PeacemakerJack

"Blackbeard"--Zach's GT-14

19richie66

That plate with the decal turned out great. I tried to get it as stock looking as I could even with the “fold” groove. It’s looking great. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

8ntruck

This project is looking good.  

What kind of rear tires did you get?  Since it is a GT 14, I am assuming that the rear wheels are 15".  My C 195 is going to need new tires soon and I like the looks of the ones you got.

• Like 3

19richie66
17 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

This project is looking good.  

What kind of rear tires did you get?  Since it is a GT 14, I am assuming that the rear wheels are 15".  My C 195 is going to need new tires soon and I like the looks of the ones you got.

Maxxis Ceros 27-9.0x15

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack
42 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Maxxis Ceros 27-9.0x15

:text-yeahthat:Thanks Richie!

• Like 1

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack
On 3/6/2023 at 6:55 PM, 953 nut said:

The function of the four contact switch is to interrupt the start signal to the solenoid prevent the starter from rotating with the PTO on. This saves the starter from being overburdened if a mower or other belt driven item is installed.

If you used a toggle switch for the PTO you could use the five pin relay as shown below to do the same function.

1094362380_5pinrelay.jpg.d7827103e11167ecd504baef98b89c9c.jpg

85 to ground

86 to PTO toggle switch output to PTO

30 to "S" terminal of ignition switch

87A to starter solenoid small terminal

Ok…we are finally hooking stuff back up and I am still a little foggy on hooking up this relay.  There are four wires on the existing PTO switch:

Green—trigger wire to small terminal on Solenoid

Red—output to PTO

Orange—to cigarette lighter

White—to key switch

So, if I understand you correctly Richard, 87a connects to my green wire

my red wire from current switch goes to the new toggle switch?

86 connects to other post of toggle

85 I attach to suitable ground source

does 30 attach to the post on the key switch where the current white wire goes?  
then what am I to do with the Orange wire that comes from the cigarette lighter to the existing PTO switch? Does that get taken off completely?

Thanks for the help guys…I want to make sure that we have this hooked up correctly…

D5760640-E765-48D9-929E-04E85BC24B34.jpeg

• Like 1

Sailman
On 3/6/2023 at 1:19 PM, PeacemakerJack said:

More priming and painting…
AF05135C-D91C-4E27-B726-B71DE30C66AE.jpeg.29cfd96bfa65dc1eada79f204db4cdd8.jpeg

83A49379-AEF9-46AB-BDD9-8E7126C69783.jpeg.374a7d3a63f60390ba24d9b27d0f9584.jpeg

as I mentioned earlier, he has taken a page out of Richie’s “book” and elected to go with the charcoal rims to match the gray stripe in the bottom half of the hood decal…

66935A7D-D93A-4249-AEB1-B432D0DE12AC.jpeg.463b47ded12f489d5ae2ecb1ebdd1ec6.jpeg

It is so nice to see these parts freshened up…hard to believe it has been over 50 years since they were last painted😳

00109C27-002C-4882-AF2A-6B1C536B8769.jpeg.cbf0c1cc7abb7f57d0b70a46e81e3042.jpeg

I’m pleased with this little man and he is pleased with the accomplishments so far.  Dan has been helping me with switches for the dash. The headlight switch was fairly easy to locate. Does anyone have a link for a replacement PTO switch?  The factory original switches still work but I’d like to go with something new and save the originals since this tractor is going to be a worker. I would even be alright with a toggle, as long as it functions like the factory switch.  We are installing a metal dash panel thanks to Richie and don’t have the holes cut in it yet, so a standard toggle would work…

Awesome job Zach! That GT 14 is a real beast, you will enjoy it a lot.

PS. Glad to see the proper respirator in the paint booth....

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

953 nut
2 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I'm not sure how the factory PTO switch works, (load capacity, number of contacts, NO/NC contacts, etc) but would it be possible to use a 40 amp rated 5 pin relay in place of the factory switch and have a toggle switch on the dash activate the relay.  Could be much cheaper than a factory style PTO switch

This is the question asked last month, had to refresh my memory. Here is my reply then.

The function of the four contact switch is to interrupt the start signal to the solenoid prevent the starter from rotating with the PTO on. This saves the starter from being overburdened if a mower or other belt driven item is installed.

If you used a toggle switch for the PTO you could use the five pin relay as shown below to do the same function

Ok…we are finally hooking stuff back up and I am still a little foggy on hooking up this relay.  There are four wires on the existing PTO switch:

Green—trigger wire to small terminal on Solenoid   Yes, the green wire from the solenoid small terminal goes to relay terminal 87A

Red—output to PTO     The red wire will come from a terminal of the new PTO toggle switch and go to relay terminal 86.

Orange—to cigarette lighter    The Orange wire is fuse protected and provides power to the cigarette lighter and the electric PTO, it will be the input to your new toggle switch for the PTO and be connected to the second terminal of that switch.

White—to key switch     The white wire connects the ignition switch "S" terminal to relay terminal 30

Relay terminal 85 will be electrically grounded.

The principle of operation is that when the PTO switch is off there will be no power to relay terminal 86 and the relay will remain in the "Off the Shelf" position with relay terminals  30 and 87A being connected. Since these two terminals are connected when you turn the ignition switch to start the power will go from the ignition switch through the closed 30 and 87A contacts to the solenoid.

If the new PTO toggle switch is turned on the power from the orange wire will flow through the switch to relay terminal 86, pass through the coil to ground causing a magnetic field that will open the connection at relay terminals 30 and 87A and close the contacts to relay terminals 30 and 87. No loads are connected to relay terminal 87 so no change of state will occur. However, since relay terminals 30 and 87A are now open if the ignition switch is placed in start the signal to the solenoid will not pass through preventing the starter from operating with the PTO switch ON.

Hope this helps you understand this a bit more.

85 to ground

86 to PTO toggle switch output to PTO

30 to "S" terminal of ignition switch

87A to starter solenoid small terminal

1094362380_5pinrelay.jpg.d7827103e11167ecd504baef98b89c9c.jpg

So, if I understand you correctly Richard, 87a connects to my green wire    

my red wire from current switch goes to the new toggle switch?

86 connects to other post of toggle

85 I attach to suitable ground source

does 30 attach to the post on the key switch where the current white wire goes?  
then what am I to do with the Orange wire that comes from the cigarette lighter to the existing PTO switch? Does that get taken off completely?

Thanks for the help guys…I want to make sure that we have this hooked up correctly…

D5760640-E765-48D9-929E-04E85BC24B34.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Thank you for the detailed explanation @953 nut. I believe I understand it all except one point. Where do I hook the wire that is sending power to the PTO?  I have the orange wire bringing power from the battery via fuse to cigarette lighter and finally to one post of the new toggle.  Then out from the toggle to terminal 86.  I understand the connection from “s” terminal to 87a and the solenoid trigger to 30.  However, how does the power get from the relay to the PTO? That is the only piece that I believe I am missing at this point…

this week the weather is supposed to be pretty poor here in WisCo and so we plan to work a quite a bit on Blackbeard…hoping to make some serious progress😎

• Like 5

953 nut
7 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

However, how does the power get from the relay to the PTO? That is the only piece that I believe I am missing at this point

You weren't missing a thing at this point.    :hide:           I failed to mention that the wire feeding the PTO connects to the same side of the toggle switch as the wire going to relay terminal 86.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

:text-yeahthat: sure is!

• Like 3

kpinnc
On 4/18/2023 at 9:06 AM, PeacemakerJack said:

I’m hoping that we can arrange for a “show-and-tell” at the school before the end of the school year.

That really is awesome, and so is your son!

I would think such a thing would blow most of the other kids minds! :thumbs:

Most kids nowadays ask Siri how to change a lightbulb, or they ask "who" to call for such... :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Pullstart

Zach, I have a few more here needing work when you’re done!  Great work!  :banana-wrench:

• Haha 6

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat:—and he is even saying, “What’s next?” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 2

Sailman

Shiver 'me timbers mate! What a terrific job 'me hearties!! Zach has the makin's of a true seadog and swashbuckler. And with that "pieces of eight" he's about ready to batten down the hatches, hoist the Jolly Roger, and get to work....and that's the scuttlebut!!

Yo Ho Ho...a Pirates life 'fer me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

19richie66

Looks fantastic. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Awesome work, Zach!  It looks so great!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Achto

Looking great Zach!!! Looking fantastic !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RandyLittrell

I have been following this thread for a long time and you and Zach knocked it out of the park!! 

I hope mine can turn out half as nice!!! 

Randy

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

kpinnc

Zach is my new hero! :thumbs:

Outstanding job!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

PeacemakerJack

Thanks guys for all the encouraging comments…Zach is floating on “cloud nine”!  He’s a good kid and a hard worker.  Doesn’t take as well to his schoolwork and so we have to challenge him some on that front, but he works with his hands—I can’t fault him for that!  It has been such a blessing doing this project with him…it has been a growth period for me as I have had to learn that he is more capable of many things than I’ve given him credit for in the past.  

stay tuned for the final details and the test drive video.  Then we have a deck to refurbish and a rear tiller to set up (momma says that she needs some ground broken up and leveled out in the woods).  Blackbeard could be a show only tractor but he was built to work! Zach will take care of him—I have no doubt but I know he will spend plenty of time “hoisting the main sail”!!!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 2

953 nut
8 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Blackbeard could be a show only tractor but he was built to work! Zach will take care of him

:text-yeahthat:       Fantastic job, the prate piece of eight is an inspiration to put a steering wheel cap on my GT-14 but the price seemed to be out of my budget.

2019933987_Screenshot(135).png.91a997901c18695f50cf5ef7d1292636.png

• Haha 8

gt14rider

Great job Zach, looking good, those  new decals will make it pop. That's one good looking gt14. Good job.:music-rockon:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1