Sign in to follow this  
Tom Bartlett

Wheel Horse Newby with a Suburban

Tom Bartlett

First posting here. I have been lurking for a year or so, mostly looking at the pictures of the Suburbans. I had obtained a 1961 551 a couple of years ago, and began to slowly restore it, starting with the engine. I had about given up on the original Lauson (weak spark), until a friend helped me swap out the coil (had to machine the flywheel slightly). I ended up with a sweet-running engine that starts immediately. The front wheels were too far gone to save, so I found some on eBay. At 73, I really appreciate the electric start. I spent the winter scrubbing and painting parts, and have almost got it finished. I plan to modify the exhaust slightly. I am attaching two pictures before I started, and several after I began to re-assemble it. This website has been a great resource for information, especially the great pictures showing the small details.

Tom Bartlett

post-875-0-89642700-1343340290_thumb.jpg

post-875-0-56594500-1343340306.jpg

post-875-0-93935900-1343340363.jpg

post-875-0-50045600-1343340394.jpg

post-875-0-65609900-1343340427.jpg

• Like 4

smoreau

:WRS: and very nice looking suburban! That has to be one of my favorites to cruse around on!

Jake Kuhn

:WRS: Thats one very nice 551 you got there! :bow-blue:

stevebo

Very nice !! Wish you joined earlier and allowed us to follow your restore but either way glad to have you and nice restore !

TT

:WRS: , Tom!

Very nice work! :handgestures-thumbup:

Wish you joined earlier

He's been here almost as long as you, Stevebo! :eusa-whistle:

dclarke

:WRS: Nice job on the surburban!

AMC RULES

That is a gorgeous restoration you've done on your Suburban Tom. :text-coolphotos:

Ken B

You did a great job on that Burban!

Ed Kennell

Wow, great job, beautiful restoration.

VinsRJ

:WRS:

Looks like you did a great job!

neil

welcome to Redsquare from Great Britain

love the tractor you did a real nice job on the restoration

speedyleedy

You did a very nice job on the 551 ! :WRS: