wheeledhorseman

10 cu. ft. dump cart history and dating them

wheeledhorseman

A few threads ago in the Implements and Attachments forum 'Sybesma07' posed a question about dating a 10 cu. ft dump cart / trailer.

post-4509-0-55627500-1389727362.jpg

Despite the low res photo from an ad I guess, I recognized it as looking remarkably the same as one that I’m restoring at present, the thread is here:

It also made me think of the research I’d done into dating carts like this which I thought I ought to complete and share so here it is. The information was pieced together from the Toro Lookup site, the Wheel Horse Interchange document, and cart manuals from the RS repository. If you have any corrections to make or have photographs to offer then please do chip in.

---------------

In 1976 the range of WH trailers available was expanded from just the 5 cu ft dump cart and four wheel wagon to include 10 and 18 cu ft dump cart models. The 1976/7 10 cu ft model (10DC01) is distinguishable by the fact that it had a tubular draw bar.

post-4509-0-90407800-1389727554_thumb.jp

post-4509-0-39215200-1389727615_thumb.jp

It had the red / white WH decals (large on the sides and small on the rear panel) and I strongly suspect the loading decal (21) was also red / white.

--------------

Literature for the 1978-80 models (also designated 10DC01) shows that the tubular draw bar had been upgraded to a C section rail.

post-4509-0-54168700-1389727696_thumb.jp

Despite a new decal design having been introduced for the 1978 range of tractors like the C-121, the diagram shows that the red & white WH decals were retained certainly for a time. I suspect that this was a way of using up old stock. The example that I’m restoring has a large WH decal on the tail panel rather than small but does have the newer style black loading warning sticker.

---------------

The 1980 – 85 model was designated 10DC02 and incorporated a further change of design in that the draw bar spacer (12) in the previous diagram which bolted to the tub bed was redesigned and now bolted to the front panel of the tub (see below)

post-4509-0-39900700-1389727830_thumb.jp

This diagram shows the new C-121 style decals for the sides. The fact that no decal is shown for the rear panel is probably an omission from the diagram as it is shown on the 18 cu ft model. The catch has also been redesigned to suit the new spacer bracket.

----------------

Attachments and accessories lists for 1986 model tractors indicate that WH dropped trailers from its range completely at this point as manufacturing of them at South Bend had ceased. I suspect that pricewise they could no longer compete with third party manufacturers. Although trailers are not listed on the Toro site for specific tractors from 1986 the Interchange document shows that during 1985 WH started buying in trailers from Ohio Steel (who continue to make attachments under contract for well known names today).

Trailers listed from 1985 onwards included the following dump carts: a 4 cu. ft., two 7 cu. ft. (one with a sloping back), a 10 cu. ft, a 17 cu. ft. and an 18 cu. ft. I guess that this represented the Ohio Steel range at that time. These were given simple product codes like WH4 (4 cu. ft. cart) and these codes are not recognized by the Toro site. There were no four wheeled wagons. Out of interest, 1985 also saw WH start to buy in various other attachments e.g. sweepers from the Lambert Corporation and the 10†Moldboard Plow from Ohio Steel.

It is possible that there was some kind of collaboration between WH and Ohio  Steel in terms of carts prior to 1985, I say this based on the fact that the Ohio 7 cu. ft. with sloping back (designated WH7-1 in the WH range) has a pretty much  identical trip lever to my 1978 WH 10 cu ft cart.

post-4509-0-66939200-1389815584_thumb.jp

Looking at this photo posted in another thread by 'varosd' it also seems likely that the first Ohio Steel 10 cu. ft. carts made for WH would have been welded rather than bolt together construction, perhaps the tooling was transferred.

---------------

So where do the 10 cu. ft. WH carts that look like the Agrifab bolt together models fit into the story I hear you ask. Well, a search of the Toro website for ‘carts’ brings up some models for which no years are given and no diagrams are available. A complete list can be found in the Interchange publication where they are listed as:

79900 4 cu. ft. Cart,
79901 10 cu. ft. cart,
79902 14 cu. ft. cart,
79903 17 cu. ft cart

These are also listed by Toro as being manufactured by Ohio Steel so I think one can guess who still makes the 10 cu ft carts for Agrifab. Trawling through the compatible tractor models listed in the Interchange document it would appear that Toro WH did not introduce matching tractor models to specific outsourced products  (like the Ohio Steel carts) in all of their documentation until 1993.

.post-4509-0-97373200-1389815954.jpg

1990s WH 10 cu. ft. cart by Ohio Steel - photo from a post elsewhere by 'AMC rules'

There are marked similarities between this tub design and other generic carts were badged up for a number of well known names; examples I’ve come across include ‘Lambert’ and ‘Husqvarna’ though there are other differences. Could this just be the evolution of the cart by Ohio Steel or are these carts by another manufacturer? Knursen has suggested to me perhaps by Lambert.

post-4509-0-53682500-1389728588_thumb.jp

Does anyone have a Toro / WH badged trailer exactly like the one above?

Out of interest the Toro Lookup site’s list of the later ‘bought in’ carts includes a 10 cu ft ‘poly dump cart’ – has anyone seen one of these?

Anyway, hope all of this may help others date one of these carts. I don’t imagine there are many good examples of the 1976 – 1985 South Bend produced examples around anymore, certainly here in the UK most that have come up for sale in the last couple of years (only a handful at that) have been the later Ohio Steel type.

Sorry for not including much about other sizes of carts in this potted history but this took long enough - perhaps some other time when I'm feeling inspired.

To conclude for now a couple of pics of the 14 cu. ft. cart made for WH by Ohio Steel and posted elsewhere by 'wh5208speed'

post-4509-0-62958100-1389817436.jpg

post-4509-0-15834200-1389817448.jpg

Andy (obsessed, or possessed perhaps, by carts at the moment)

Edited by wheeledhorseman
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

meadowfield

Andy,

What fab research... Scintillating reading!

:)

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Well, somebody had to do...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

some good sleuth work there Andy.   :thanks: 

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Very good work and documentation.

Maybe the mods can pin this information here on RS.

• Like 1

chazm

:text-goodpost:   Andy ,      :orcs-cheers:

Edited by chazm

papaglide

Thanks Andy! I am looking forward to more buddy!

wp205a

Looks like I might have found a cart, I can make out WH by enlarging the picture, barely. Need help in identifying. Tongue looks modified. Thanks. $30, think I'll take a chance. Got it today, in the rain (so no pics yet), 76/77 model, tubular draw bar. Remarkable shape, less the tailgate latching mechanism. This forum continues to amaze me.

post-8412-0-25855600-1398450910.jpg

Edited by wp205a
  • Excellent 2

Fun Engineer

Holy Toledo Batman. That's some fine research. Thanks for providing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Fun Engineer

For what it's worth. John Deere #80 carts in not very good condition are selling upward of $300. There are some very nice carts in excellent original condition and some restored models going for much, much more. I'm glad our Wheel horse carts have not gotten overly priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Lars

Andy..

Here is my Agrifab trailer that i did some changes on..

i have also put on some horse decals on it :) 

PAdeerehunter

Great history on carts. This is a bolt together cart that was with a 1985 310-8. Looks like it was manufactured by someone other than Wheel Horse, but has WH decals. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Excellent 1

C-85

I use mine for all kinds of stuff!

I believe it's a Brinley and it wasn't one of better rugged ones, but we've made it work (and work)!  This was the kind that came in a box and we had to put it all together.

I've beat that heck out of it! :chores-chopwood: and with a few welding jobs it's still working!  We haul wood (lots of wood), rocks and anything else that will fit in it!

When I'm on my Ski-doo Tundra, I say Tundra-away, and away she goes!

C-85

IMG_1267[1].JPG

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Just bought this Ohio Steel cart ghat is in pretty good condition!  One of four carts I hav  Ed I’d various types. 

BCE3A21A-11DF-44D2-9786-A37ACD4351F0.jpeg

ADD5D276-C3E5-4EDB-89D9-FED093BD8DF5.jpeg

3157E005-D9E0-4FDB-8EFF-5A9B1F825F46.jpeg

279EBC23-DE94-461D-A641-C27F4191C86A.jpeg

038352DC-5C78-4DA6-B1F9-C16810F55B2A.jpeg

• Like 1

Razorback

That is a beautiful old cart. Simply made, well made, lasts a long time.

Dan.gerous

The last two photographs of the tipping trailer are interesting. I like the top hung back door that opens when you tip. My current trailer has an awful arrangement that means you have to leave the back door off if tipping.

Fantastic bit of research as well 👌

Edited by Dan.gerous

SCHAFLOR

This one came with a 1986 512- D. 

20200614_200042.jpg.065285c7ea0674ba1894905e8048788c.jpg20200614_200125.jpg.9fdc5584180adff986a5fcbaa777bf95.jpg

20200614_200050.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

JasonMc

Thanks for all the great information, wheeledhorseman! I picked up this dump cart this spring from the original owner. He said he only ever used it to give his kids rides. It is completely original- even the tires are original according to him. It’s a great find, but now I’m too scared to use it - it’s too pretty!

F7023C1F-EE82-4E02-91D6-2F4085CD5471.jpeg

619B6417-D930-46C2-BD65-69250433812A.jpeg

A4670F8B-BEEE-4BFF-B0A4-BFAA2AB43480.jpeg

BE416FF4-AD68-41DC-A94D-37969153AB2E.jpeg

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

gwest_ca

There is one more digit before the printed 7 on the tag and it should identify the model year.

Probably the nicest one in existence.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, JasonMc said:

he only ever used it to give his kids rides

:WRS:

That is a wonderful find.   :text-coolphotos:   Not too often that you come across a cart that nice.               :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

JasonMc

Thanks guys!  I'm new to the Wheel Horse community - just bought a '76 C-120 Automatic in December and then got the trailer a few months later.  @gwest_ca I'm assuming the first letter is a "7", which would mean this is a 77? The original owner recalled it was late 70's but couldn't recall the exact year.  @953 nut Thank you for your service! I was going to haggle with the guy, but after I saw it I just paid full price - in the words of a friend of mine, this thing is "brand-ass-new";)

• Like 1

Lane Ranger
On 6/27/2020 at 2:26 PM, Lane Ranger said:

Just bought this Ohio Steel cart that is in pretty good condition!  One of four carts I have of various types. 

BCE3A21A-11DF-44D2-9786-A37ACD4351F0.jpeg

ADD5D276-C3E5-4EDB-89D9-FED093BD8DF5.jpeg

3157E005-D9E0-4FDB-8EFF-5A9B1F825F46.jpeg

279EBC23-DE94-461D-A641-C27F4191C86A.jpeg

038352DC-5C78-4DA6-B1F9-C16810F55B2A.jpeg

• Excellent 1

gwest_ca
11 hours ago, JasonMc said:

Thanks guys!  I'm new to the Wheel Horse community - just bought a '76 C-120 Automatic in December and then got the trailer a few months later.  @gwest_ca I'm assuming the first letter is a "7", which would mean this is a 77? The original owner recalled it was late 70's but couldn't recall the exact year.  @953 nut Thank you for your service! I was going to haggle with the guy, but after I saw it I just paid full price - in the words of a friend of mine, this thing is "brand-ass-new";)

The possibilities

67-10DC01

77-10DC01

87-10DC01

97-10DC01

07-10DC01

Garry

jay bee

@gwest_ca is there a date code on that ID Tag by chance?

gwest_ca
7 hours ago, jay bee said:

@gwest_ca is there a date code on that ID Tag by chance?

Julian build date would be in the lower box but appears to be blank.

Garry

• Like 1

BobBelcher

Not sure this will get much action but thought I would ask in this thread since it appears there are some trailer experts in here. 

As a kid, I grew up around wheel horses as my dad was a small engine mechanic for a good many years and worked primarily for a wheel horse dealer until they flipped the script and started selling the green ones. 

But something I always remember and wish i could find was a wheel horse trailer that was made with a round bar welded on the top edge of the trailer on all sides. then the trailer gate had a flat plate with two round bars welded across the top and bottom for stiffeners and extended out on both ends of the tail gate. on the rear of the trailer there were some sq bar or round bars welded on to the sides that accepted the extended round bars on the tailgate to slide into and then were pinned into place with a hairpin. you could then pull the hair pins out of the bottom two pins, and the tailgate would then pivot at the top and allow whatever to fall out the bottom similar to the picture in one of the posts above. you could also leave the pins in the bottom and unpin the top two and the tailgate would pivot around the bottom pins and allow for you to scoop things out of the trailer. and then lastly you could remove all 4 pins and remove the tailgate all together. 

My uncle had this trailer and I remember for many many years we used it for a multitude of jobs on the farm and even remember pulling it behind 4 wheelers thru fields and just abusing that thing and it never quit. As a kid I always thought that trailer design was awesome. I now own one of those cheap store bought comes in a box and you put together carts and its done a great job and has held up suprisingly well for all that I have done with it, but I still always wish I could have gotten my hands on my uncles wheel horse trailer. 

To this day I had never seen another trailer like it.