Eric857

wheel horse 857 project

Wheel Horse Kid

Great looking project and it looks like it is coming along well! I am also 17 and have been a big Wheel Horse fan for awhile now. I have probably had over 30 different Wheel Horses so far in just a couple years of being in the hobby. They are great tractors for sure! Good Luck with finishing your project!

AMC RULES

Great thread you've got going here...made some excellent progress so far. 

Concentrate on the important stuff though (your academics)...

that little  :wh: project will wait for you.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

Eric857

Thats the thing. This little tractor is for school. We have to do this thing called a capstone project and it entails doing a project on your own and you can only get help from people out side your family who can teach you something new. Fortunately for me I know Michael Martino (author of straight from the horses mouth volumes 1-3) because his nephew is my best friend, so he has helped me quite a bit. anyway my point is I have to finish this because it is part of my academics! 

• Like 2

953 nut

:woohoo:   You are doing a great job, keep it up.  :text-coolphotos:  Love the progress reports and photos you have been posting. You can find wheel studs on ebay, but lots of us have replaced them with bolts threaded from the back and lug nuts, makes wheel replacement easier. :text-goodpost: 

Eric857

So since my last post I have done some more work. I have been very busy with school and other things so I have had less time to work on the tractor, and because of the lack of time I haven't stopped to take pictures as much. So the pictures are a little on the scarce side. I have been working more on the frame, transmission, hood and, larger parts of the mower deck. In my earlier posts you saw pictures of my hood when it was primed, now I have pictures of it painted. Unfortunately I have to take the paint off again because there are a few dimples on the top of the hood that i have to get out. I stripped the frame and primed it... I only have pictures of it half stripped. I also have pictures of the finished product of the deck shell. I have been working on the engine covers which I do no have any pictures on. Those parts are almost done, I will hopefully have pictures of everything up soon.  

Okay so Unfortunately my mower deck pictures will not load right now so I will try to post the pictures as soon as I can figure out the problem...

post-11463-0-00363600-1386251203_thumb.j

post-11463-0-76190500-1386251289_thumb.j

Eric857

Hello again, I have been hard at working doingall linds of things and im sure you all will be happy to know that the machine is back on all fours and she is coming back together faster than I thought it would. The tranny is painted, I got a new shifter boot on there, all new grade 8 hardware and the wheels are back on as well. The frame is painted and hooked up to the transmission and the front rocker bar and axles are on there along with the front wheels.pictures coming soon

• Like 1

Eric857

i painted the tranny, got the frame stripped primed and painted, put that together attached the whole front end and the rear wheels got the engine totally taken apart it took me three tries to get the head back on because i kept breaking bolts due to non calibrated equipment and when i tried to get the original head gasket off i wound up scratching the head so i had to get that out, after all that i was able to get the engine primed and painted, i decided to paint it black and i put the tins back on it which were all painted but my father and i looked at it and decided that it needed more contrast so he decided he should strip the cooling fins and paint them a metallic color (aluminum color), similar to what Harley does on their engines. it cam out awesome. I got the engine on the machine and that starter and almost all the other things that have to be on there., i have been fighting with the weather here in ct because i have to paint outside so i haven't been on a steady schedule. My presentation of the tractor is on the 30th of April so I will soon be posting a lot of pictures of the finished product

Eric857

post-11463-0-87326400-1396446226_thumb.j

post-11463-0-32022400-1396446241_thumb.j

post-11463-0-35178200-1396446255_thumb.j

post-11463-0-56672300-1396446309_thumb.j

post-11463-0-86195500-1396446356_thumb.j

post-11463-0-82674100-1396446425_thumb.j

Ken B

Lookin nice!

hm12460

Excellent job on a very worth while project.

Eric857

final updates. I have finished the project and I got a perfect score on it. a 4 out of 4 the links below will take you to the thread that show the first time i started it and the finished product, thanks to all who followed me through this project, I mentioned all of you in the thank you's at the end of my presentation because you all gave me advice and guided me in the ways of the Horse. thanks again. You guys have inspired me to make this a life long hobby and keep the wheel horse legacy alive for the younger generation to enjoy.

Please feel free to leave comments or questions about the project on the threads, this thread or in a PM

heres when i did my first real start:

here is where i show the finished product:

rmaynard

A perfect score is worth a couple of these  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs: , and a couple of these  :woohoo:  :happy-jumpeveryone:  :banana-tux: , and at least one of these  :greetings-clappingorange: . 

Good job Eric.