cleat

Old film on brakes. Not Wheel Horse but informative

Ed Kennell

Interesting ....I am surprised GM was still using mechanical brakes in '34.  My first car was a '30 DB (dodge brothers) and it had hydraulics.

IMG_5289_-_Copy.JPG

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 7

KC9KAS

Very interesting "film", but thank goodness for hydraulic operated disc's today!

• Like 1

953 nut

Cool film, I enjoy seeing that type of technical film.                           :text-thankyoublue:

Growing up we had a Ford AA (heavy duty for it's time) truck that we hauled hay with, The mechanical brakes on that were a thrill with a 96 pound 13 year old driving it! My '31 Chrysler had hydraulic brakes which worked fine until the day a brake line rusted through, fortunately there was a ditch I could run off into that let the axles bottom out to stop me.

• Like 2

roadapples
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Interesting ....I am surprised GM was still using mechanical brakes in '34.  My first car was a '30 DB (dodge brothers) and it had hydraulics.

IMG_5289_-_Copy.JPG

Should we recognize the distinguished looking couple in the picture ?

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

You got it Jay... Me and Mrs K before she became Mrs K.    Dressed for a  4th of July parade in  1962.

• Like 3

TDF5G

My Dad used collect old Chevys.  He had a few '32s.  I got to drive one several times and it was kinda scary going down hills with those mechanical brakes.  They also had the "Free Wheeling" option back then.  Now that really was scary, it was just like pushing in the clutch.  I only tried it out once.  

Chevrolet went to juice brakes in '36 and Ford in '39.

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 3

Pullstart

Love it!  "So Chevrolet, with four strong steel rods and four strong steel cables through a strong steel cross-shaft and link connected it's four strong mechanical brakes, mechanically"

• Like 2

WHX??

You still got that hat @Ed Kennell?? Bring it to the show and I will buy you a :wh: patch to put on it!

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Sorry Jim, the derby is long gone.

• Like 1