Pullstart

Picked up a C-101 this morning!

Pullstart

So my mom gave us kids cash for Christmas and told us to go find something for ourselves, I took a little 50 some mile road trip this morning and picked up a steel fender C-101.  Overall, it seems to be well taken care of and in great shape!  Except for the connecting rod issue that I knew about before heading to get it.  I have a spare 10 horse that had the carb and starter bits robbed from it before I picked up my 8 speed donor for the 502 so I should be able to use the left overs to get this back running.  Came with a RD deck and a big folder full of service records and receipts.  All in all, this will be a worker and should give me the ability to refresh my 502 without the worry of :wh: downtime!

• Like 1

Pullstart

Some pics...

I realized that the serial number tag is not present on the new one, so I guess it'll have to assume the identity of the donor tractor..

IMG_1280_zps1idzre3w.jpg

IMG_1277_zps9dohtveg.jpg

IMG_1279_zpskn3glicp.jpg

IMG_1278_zpsuwchndyu.jpg

IMG_1283_zps4fqzlxal.jpg

IMG_1284_zpsawohethq.jpg

IMG_1282_zpsynfrymte.jpg

IMG_1281_zpsrmulmqfj.jpg

• Like 9

elcamino/wheelhorse

Nice score , always nice to get the service records on anything you purchase.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

wow. thank mom for the wonderfull gift. best of luck.

Glenn

• Like 2

TDF5G

That's a great Xmas present.  Looks like a good survivor and worth saving.

• Like 2

oldlineman

Nice tractor I have a 1979 c-101 that I bought new still plowing snow all original motor rebuilt about 20 years ago ,great little simple tractor. Have fun.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Thanks fellas, I'm thinking maybe I'll have to use this for tilling duty instead of the 502, so I can get full RPM's out of the tines.  In fact, a good bit faster than stock now because I went with a 6.5" pulley on the tiller.

C-101plowerpower

nice tractor:handgestures-thumbupright:

SylvanLakeWH

Nice!

BTW...I'm jealous...you've got way more snow than us over on the east side of the mitten...

• Like 2

Zeek

Nice find, good sheet metal :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WheelHorse79

Nice C-101.  That one should have many years of service left.  I too have a C-101 that my Dad bought new on 12/27/79.  I still mow and plow with it, they are great tractors.

• Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

Pullstart nice tractor  it's  good to see that there are still keepers out there. Sylvan Lake  don't worry we'll get snow over  here probably more than we need remember the last two years :)

• Like 2

MalMac

A C 101 is probably by my opinion one of if not the best tractor to come out of Wheel Horse. A simple no nonsense tractor with enough power for most jobs and economically cheaper to run and maintain. A real no frills, get the job done tractor. 

• Like 2

Pullstart

don't worry guys, the snow just looks good!  it's only 2" or so and is mainly ice.  it all came down as sleet and froze quick.   I was called to plow a drive that hadn't been driven on yesterday, I couldn't even get my plow to go under... it was  like clearing a lake!

thanks for the tractor comments guys, I'm pretty excited to feel the power of a "big" machine!  until now, I've never driven any WH other than my 502.   I'm sheltered...

BESTDOGEVER

Truthfully my 310 is a match for either of my 2 18 horse machines in ability to handle a mower deck or pulling a load of  wood around any day. Simple gritty little tractor good luck with your new horse 

• Like 1

Pullstart

I was looking through the folder of receipts, etc this morning and found an original C series manual, Kohler manual and wiring diagram details for the tractor too!  Score!

• Like 5

BESTDOGEVER

I  think it doesn't get any better than that 

• Like 1

Pullstart

I found the serial on the C-101 today, it was on the inside of the steering tower by the steering gear.  Any deciphering appreciated!

81-10K801-10529

Pullstart

I think from the Toro website I found that it's a 1978.  Does that sound right?

Horse46

Sounds about right, I have a 101 from 78, not really sure if they made them for more years, sure someone here will though. 

Cool tractors. 

• Like 1

oldredrider

Yup.  That series was only produced in 1978 and 1979.

• Like 1

Pullstart

So with a little electrical help from @953 nut Richard, the engine swap was done in about 3 hours yesterday.  It's amazing the considerable difference in power and tighter turning radius over the 502!  The 502 is still my favorite though :handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_2042_zpschi3gjmy.jpg

IMG_2041_zpsh53ir4su.jpg

IMG_2039_zpsusf47uyj.jpg

here's a link to a video of it running

th_MVI_2040_zpsevwrgd64.mp4

• Like 4

can whlvr

nice machine,i have one I totally restored,a complete tear down,the 101,s were made in 78 and 79 only,a 78 model starts with 81-....and a 79 is 91-......I don't think there was any differences between the 2

• Like 3

Pullstart

I had some seat time yesterday mulching leaves and being the first one on the block to mow the lawn this year!  Not like I keep up with the Jones's by any means.... I just wanted to go play!  I'm amazed the difference in steering radius from '62 to '78 and the speed of the deck too.  Lawn looks great!  :auto-swerve: