Al C.

Looking for the Group's Collective Opinion ...

Al C.

I've got a Wheel Horse 1067 with a Kohler 10hp engine.  The engine runs fine.   Starts right up,  No smoke.  Doesn't burn oil.  The problem I have is that there is always a "wet" film of oil just below what I believe is the fuel pump.  It never drips, but seems to seep out very very slowly.  I probably lose an ounce of oil a year.  My questions are ... what is the likely source of the seepage; am I asking for trouble if I don't correct it;  what is the likely solution; and how difficult is this?  I have attached some pictures to give a better idea of what I'm talking about.  Appreciate your thoughts ...

post-14163-0-85950600-1429131185_thumb.j

post-14163-0-16981200-1429131224_thumb.j

post-14163-0-81407000-1429131250_thumb.p

953 nut

:twocents-twocents:  Have you replaced the gasket for the fuel pump, or the cam gear gasket?

squonk

Could also be a little oil misting out of the breather. An ounce a year, I'd leave it alone. Just clean the area every so often.

Al C.

I've never done any work on the engine.  This was my dad's tractor.  I believe everything is still original.  It is why I'm reluctant to try to fix something that may not be broken - worried I might open a can of worms.  On the other hand, I don't want to overlook something that might be having more serious consequences I'm not aware of.  The engine side of things is new to me, other than oil, filters, belts, etc.

slovinski

My 855 started doing that a few years ago, i think mine is from the breather.  Such a small amount its hard to tell, so i leave it alone

gwest_ca

There was a change to the crankcase breather for the K-181's and M8's.

Garry

MalMac

That's a Orginal fuel pump with the cast housing. When they get some wear the pivot pin for the pump lever will sometimes start a very slow leak as you have described.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• JeremyNzl
      By JeremyNzl
      Hi Guys, 

Looking for some advice, 

We rebuilt this k241 with a +.010 piston, Its had a rebore to +.010 but they did it off the manual specs and not the piston.
      Not ideal with an aftermarket piston but I wont get caught on this next time. 

Its developed this oscillating ting noise, its not the metal cover its there with it on and off, 
      its 100% from the cam side, does it under low load / slow idle, 
      Have setoscoped the motor with a screwdriver to the ear, and I cannot locate it.
      but its in the top.

Have rechecked valvel clearances x2 already , 1st before initial run, and again day after, very minimal adjustment made after 1st run. 

Ting noise clearly heard in the video , appreciate any advice. 

Jeremy Nz 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/txf8fciaqi5rozg/2021-06-10%2009.08.11.mp4?dl=0
    • WheelHorseC101
      By WheelHorseC101
      When I start my engine it will die once i change the throttle from idle to full throttle and when I switch the cold start throttle to what ever down is. It will just die every time 

• Bowdoinham Dan
      By Bowdoinham Dan
      I have a Raider 10 with a K241 engine that won't turn over.  It's totally dead.  Headlights won't even turn on.  I've got a brand new battery and new battery terminal wires, but the small wiring is old and this might be the problem:  a disconnection somewhere.  So I'm gonna rewire some parts with new wire.  

Does anyone know the correct wire gauge to buy?  I can't find it listed in the manual.  
    • WHX??
      By WHX??
      Started this refresh a couple of months ago and have made a little progress but things are stating to shape up now so thought I would do a thread. 'Sides I need some help & advice!
      Little history first
      This is a 1967 1067 with the original K241 10hp. This tractor is somewhat special to me as I bought it as my first wheel horse in 1986. I had just started renting an old farm house which had quite a large lawn that I would be required to mow. I mentioned this to a buddy who told me of a riding lawn mower that he saw for sale. I went and looked at it and paid 350 which in the day was quite a bit of coin, for me at the time anyway as I was making only $5.50 an hour servicing dairy equipment! Wasn't the prettiest  but it started right up and cut so I brought it home. Never would have guessed 31 years later I would have this WH monkey on my back!  I new absolutely nothing about a Wheel Horse & keep in mid there was no such thing as the internet back then. After about a year I needed parts and someone told me they were no longer made. I contemplated scrapping it but then someone said to check Toro dealers for parts. All I needed was blades and some bearings. The first dealer I went to wasn't much help as they wanted me to cobble other parts on it and I didn't want to cobble any more on it than what had already been done. 2nd dealer I went to wasn't much help as they wanted to sell me a new 3,4 or 500 series! Must admit they did look nice on the showroom floor but given my tax bracket at the time wasn't likely to happen. The idea of scrapping came up again but I persisted and  kept it running and mowing. Threw a rod in the 241 about 1994 but went thru the motor and fixed that. about 1997 another buddy had a Toro branded 246h for sale that took over mowing duties. So the old 1067 went into hibernation for 20 years. Every now and then I would throw a battery in it and it would ALWAYS fire right up. Fast forward to about two years ago and I decided I was gonna getting running again and use it. After searching the 'net for parts I stumbled on this thing called Red Square. Well after reading a here about RJ's, Suburbans, 953's, & 857's I quickly caught the bug! Eight  or ten  horses (OMG I lost count ) later I finally said this old girls time has come. @stevasaurus had mentioned this had a ten pinion 5060 LS transmission in it and might make a good plowing tractor.
      The axle seals were leaking bad, the hubs were walking on the axles & front end had homemade tie rods not to mention a myriad of other issues.....but thanks to RS, parts I had spied at the BS, and the knowledge of those here I knew  this was savable. My intent is not a trailer queen nor a show tractor but a nice working tractor for some light field plowing, having fun at shows, moving boats & trailers around the ranch and perhaps some kids in a tub. I seriously doubt it will ever see mowing duty again.
      'Nuff yaking and on to the before  pics!

After looking at these ..no where near as bad as some I have seen here!
      Tranny disassembly pics...not too bad 1533 were usable but since now they can be had.  

Note the water line!

• tombr77
      By tombr77
      my 1067 tractor has a tough time plowing snow since the limited slip wore out. I'd like to rebuild - any manuals/ instructions available ?  anyone have tips - and are parts i may need to replace available?