MikesRJ

Kohler K241 10hp Muffler Suggestions

MikesRJ

Not having been on the boards for a while, I'm asking after a brief search turned up no useful information. A broken connecting rod dipper resulted in a trashed engine on my '73 10-8. In the course of rebuilding the engine, and in light of this tractor being the featured one at the BIG Show this year, I decided to do a refresh (time is too short for a full-blown restore at this point). I am going to repair everything on the machine as well as replace what needs replacing. I find the muffler is shot on the back side and it certainly needs to be replaced. I searched around and am finding it difficult to locate a serviceable direct replacement part, so I am wondering what you all suggest for a replacement muffler from the currently available parts out there. I see a few that will work, but will required some bending of SS pipes and such. Anyone have a close fit suggestion requiring the least amount of fabrication?

Currently looking at something similar to this, but before getting into it I thought I'd see if you all might have a better avenue:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kohler-Cub-Cadet-Clamp-On-Replacement-Muffler-237550S-393840-R91-/181230146515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a322893d3

Edited by MikesRJ

jimt1971

Mike the 73 tractors were last year. This year are the Bronco tractors.

• Like 1

boovuc

Hi Mike!

I was just going to suggest a cub replacement. The 10 and 12 horse cubs should be very similar to the Nelson Mufflers original to the WH's.
Just need to see how some are piped. Partstree diagrams of the muffler routing of Cub Cadets help immensely.

rmaynard

I may have been the cause of Mike's featured tractor snafu. We were talking on the phone the other day and I mentioned that the '73 was the feature tractor. Must have been a brain cramp, old age, drugs, or a combination of all three.

Sorry Mike. Now you can relax and take your time. No deadline looming anymore.

• Like 1

MikesRJ

Mike the 73 tractors were last year. This year are the Bronco tractors.

​Maynard? You getting old and giving me the wrong dope?

Ted Wiseman

Mike, I put an International Cub muffler on my WH 953 many years ago and I just love the sound I'm sure they can be found on E-bay. Enjoy 
I,m bringing it to the big show in June. See ya, Bye, Ted

• Like 1

squonk

Bud Andrews has some awesome homemade mufflers that look & sound great too. He was thinking about making some extra and bringing them to the show. If he has them I'm buying one. You can find him on FB

• Like 1

Ted Wiseman

I am working to gather up my accumulation of WH stuff. I have my 953 just about finished and have a Commando 8 ready to go.
I am starting on a RJ tomorrow for which I am also bringing a Sickle Mower. 
I am now too old to get them all to show quality so I am going to turn them over to some of the younger generation for their enjoyment. 
Thanks for your reply.

MikesRJ

I'm almost done with the engine. :)

image.jpg

Edited by MikesRJ

rmaynard

Wow. That looks great Mike. Were you able to use the crankshaft that spun the rod bearing?

MikesRJ

Bob Maynard, you suggested a soak in muriatic acid overnight and the crank bearing mic'ed out at 1.4995 so it remained. Bought a refresh kit with standard everything as the bore mic'ed in spec as well. A credit to Kohler on this one as it's the original 43 y/o engine and it's still in spec. after all these years. Says something about religiously changing oil on schedule. :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by MikesRJ

MikesRJ

Considering it looked like this when I started out on this work ...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg