608KEB

I bought this back in March. I don't know how far I'm going to go with this project. I still prefer B & C series tractors. But I figured if I don't like the 5 series, I can sell it. I was wondering where I could find a basic manual for the 520. I also was wondering how to adjust the hydro. It doesn't go all the way in reverse. I don't know how to adjust this. I lifted the seat and can see the plate isn't going all the way back like it should, when I try to put it in reverse. Also I aligned the steering wheel but I noticed there is a lot of play in it. How do I correct this. What is the correct hydro filter? Do the filters of the sunstrand hydros work? I've heard others talk about adjusting the valves on these beasts. That may be beyond my skill level. How do I know if the valves are out of adjustment? I have started adding some seafoam to the fuel. I think this is going to be a long term project. By the way it is a beast... what power!!

post-5623-0-57642600-1370657332_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-69957200-1370657439_thumb.jp

• Like 2

cheesegrader

The basic 520 manual is available at the Toro website, and probably in the manuals section here.

The eaton manual has the instruction for adjusting your drive issues.  It is in the manuals section.

The hydro filter is Toro part 108335 or 79-5270.  They are nearly $25 each, but I just don't have any experience with aftermarket versions,

and I am a little leery.

I have numbers for Napa1410 and Wix 51410,  but I only have experience with the Toro version.

I think the valve adjustment information is in the manual for the Onan P220, but there are a couple of

Youtube videos that show the process clearly.  Search Onan P220 carb or Onan P220 valve.   Not hard at all.

I'm not smart enough to help you with the steering.  Worn bushings are a common problem, but I have been lucky enough to avoid that demon so far.

Your tractor looks like it is in great shape.  Much nicer than my '91.

Maybe I  am overdue for some work!

gwest_ca

Operator manuals

Model 73501

Model 73520

Garry

AMC RULES

Gorgeous tractor...how many hours on it?  

608KEB

978 hours. Thanks for the info and support.

cheesegrader

If you decide you aren't a 520 kind of guy, let me know!

I have a rescue ranch for unwanted 520's, where they run and play in the woods until the end of their days!

• Like 2

oneroadkingman

well that's a nice looking 520 wish mine was that nice looking yeah the steering check the bushings in it gears make sure all your front end parts are good tight greased where are you located at.

Tankman

Sweet! Wish my '90 520-8 looked so "dressed."

Very nice! And the original decals in great shape too. I'm guessing a previous owner who took care of business well. 

I haven't used SeaFoam in the fuel but, I plan too. I did use the spray SeaFoam in the carb. Made a like "wow" difference. I used other cleaners but SeaFoam is #1.

After owning numerous WH's, this 520-8 is my go to Horse for work. Don't know why, I just like it. Giddyup Horsey!  :happy-jumpeveryone:

608KEB

I listed the 520-H a while back on this site for sale. There was no one interested. I loaded the 520 on the trailer and decided to take it to my house from the farm and list it on E-bay. While I was going home I rationalized.....hey what's wrong with 3 tractors at home. I must have at least 1/3 of an acre lot. And it has to take at least 30 minutes to clear the drive of snow. My wife was at the farm a few weeks ago and saw 4 WH in my shed plus 2 at home. She said do you really need 6 tractors? I didn't have a good response. Well I made room in the garage and all 3 fit. She doesn't know that I'm always trying to make more room! I'm not going to totally restore it. I'm going to have the tins bead blasted and repainted. I'll do the rims eventually. Hopeully I'll have it done before the snow flys. It has a cab too! I'll post pictures of the progress. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions also.

Edited by 608KEB
  • Like 1

608KEB

I'm going to get started on this today...one year later. Started tearing it down this afternoon. This is how far I got.

post-5623-0-86718400-1409361123_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-84847600-1409361191_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-29858500-1409361265_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-91717800-1409361321_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-15127100-1409361353_thumb.jp

Edited by 608KEB
  • Like 4

608KEB

A few more pictures. The omen has no issues that I could see or hear. I put about 15 hours on it. It needed about 2 ounces of oil. I'm hoping to only adjust the valves. 666=520 :scared-ghostface:

post-5623-0-88798000-1409362016_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-55771400-1409362076_thumb.jp

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:woohoo:   Them long term projects are the best.   :popcorn: 

cheesegrader

One of my hoods is dented in exactly the same place, only deeper.  

I'm curious to see what you can do with it.  I haven't had much luck.

I'm on the lookout for a cheap replacement.

My footrests are in similar shape.   They don't drain, and the ice (and salt) eat them.

I'm going to replace the center of them with expanded mesh stair tread this fall.

I have to finish the snowthrower and cab projects before the blizzards start next month,

but I am watching your project, and will steal your best ideas!

• Like 1

608KEB

A few more pics. I'm going to use the rust converter. I used it in the past with good results. I'm also going to install "Matt's Hydro Pedal" I'm also going to tighten up the steering. I've watched the "Dukes" video on you tube and plan on doing something similar.

post-5623-0-11058500-1409424116_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-20001400-1409424171_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-95038800-1409424241_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-81961700-1409424309_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-24620900-1409424545_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-17881800-1409424610_thumb.jp

Edited by 608KEB

608KEB

A few more pics. The steering play is loose. I'm going to look into shaving, grinding or sanding the block down. the front bearing seems tight. I'm not sure if I'm going to change it. I'm going to try to put some shim stock in the smaller block. That does have quite a bit of play. I'm also going replace the bushing on the steering shaft.

post-5623-0-38251200-1409802840_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-41229300-1409802890_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-49381600-1409803018_thumb.jp

Edited by 608KEB

608KEB

I went to pick up a air sensor for the 520 H. $82.00 I decided to pass on it. Would somebody know of something compatible for less$$. It's part number 114270.

cheesegrader

I have had problems with the nipple breaking off on several of my tractors.

I haven't noticed any difference in performance when this happens.

I check my filters often, and keep a clean, oiled pre-filter in place.

I put one back together with JB Weld, and it lasted a year.

Not worth $80 to fix, in my opinion.

I'd love to see other opinions, but I don't see any harm in ignoring this...so far.

608KEB

Cheese grader that's what happened to mine. The nipple broke off. It's made by World Magnetics, Traverse City MI. I found one on there website. I'm going to call on Monday and see how much they are. I also picked up new bushings for the steering. I'm going to try to find some shim stock to put in the smaller block of the steering assembly. I won't make it go completely around it. The steering overall is tight with the exception of the small block. Or else the grease won't go where it's has to. I'll post some pics when I get to that point

608KEB

Installed the hydro pedal. I also sanded and painted a few steering parts

post-5623-0-29037500-1410736948_thumb.jp

608KEB

I finished up the steering today. I replaced the two bushings on the steering system. I shimmed the smallest gear that works with the fan gear. I used 5000ths shim stock. I left the smaller block as it was. I felt it wouldn't have done much good to shim it. I now have 2" of play in the wheel. I'm very happy with that. It's the same amount of play as my other 520H that has 355 hours on it. Before I did this, there was about 4 1/2" of play. Next I'm going to clean the breather valve and baffle, cylinder head deposits and adjust the valves. How should I go about cleaning the breather valve and baffle? :eusa-think:

post-5623-0-88697800-1411588307_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-42505400-1411588364_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-87554700-1411588419_thumb.jp

• Like 2

motox25

the baffle and valve can be cleaned in a solvent

• Like 1

608KEB

It's been a few weeks. This is the mower deck I'll be using for the 520H. Model 78345 42" SD. I picked it up about 3 weeks ago. I took it apart and cleaned it up. I wired brushed the underside and used Permatex Rust treatment and EZ slide. I polished and touched the deck up.I hope the EZ Slide holds up. I used it on some other mower decks and it seems to work. I don't know how long it will last. Time will tell.

post-5623-0-23355900-1412967048_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-68294300-1412967100_thumb.jp

post-5623-0-83731700-1412967252_thumb.jp

Edited by 608KEB
  • Like 3

cheesegrader

Nice looking deck!

Did you do anyting with the spindle housings?

They seem to be a weak point.  I've seen several people paint them, just to try to cut down on the corrosion.

I'm looking at using POR 15 on my oldest deck this winter, and am thinking about painting the housings at the same time.

Did you replace the bearings?  Where did you find replacements, and how hard was it getting them out?

608KEB

Thanks for the comment! I did not replace the bearings. I took them out and ran them through the parts cleaner. Toro still has these bearings(#109966). I printed a manual for the deck. There is a snap ring on the bottom of the Housing-Spindle.Take that off. There is a sleave on the inside the Housing-Spindle. I moved it to the side and very gently tapped the bearings until they came out. I moved the spindles so that the worn down part of the spindle was in a different postion. Only one of the spindles was eaten pretty bad. I have not painted them. I did buy one spindle from Toro, to have a extra (#114568). I think the deck is a 1998 model. I would like to try the por 15 sometime. But I already had bought the EZ glide. I've heard good things about using por 15. I just ordered valve and head gaskets for the onan. I was going to adjust valves and clean the piston heads. Never did this before. I'll probably have a few questions!! :scratchead:

Edited by 608KEB

cheesegrader

Sounds like you got off easy on the bearings.

I've read horror stories about getting them out.

I have to do the same decarb and valve adjustments on my oldest tractor this winter.

I saw a gasket kit on Ebay for Onan p220's with head gaskets and a few other bits.

I've never done that job, so I'm not sure what else should be done at the same time.

I'll watch you do it first, and learn a few things!

• Like 1