Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Smith

HELP NEEDED!!! PAINT ISSUES....

Charlie Smith

Yes strongly agree

Charlie

Anglo Traction

Always a problem matching red colours. It's the worst colour for stability and will vary according to surroundings (if shiney) and light. I try to match them outside when overcast. They say that light from a northern direction is is best on our Latitude (Artists use this method)....I kid you not.  

IMHO , I prefer to keep the semi aged, faded Red. but with a good shine/finish. So mine came out nearest to RAL 3000. Both my Tractors had slightly different shades of original non exposed paint, so pretty inconsistent. 

Here's an example on the 74 C-120 where the colour behind the old decals gave me a near match, plus there is a good original painted Deck in the background for comparison. Wheels are Diamond White, similar to the US Wimbledon White, a Tad creamier than the original ...pic taken with daylight Strip Tubes and natural light with no flash..... should zoom in if you click on it

post-3520-0-48498600-1361720169_thumb.jp

By the way, Vapourmatic paints are Enamel based and low VOCs, but the Thinners are the Iffy volatile liquids !!!. Good paint though. 

Edited by Anglo Traction

Charlie Smith

Thank you for shareing your wise knowledge Richard. :D

Charlie

Stigian

That's interesting about light from the north being the best for looking at stuff... Your full of handy info Richard  :handgestures-thumbup:

Of course tomorrow I'm now going to have to peel of one of the decals on my 6X6 to see what shade the 1971 paint is underneath :D 

Charlie Smith

Ah I don't want too peel mine off just yet. Think I'm going to leave mine be for a while....

Charlie.

meadowfield

well I did peel mine off :D

IMG_9301_zps596ae0be.jpg

raider looks a slight bit darker than the footrest from a C-121 where the grip tape has been removed. Despite having a good camera, choice of angle and light from the North :)   it's not the best of pics....

Charlie Smith

Oh yes defiantly that raider does look a lot darker.

Charlie

Stigian

HHmm... Interesting photo Mark..  All of the paint looks quite a dark shade of red.. Certainly not a bright red...

Mark.... Any chance you could put a blob of paint from one of those tins on your de-stickered panel...  Curious to see how the shades match..

I'm off to peel off a 1971 sticker shortly, I wonder what shade will be under it :D

Charlie Smith

Do post once you peel that 1971 sticker off. Would be very interesting too see what colour is hiding behind there... Maybe a nice Bright Pink ;) ahaha...

Charlie.

Stigian

It could be any colour under there... Just as long as it's not green  :D

When my 312 first arrived the hand painted red Smoothrite had faded to quite a nasty shade of pink... It was quite embarrassing to drive....  Didn't stop me using it of course  :D 

Charlie Smith

No green. I dislike that colour.. That's why I'd never have a Deere or a norlett.

And just casually driving about in a pink tractor was ya :P

Charlie

meadowfield

HHmm... Interesting photo Mark..  All of the paint looks quite a dark shade of red.. Certainly not a bright red...

Mark.... Any chance you could put a blob of paint from one of those tins on your de-stickered panel...  Curious to see how the shades match..

I'm off to peel off a 1971 sticker shortly, I wonder what shade will be under it :D

think I can manage that...

No green. I dislike that colour.. That's why I'd never have a Deere or a norlett.

And just casually driving about in a pink tractor was ya :P

Charlie

Norletts were actually red or gold. My dads is green cos that was the colour it was when we found it. Not having any pics made it difficult and he liked the green...

He does not wish is was red!  :ychain:

Charlie Smith

Really. :o wow I've like only seen green ones. Unless its the same green one following me around lol...

Charlie

meadowfield

the green one you've found is more than likely my dads!

Charlie Smith

Well here it is.....

meadowfield

yup,

1st pic is at our local wheel horse meet in Yorkshire

2nd pic is in my garden after I brought it home from the Cumbrian Steam rally

3rd pic is my dads year 2 years ago when it was finished

Charlie Smith

Ah we'll yes then they are all the same one, aha :) never would of known lol.... The nearest wheel horse round up too me is Ardingly only a few miles away.. You attending that one?

Charlie

Stigian

Well, the paint under the sticker was red... Which is a good start...

But your going to have to wait a while for the photos as I'm in the shack and can't uoload them from my knackered laptop..

Charlie Smith

Ahh your back. Hello again and don't worry about the photos just yet the most important thing is that it was red behind there. :P

Charlie.

Stigian

I'm just loitering by the laptop while trying to work out how to get the fenders on my 6X6 matching both sides.

meadowfield

Ah we'll yes then they are all the same one, aha :) never would of known lol.... The nearest wheel horse round up too me is Ardingly only a few miles away.. You attending that one?

Charlie

yes, me and my dad will do that. My son and brother won't be - the 550 mile round trip killed them last time!!!!

Charlie Smith

Ah okay matching it the hardest part lol, and....Leave now on your wheel horses and you might get there just in time... :P 550 miles. Wow it's a 15 minute drive for me.. Few..

Charlie.

meadowfield

as it happens I work in London through the week, so getting there for me isn't too hard...  My dad is bringing the horses and I'll pop across friday night.

Charlie Smith

Ah I see. Not too bad in total then. Even though its a great show I bet you love the feeling of getting home after that weekend.. How many horses will be attending from your family then..

Charlie

Stigian

And now the photo's you all have been waiting for...... Or maybe not :D

These were taken on a "good in it's day but showing signs of age" camera with no flash, Light from the north shining through a dirty window, and a cold draft blowing under the door   :laughing-rofl:

P2250180_zpsc7178def.jpg

P2250178_zps2da04a5b.jpg

As I expected after 40+ years the sticker didn't want to come off without a fight, but the paint under there looks quite dark to me..