sangerz1

need a new starter

sangerz1

My original starter has burnt out and I am wondering where I get can get a cheap working starter generator

slammer302

They are rebuild able most the time Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

sangerz1

I'm just looking to get a new one

pfrederi

New will be very $$$$ find a Starter /Generator place near you and take it there.  (That will be expensive enough usually 100-150 depending on what is needed)

stevasaurus

sangerz1...first...Welcome to Red Square.  When you say you are looking to get a "cheap working starter generator"...nobody would take that to mean you are looking for a new one.:angry-nono:   Maybe you would like to tell us what engine and maybe the model of the horse you have...there is more then one kind of starter generator out there.  Let me guess...you have a 7 or 8 hsp Kohler with a starter generator and you want a new one.  Here is a link to a company in Minnesota that is pretty good.  If you have a Wheel Horse with a 7 or 8 hsp kohler...make sure they verify that it is a Clock-Wise rotation.  :)  Counter Clock-wise Rotations work on Cub Cadets.  You did not say if you had a Wheel Horse either.  :eusa-think:
http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_engines_model_k181_(8hp)_starter_motors_page_1.htm#AHGDR0001

Lane Ranger

I just took the old starter generator from my 1961  Wheel Horse 701 for a rebuild!  The starter/generator is a big old Delco with the double pulley for the 701 two belt  setup.    A shop near me rebuilds the Starter/generator for $85  to $150 on average.  Not sure if I only needed new brushes and/or bearings but I know this shop does it right.   It will be "like new"  when completed !    I would hate to think what a really new Delco starter/generatgor sitting on some shelf somewhere would cost but I am sure it is more than I have paid for many of my tractors !  

Ask around your area Sangerz1  and I am sure you will have an auto electric shop that rebuilds these Delco starter/generators which were built to last !

sangerz1

I have a ten horse k241 Kohler and a t1056 wheel horse, the engine is a clockwise rotation

rjg854

I just got a starter/generator rebuilt, which included a new voltage regulator, for under $130. It goes on a Commando 8hp.  While looking on the net, a starter/generator would have been @ $160 alone.

• Like 1

AMC RULES
 Just PM'd you a link.
:WRS:

squonk

I just got a starter/generator rebuilt, which included a new voltage regulator, for under $130. It goes on a Commando 8hp.  While looking on the net, a starter/generator would have been @ $160 alone.

Randy, Did you get it done at Witmer's? You wouldn't know it by looking at him but Jeff has a bunch of Wheel Horses

sangerz1
 Just PM'd you a link.
:WRS:

i looked at this and that is really cheap but I live in ohio

rjg854

Randy, Did you get it done at Witmer's? You wouldn't know it by looking at him but Jeff has a bunch of Wheel Horses

yes I did

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• 70.5TransAmDan
      By 70.5TransAmDan
      Hello Everyone, my name's Dan and I'm a wrenchaholic.

Um, sorry. 
      That's Thursday nights meeting.

First, thank you to all you old farts out there like myself and don't get me wrong. There are many young, Old Farts in this world also.
      I think of anyone that sees beauty deep inside an old tractor, samurai sword, and yes, even a lovely lady could qualify also.
      If you're the type of person that has the patients and other qualities that's needed to bring beauty and life back to something others see as old junk, or past it's prime, you're my kind of person. 

To the point now.
      I ran across a 1980ish Argo 8x8 Amphibious vehical for the right price the other day, FREE, and of course it has the infamous Starter/Generator system. Also, it's had many unqualified druggies, and electrical experts, work on it before me.  I'm retired union electrician and fiber optic engineer so I was once qualified but,. But,. But, what was I talking bout?
      You get my point. 
      So, I was wondering if anyone could possibly point me in the direction of a midg,,,,,,. Wait,. Little Person, preferably a female and  blonde, so I won't have to do so much bending over working on this darn thing and while you're at it, maybe a wiring diagram for a complete starter/generator including a three wire voltage regulator? 

If you have information on either of these, the help would be most appreciated. 
      Really, she doesn't even have to be blonde or little.

That ought to show you just how willing I am to work with others.

Thank all of you here for sharing your wisdom so it can be handed down for others to learn. 

70.5TransAmDan 
    • JeremyNzl
      By JeremyNzl
      Hi Guys, 

Looking for some advice, 

We rebuilt this k241 with a +.010 piston, Its had a rebore to +.010 but they did it off the manual specs and not the piston.
      Not ideal with an aftermarket piston but I wont get caught on this next time. 

Its developed this oscillating ting noise, its not the metal cover its there with it on and off, 
      its 100% from the cam side, does it under low load / slow idle, 
      Have setoscoped the motor with a screwdriver to the ear, and I cannot locate it.
      but its in the top.

Have rechecked valvel clearances x2 already , 1st before initial run, and again day after, very minimal adjustment made after 1st run. 

Ting noise clearly heard in the video , appreciate any advice. 

Jeremy Nz 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/txf8fciaqi5rozg/2021-06-10%2009.08.11.mp4?dl=0
    • WheelHorseC101
      By WheelHorseC101
      When I start my engine it will die once i change the throttle from idle to full throttle and when I switch the cold start throttle to what ever down is. It will just die every time 

• Bowdoinham Dan
      By Bowdoinham Dan
      I have a Raider 10 with a K241 engine that won't turn over.  It's totally dead.  Headlights won't even turn on.  I've got a brand new battery and new battery terminal wires, but the small wiring is old and this might be the problem:  a disconnection somewhere.  So I'm gonna rewire some parts with new wire.  

Does anyone know the correct wire gauge to buy?  I can't find it listed in the manual.  
    • Postal
      By Postal
      I found this tractor and couldn't pass it up for $50. She's a bit rough but has a lot of parts that I need. Can someone tell me what year and model it is? The model number is T1267 and the serial number is 379154. It has a k301 s motor on it