GlenPettit

"Big Changes Ahead"

SylvanLakeWH
17 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

With apologies to any attorneys among us, the best thing that I saw was "There will be 90% less lawyers in the future...".

:bow-blue:

• Like 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, oldredrider said:

Actually it was Hillary's husband. 

Have no fear; if elected, Hillary will over-rule the elimination of gasoline powered cars. Contradicting her husband is a wife's primary job!   :ychain:

• Like 2

JimD
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

Nope!

Same here John, I'm using firefox also.

John, I just tried it using google chrome and I could see it. Must be firefox, been having problems with anyway.

Edited by JimD

Sparky

Heads up guys....political discussions are taboo here at RS whether it's Hillary, Trump or Hillary's husband getting bashed... all will get this thread deleted.

Mike....

• Like 1

WHX??

Earth to  fish earth  to  fish  over.............this   thread is doinstrange things 

Delete the whole darn thing sparky....this is getting spooky

• Like 1

wallfish

fish to earth, fish to earth, Firefox is screwy please fix it. over.

Think I'll change my handle to Major Tom.

• Like 4

r356c

I can't see any of the embedded links either...

Never the less, here is my most unnerving proof that the future has arrived.

It's all for marketing purposes. Something as banal as selling you a particular brand of toothpaste or whatever.

Presented by IBM:

Personality Insights

Uncover a deeper understanding of people's personality characteristics, needs, and values to drive personalization.

http://www.ibm.com/watson/developercloud/personality-insights.html

The computer program reads all of your social media postings and can tease out "characteristics, needs and values".

One data scientist characterized it as "everybody is like a bug trapped in amber". Able to be examined at will by our digital footprints.

SylvanLakeWH
6 hours ago, r356c said:

IBM...

One data scientist characterized it as "everybody is like a bug trapped in amber". Able to be examined at will by our digital footprints.

Remember "HAL" the computer in 2001 Space Odyssey? Go up one letter and see what it spells...

H = I

A = B

L = M

HHHMMMM....

I will save the NSA the trouble of running the profile on your average :rs:user:

1. They work hard

2. They play nice

3. They help each other out

4, They are very generous with their time, knowledge and talents - with anyone

5. ...Regardless of who they are, where they live, or what religion they profess (or don't)...

6. Oh, and they love these little red tractors that are really tough and last a long time...

7. And they appear to breed them in their garages, which does... not... compute...error...inanimate object ....  breeding...does not...compu...^^^^**&&$$##@@......

Just sayin'

:wh:

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

r356c
4 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I will save the NSA the trouble of running the profile on your average :rs:user:

NSA?   I think more likely is General Mills, Procter and Gamble or PepsiCo.  They would also get the same results for Red Square members. :)

When the stunning electro-mechanical capabilities of Boston Dynamics finally merge with the smarts of IBM, then I may seriously crap a cat.

• Like 1

WHX??

After seeing that r356c.....Earth to Major Tomfish earth to Major Tomfish...beam me up.....:sci-fi-beamup:

Edited by WHX8
  • Like 1

wallfish
46 minutes ago, WHX8 said:

.Earth to Major Tomfish earth to Major Tomfish...beam me up.....

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on.

• Like 2

WHX??
4 hours ago, wallfish said:

Take your protein pills

I did....... they were made of insects & Wisconsin doesn't have a helmet law.......

• Like 2

JimD

Well, for whatever reason I can now see Glen's post using firefox, so thank you to who ever fixed the problem! :)

• Like 1

wallfish

Me too!

tunahead72

Likewise, although my fading memory seems to think it's formatted differently than the way it looked on my phone the other day.

r356c

Do you trust this man? Do you like this man? Can you share some of his vision?

I sincerely hope so. He is holding more responsibility and power than I can imagine.

His companies products most likely touch your life everyday without you noticing.

Embedded processors are everywhere.

Fortunately, Masayoshi Son seems to be a good steward of our digital future.

If nothing else, it is interesting to hear the thoughts of someone with a net worth of 17.6 billion USD.

• Like 1

Digger 66
On 9/26/2016 at 1:27 PM, ACman said:

Me personally , I hope I'm dead and gone before all this happens . I really do hope I don't have any grandchildren , so they don't have to deal with this crap hole of the world we live in now .

People have probably been saying this for hundreds of years .

"A machine will never replace MY team of horses......"

Things are relative here and will always be .

That is until computers themselves start desigining themselves .

Then the human race will be squashed like ants .

Something to look forward to ... I guess :mellow:

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 2

953 nut

Old people.jpg

• Like 5

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: We'll eat 'em instead.  :confusion-shrug:

• Like 3

ACman

@Digger 66 @AMC RULES @953 nut , I just reread my post I'm sorry for posting some of my personal problems . You guys probably think I'm a quack job with some of the things that I post ( i.e. My lawyers ) . But I assure you I only speak the truth of what I see and done . Before my accident I didn't speak up , I was quite and reserved . I've learned life is to short and anything can happen at any moment . I've learned to speak my mind  no matter what others think . I'm sure the pharmaceutical companies have a pill that will "cure" me . My insurance company would love to give it to me so I'd just sit in a corner and drool waste away without fighting them for what I've paid for . I do have to say that there is some hope with technology and S.C.I (spinal cord injury) . There making great strides in bridging the gap from the brain to the injured nerves . But this also brings into question how far will it go with inter grating a computer and the brain together . There is good in this technology and could help a lot of good people , but what's stopping this technology from being used to control a whole person mind for other purposes "let's say an army of mindless soldiers" . This technology isn't in the future , it's already here and  are running trials . Kind of scary if you ask me ! 

• Like 7

AMC RULES
On 9/26/2016 at 6:49 PM, 953 nut said:

At the end of the original article you'll find the following is posted...

I am truly amazed at how people take all Face book posts at face value when they know that Facebook is a platform of sharing and forwarding. Just run a search to find who is the original author of this article and you will find hundreds of them. Since I could not identify a single authentic writer, I decided to share the same as it is "Not as Mine"; but for people to read and broaden their horizons. One small advise... Take it or Leave it... "Listen/ read to Respond not React". What is the difference in responding and reacting? While the distinction may seem to be one of semantics, the impact of each in your life can be huge because reacting is an instinctual behavior directed by the reptilian brain, and responding is a conscious choice involving input from the more evolved brain. Time permitting, please read the book, Just One Thing: Developing a Buddha Brain One Simple Practice at a Time in which Rick Hanson explains how the two differ in your brain.

• Like 2

r356c

I'll ramble a little to give my computer nerd view of the video I linked to above.

Mr. Sons company, SoftBank just acquired or ate the company he is giving the talk at.
ARM Holdings is a "best of Britain" computer chip design firm that has roots to the dawn of the computer age.
ARM does not make any chips themselves, they license their designs to often competing chip manufacturers.
A lot of semiconductor manufacturers are vested in the ARM design catalog and business model.

IoT or internet of things has had all the chip manufacturers salivating for years. The ARM computer chip architecture reached a critical mass of acceptance from manufacturers and software developers for embedded computing years ago. It seems like a safe bet that it will be a major standard in IoT hardware. If IoT takes off like the marketing guys hope it does, the chip makers will be rolling around in money.

Mr. Son himself got rich from striking a deal with Steve Jobs to be the sole importer of Apple phones in Japan back in the day.
That bet seems to have worked out well for him. In other words, as unlikely as a lot of the talk sounds, this is a talk from a hard nosed businessman.

Edited by r356c
  • Like 3

r356c

A follow up...

Son pledged 50 billion to create 50,000 U.S. jobs to President-elect Trump. Cool!

The first critter with eyes, a trilobite, seems to not have been an inscrutable Asian allegory in the keynote presentation linked above.

It is literal. There are a ton of camera chips being shipped these days in smart phones. Cheap, great imaging, but no smarts behind the imaging.

Today, it invariably takes streaming video of grandma over the internet to a cloud based processing service to determine if she has fallen down and can't get up.

The invasion of privacy and internet bandwidth makes it a no-go for wide spread use.

Son sees smart cameras that have the intelligence to determine if grandma has fallen with on-board processing. A text message to your phone could alert you of the situation.

A child falling in an unattended swimming pool, a deer in the garden, a visitor walking up the drive... The use cases are endless.

Edited by r356c
Remove Wall Steet Journel paywall on first link.
  • Like 2

r356c

DARPA. What can a civilian say? If I had 30 more IQ points and a lot more discipline, I am pretty sure I would have enjoyed working there.

Do you like the internet? Thank DARPA or more specifically, its earlier name ARPA. Initially conceived to allow military communications if half the country was taken out by nuclear weapons, the internet seems to have exceeded its initial goals.

I've spent some time playing with the IBM Watson AI platform. Amazing. It is a black box, but still amazing.

John Launchbury, the Director of DARPA’s Information Innovation Office (I2O), attempts to demystify AI--what it can do.