Old Ways

Identifying/Differentiating Between Rj/Suburban Models

Old Ways

Okay, guys --I've been searching for an extensive write-up on how to identify and differentiate between the different years and models of RJs and short-Suburbans.  I haven't been able to find one, and am hoping to buy a nut-roaster soon and would like to be able to identify before I buy.

So far I have:

1955/1956 --Both years used single-piece channel frames, and a belt-drive system with "POND" stamped on the rear axle.  RJ-25 came with a Briggs Model 8 (?)[2.5hp], while RJ-35s came with a Kohler K-90 [4hp], or Clinton B-1200 [3.6hp].  Both years used a simple grill, with no name or extra designs added.

1957 --Nearly identical to the previous two years, but without the option of the Briggs engine and the Wheel Horse name was added to the grill.

1958/1959 --RJ-58 and RJ-59 used a "new" 3-piece uni-drive transaxle [Model 5003], as well as a "new" welded angle-iron frame. The Clinton model engine changed to the model B-1290 --which was still a 3.6hp engine.

(All to this point use a straight, iron front axle and carry the RJ designation.)

1960 --Model 400 and 550 introduced, using the same frame as the '58/'59 tractors and using a cast-iron "swept" axle.  The tractors also used a similar trans, the model 5010.  A Kohler K-91 [4hp] or Tech/Lauson(?) Model H55B-1170 [5.5hp] was available.  More designs were added to the hood and grill in this year. 

1961 --The model 401 was virtually the same as the '60 400 --only a model-year newer.  The throttle was changed to a push-pull style knob.  The 551, on the other hand got a trans upgrade, to the "new" 2-piece unidrive transaxle and was available with a Tech/Lauson(?) Model H55D-2113 [5.5HP] --an electric start engine.

If anyone has anything else, or anything to point out that I have wrong please let me know!  I've been taking notes the past two days trying to get this straightened out.

Edited by Mr. Bass-Man
  • Excellent 1

Old Ways

Nobody?

nhunt308

Now I don't know the first thing about the RJs but it sounds like you have it down to me

Tom.

Hi,

I found it very interesting, are there many differences between the 400 and 550 suburban? I know the engine on a 550 is 5.5hp and is electric start but are there any other differences?

Tom

Old Ways

Hi,

I found it very interesting, are there many differences between the 400 and 550 suburban? I know the engine on a 550 is 5.5hp and is electric start but are there any other differences?

Tom

Tom,

I believe that the 400 and 550 are the exact same machine, besides the Kohler and Tech engines --the 550, from what I've seen is a recoil start engine.

The 401 seems to be almost the exact same as the 400, but with updated throttle controls and such.  The model 551 is the electric start model.

CasualObserver

See if these help.

From long long ago.....in the wheel horse yahoo group

identifyRJ_1.jpg

identifyRJ_2.jpg

In addition to what you have....

RJ-58/59 - welded steel clutch pedal, no contour stiffening lines in the hood, single throttle control, no choke cable. 

Suburban 400/550 - contour lines added to hood to help with caving in from suspended gas tank.  Twin lever choke/throttle controls in square cut out of hood under steering wheel, Serial number on metal plate with gear pattern and choke/throttle designation. lift lever catch changed from levered flat steel to bent rod and segmented lift sector added for variable height control. Clutch pedal made from bent piece of strap steel, trans side plates have two holes at top rear for auxiliary hitch mounting because 1960 deck control used the slot hitch. Hood stand changed to a "firewall" kind of design with holes for steering shaft and fuel line. Foot rests made from bent pieces of diamond plate steel.

Suburban 401/551 clutch pedal and foot rests changed to cast iron, choke throttle controls changed to push pull knobs on each side of the steering column. 32" deck changed from floating style to four wheels on each corner. Hood dash spot changed from square to round spark plug access hole. Insert held either toggle switch for 401 or key for electric start for 551. 401 only, redesign of firewall hoodstand.  551 only, firewall hoodstand removed and changed to framework to fit battery in front of engine. Early 1961 used serial numbers left from 1960 metal plates, these were cut down and screwed to the hoodstand, then when they ran out, they changed to decals on the frame rail.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Tom.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply Dane, interesting stuff! It would be great to compose all this information into your first post and pin those somewhere or make it somewhere where members can see easily as it's handy to use when trying to identify what model of wheel horse you have. Just an idea..

Tom

Old Ways

I'll see about doing a major write-up or identification page.

CasualObserver

Tom,

I believe that the 400 and 550 are the exact same machine, besides the Kohler and Tech engines --the 550, from what I've seen is a recoil start engine.

The 401 seems to be almost the exact same as the 400, but with updated throttle controls and such.  The model 551 is the electric start model.

The 400 and 401 are recoil Kohler and/or Clinton Engines.

the 550 and 551 are electric start Lausons with Recoils on them. 

I should add though... there were optional add-on electric start kits available for the Kohlers and Clintons too... but stock, they are recoil only.

Racinbob

This is interesting. Over the past months I've research a lot about the Suburbans. Jason, that's the first time I've heard that about the two 3/4" holes for an auxiliary hitch. Did they make a special hitch to mount there?

CasualObserver

This is interesting. Over the past months I've research a lot about the Suburbans. Jason, that's the first time I've heard that about the two 3/4" holes for an auxiliary hitch. Did they make a special hitch to mount there?

yes. The AH-60.

towhtich1.jpg

• Like 4

Racinbob

Ah yes (bad pun). I've seen those but never paid attention to which hole they were in. Now I want one for my Suburban rebuild. Thank you.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

I can add this...the 5003 transmission, if you look how the brake band mounts, the screws that hold the brake band are vertical mounted on the trans...RJ 58/59.

The 5010 transmission, the brake band is mounted on a 45 degree angle...60 suburban 400, 500, 550 and 61 suburban 401.  Both are 3 piece transmissions.

The 1961 suburban 551 and 701 has the new 2 piece 3 speed uni-drive #5007 .  :)

Old Ways

Thanks, guys!  Please keep posting things!  Maybe it's time for a compiled write-up?  And detailed pictures of each model would be nice, if included.

Jay Wellwood

Great info - thanks for compiling!

oliver2-44

There was some differences in belt guards, maybe some one can chime in on the exact details.   From what I recall discussed , while the shape, and size is the same, the side on some were flat (58/59? then a rib was added 60? then a horizontal and vertical rib was used to look like a plus + sign (61?)  but i think it's also been said the + sign came on later 60"s

Your write  up would be a great item to put in the WIKI section

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

sonoramic

adding to Dane's post....

So far I have:

1955/1956 --Both years used single-piece channel frames, and a belt-drive system with "POND" stamped on the rear axle.  RJ-25 came with a Briggs Model 8 (?)[2.5hp], while RJ-35s came with a Kohler K-90 [4hp], or Clinton B-1200 [3.6hp].  Both years used a simple grill, with no name or extra designs added.

• RJ-25s came with Fiberglass hoods, all others were steel?
  • Cast steering wheels
  • Black painted rear wheels
  • RJ-25 had 2 piece/split front wheels? I know something was a little different about them from the later RJs.

1957 --Nearly identical to the previous two years, but without the option of the Briggs engine and the Wheel Horse name was added to the grill.

1958/1959 --RJ-58 and RJ-59 used a "new" 3-piece uni-drive transaxle [Model 5003], as well as a "new" welded angle-iron frame. The Clinton model engine changed to the model B-1290 --which was still a 3.6hp engine.

• Started using the later steering wheels..... same as the later Suburban's.

(All to this point use a straight, iron front axle and carry the RJ designation.)

1960 --Model 400 and 550 introduced, using the same frame as the '58/'59 tractors and using a cast-iron "swept" axle.  The tractors also used a similar trans, the model 5010.  A Kohler K-91 [4hp] or Tech/Lauson(?) Model H55B-1170 [5.5hp] was available.  More designs were added to the hood and grill in this year.

•  Yeah, Oliver2-44 mentioned something about the belt guards. 1960 used a larger belt guard which had a single reinforcing "rib" in the middle of it.
  • The brake band mounting on the transmission case changed from the RJ's to the Suburban's. On the RJ's the tab on the trans for the brake band was vertical, on the Suburbans, it was at a 45 degree angle. I think the designation on the transmissions changed slightly also. Even though they were still the 3 piece transmissions. The RJ's with the straight tab for the bands were the #5003, and the Suburban's (1960-61) with the angled brake band mounts were the #5010 transmissions. More info here:

1961 --The model 401 was virtually the same as the '60 400 --only a model-year newer.  The throttle was changed to a push-pull style knob.  The 551, on the other hand got a trans upgrade, to the "new" 2-piece unidrive transaxle and was available with a Tech/Lauson(?) Model H55D-2113 [5.5HP] --an electric start engine.

• Introduction of the first "front engine mounted" tractor, the 701 Mostly all new design. Used the same 2 piece transmission as the 551 (I think), and had a Kohler K161 7hp engine.
  • The 401's and 551's used a different label/sticker for the serial numbers. Instead of the previous years (1960 serial on throttle lever plate), '61's used a decal on the right frame rail. I believe this applied for the 701 models as well.
  • 1961 Belt guards differed from the 1960 guards by adding another reinforcing "rib" which was perpendicular to the '60 rib making it look like an upside down "cross" when mounted on the tractor.
  • Hood decals were different from the 1960's
  • 1961 'burban foot rests were different also. In 1960 they used a "diamond plate" style foot rest, where in '61 they were cast.

Edited by sonoramic
  • Excellent 2

953 nut

:WRS:

@sonoramic, the information you copied from the original post is basically correct but has a few flaws, thanks for resurrecting it.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

sonoramic
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

@sonoramic, the information you copied from the original post is basically correct but has a few flaws, thanks for resurrecting it.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks @953 nut!

Jean of Normandy
71 / 5000

Résultats de traduction

hello
what is its ground clearance and the diameter of the small & the tall steering wheel on the rj 35
thank you 

71_Bronco

I've always been able to tell the difference by looking at the lift handle. Suburbans have the "circle" with teeth for different lift heights, and the RJ does not. See pic below.

Granted, this is assuming the tractor is complete.

I also usually look at the front axle design (as stated) and the belt guards / drive belt arrangement.

spacer.png

• Excellent 1

953 nut
32 minutes ago, Jean of Normandy said:
71 / 5000

Résultats de traduction

hello
what is its ground clearance and the diameter of the small & the tall steering wheel on the rj 35
thank you 

@pullstart , get out the tape measure and join in on the conversation.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, Jean of Normandy said:
71 / 5000

Résultats de traduction

hello
thank you 

thanks @953 nut for pulling me in.

@Jean of Normandy If you need other measurements, just let me know!

I have about 10-1/8”diameter of the cast wheel.  The pin height on the steering shaft is about 31-1/2” from the floor.  The bottom of the steering wheel to the top of the frame is right about 18”.

B8621940-3996-4C67-978C-557D70D1105A.jpeg

3F0AC8DB-938A-49D9-86A8-45DAFA5AF421.jpeg

E9036760-0DC1-49C2-B04F-B4FDEC776EAF.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Jean of Normandy

Bonjour

et merci de m'avoir répondu

effectivement j'aurai besoin d'autres mesures comment puis-je vous envoyer un petit plan

avez-vous une adresse mail merci pour votre réponse et surtout protégez-vous bien

mesure train avant 2-2.pdf

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Jean of Normandy said:

Bonjour

et merci de m'avoir répondu

effectivement j'aurai besoin d'autres mesures comment puis-je vous envoyer un petit plan

avez-vous une adresse mail merci pour votre réponse et surtout protégez-vous bien

mesure train avant 2-2.pdf 582.8 kB · 1 download

“Hello
and thank you for answering me
actually i will need other measurements how can i send you a little plan
do you have an email address thank you for your answer and above all protect yourself well“

Good day, I hope this translation works as well for you as it does me!  I see your sheet and when time permits I'll try to get as accuarate as possible for you.  

Bonne journée, j'espère que cette traduction fonctionnera aussi bien pour vous que pour moi! Je vois votre feuille et quand le temps me le permettra, j'essaierai d'être aussi précis que possible pour vous.

• Excellent 1