Furious

1277 Transaxle

Furious

I have a 1967 1277 that's in pretty decent shape.  Does anyone know if the transaxle is a limited-slip (posi) type, or just a standard differential.  I was pushing some dirt the other day and found that one of the tires started to spin while the other wasn't moving.  I hope I didn't break something.  If it is a standard diff, any way to "lock" it?  Thanks.

Joel

stevasaurus

Your 1277 Automatic uses a Wheel Horse #5054 transmission.  It is not a 10 pinion, limited slip differential...in fact it appears to be a bevel gear differential.  That means it does not have any spider gears.  I think it also means that you can not lock it.  The good news is, I don't think you broke anything and your transmission acted correctly.  :)

Here is the manual...

953 nut

@stevasaurus, I wonder if the differential from a 5060 transaxle could be used in the Hydro, same year, same size?   :techie-eureka:

stevasaurus

@953 nut, it just may be possible.  The parts list in Joel's transmission calls for different part numbers for the left and right axles ..probably means they are different lengths.  This would be important so the bull gear meets up with whatever it meets with in Joel's transmission.  You would have to have both transmissions there and opened to see.  I don't think you can do it with just part numbers and drawings.  :)  I have not opened up one of the transmissions yet that work with the hydros.

• Like 1

Furious

Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear the tranny did what it was supposed to and it's not damaged. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Furious....if you really are looking for more traction...try putting some chains on the rear tires.  That will help for sure.  :)

Furious

So the tranny is fairly jerky when moving the control lever to forward or reverse. Once I'm moving it's smooth though. Also, it's advertised as infinite forward/reverse, but it does not like to go slow, again, it's kind of jerky.  Is this normal for the old hydros or do I need to make some adjustments. 

I admit, I'm used to the newer hydros or manual speed transmissions in older tractors.  Thanks. 

Retired Sparky

If you can break the tire down put tubes in and get them loaded. I weighted mine the other day. 76lbs. each on the bathroom scales. You can get them loaded cheaper then you can buy bolt on weights. :twocents-02cents:       

DSC05038.JPG

It keeps a clean look on the outside. Those tires are 30 years old.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I think I would take a look at your drive belt and drive pulleys for wear and grease and dirt.  That is the 1st thing to do.  Use mineral spirits to wipe the belt and clean the pulleys...DO NOT use any belt grip.  :)  The next thing is to download the manual for your tractor from the "Manuals" section and check on doing the adjustments it talks about.  :)  Also, changing the trans oil and filter may help.  It is probably the belt. 

• Like 2

prondzy

If you ate having a jerky starts with you hydro this can be considered "normal" for an old tractor like yours. You may want to look at lubricating the motion lever and cam block with some silicone paste or something of that nature. It will smooth out some but unless you want to rebuild and reset up your motion control I wouldn't expect a flawless engagement. 

• Like 1