Doughnutnut

C161 Automatic in UK

Doughnutnut

I have just joined! 

My first foray into machinery. I have had trouble with the power - only running at full choke and even then with greatly reduced power - replaced the fuel line and filter - just rebuilt the carb - wondering if there is a UK supplier of Kohler parts as I am having to buy stuff from the USA. Really want to get hold of a new air filter plate... I hope to restore the whole thing to its former glory.

Any tips gladly received.

Will post pics of my beast when it stops raining!

AMC RULES

:WRS:

neil

welcome to Redsquare, plenty of knowledge here for your future restoration ,

not many c161`s in uk , look forward to seeing the pics.

hasnt stopped raining here all day in somerset

Jparkes43

Welcome to red square, good luck om your restoration

James

Anglo Traction

Hi and Welcome to Euro Horse section of RS.

Kohler and some WH parts are available from most Garden Machinery Services in UK that support Toro and many other sources online for used parts (I also get some parts from US). 

Not sure where you may be located, but check out Meetens.

Someone on here may know where you can find a Filter Body Back plate, is yours no good or missing?.

I parted with one to Mark (Meadowfield) a while back, so can't help now.

Carb Issues- when you say the Carb is rebuilt, what exactly has it had done to it?. Is the Throttle Shaft Sloppy in the Carb Body?.

Have the Hi n' Low needles been adjusted to the preliminary settings as per the Kohler Service Manual?.

Sounds to me like you still have a fuel metering issue if you need to have the Choke on.

C-161s were sold from 1978 onwards. If you don't know the service history of the machine, your engine may also need Cylinder Head De Carbonising and Valve service, as that can also have an affect on the power and running.

Your Kohler Carb is probably a number '30' for a 16hp. I only have a spare fully rebuilt Number 26 for 12hp(covered in this post- ). 

If you need Manuals for either your Tractor or Engine, check the comprehensive stock of manuals for download in the Manuals Section in the Header Line. 

Hope you get sorted soon, any more help needed, just ask. Look forward to any pics you are able to post for us.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards.

Doughnutnut

Thank you for all the welcomes!

Here it is - new needle and seat, new gaskets (it was missing the splash guard) a really good clean was all it got - The choke and the throttle move cleanly, throttle with no resistance)

I will have to check up on the needle settings - I took them out with the long one having 14 quarter turns and the short one 8.5.

The reason I think the trouble is the fuel supply is that the problem is not always there - sometimes at start up sometimes after 10 mins of mowing. Any one reckon a new set of needles might be the answer?

The numbers on the casing are 47 47802 whatever this means!

post-13034-0-25019300-1401013453_thumb.j

Doughnutnut

post-13034-0-44711800-1401039551_thumb.jpost-13034-0-76821600-1401039563.jpgpost-13034-0-35644800-1401039601_thumb.jpost-13034-0-11569500-1401039605.jpg

• Like 2

Stigian

Hi Doughnutnut (can I just call you nut? :D) Welcome to RS, it's good to have you here..

I might be able to help you out with the filter backing plate. I will have a look through my spares and let you know :)

• Like 1

meadowfield

Hey, welcome to the group!

I have a C-161 as well as a C-101... Have you cleaned the fuel pump, they can get grotted up, plus it's a long way to pull fuel... Is the vent hole open in the fuel cap?

Btw glad you made it over - I think you mailed me a week ago :D

Mark

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 1

wheeledhorseman

A belated welcome to the group (I've been rather busy of late)

Have you sourced a filter back plate yet? I recently bought a non-running Kohler for spares which came with a lot of the bits in a bucket that I haven't really looked at yet so I'm not certain but I may have one if you're still looking.

I've had issues with my C-120 where it runs fine for weeks then needs half choke, gets worse with further outings till finally won't run even on full choke. The prob (in my case) seems to be that the diaphragm in the fuel pump has started to shed tiny shards of rubber. These accumulate in the bowl and finally one gets drawn up into the jet. I'm hoping that the scrap engine I got recently has a decent pump on it to solve the issue as I don't think you can get a replacement diaphragm, just a whole new pump.

Andy

Doughnutnut

Carburetor reassembled and my C161 is back up and running! I think the problem was dirt in the carb blocking the needle. I did see somewhere on here that you can get new parts for a pump..

post-13034-0-81261700-1401824648_thumb.j

wheeledhorseman

Your air filter back plate is on its way to you.

Hope it helps.

Andy

Doughnutnut

MODEL 91-16KS-91

SERIAL 167284

post-13034-0-63979000-1404576795_thumb.j

meadowfield

That confirms what it is

91 = 1979

16 = 16hp

K = Kohler

S = Sundstrand hydro