160 to your collection. If you have more than one you can keep different attachments on them like a mower on the D-160 and a plow on the D-200.

You can also brag about having a pair of Ds.

Edited by JackC
  • Like 1

Sarge

That clutch can be rebuilt , although it's not all that easy nor cheap . There are some thin rings that hold the bearings in there that need removed , press out the bearings and replace . The two clutch disks are about $30 each and i believe Toro still sells them .

Sarge

• Like 1

stevieb

Thanks for the info on the electric PTO option it seems to be the most feasible option (but expensive), maybe I can find a good used one.

On the original Manual PTO front, in 2011 the clutch bearing disintegrated, I sourced the parts and rebuilt it (I had to re-use the thin rings that Sarge mentions above) 

It worked for a while but the pulley never really engaged properly and the clutch would slip with a heavy load. 

Now it needs a new rebuild and parts are becoming scarcer. I agree that it would be more original to rebuild but, unless I get some parts made, I doubt it would be possible.  

stevieb

Hi

I managed to get the clutch re-built.

Someone local built some unavailable parts and managed to manufacture some clutch linings

I think the thin rings that Sarge mentions were part of the problem (what I would call thrust washers).

Anyway I think the mower will be in action again early next week

Thanks for all your suggestions

D200.jpg

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

VERY nice looking D-200.Awesome looking tractors.

Sarge

That was my point - the parts inside that clutch aren't that specific , nor that complicated and it shouldn't be too hard to make or adapt parts to rebuild it . The only thing that gets expensive is the clutch linings themselves and there are two of them ...but they are the same basically .

That's a great looking D 200 ,  btw...

Sarge