Sign in to follow this  
MikesRJ

CBR-32 Pitman Arm

MikesRJ

Does anyone have a close-up picture showing both ends of the CBR-32 Pitman Arm? If so, could you post it please.

wallfish

Did you take it apart and forget how it goes back together?????? :omg:

Mine is buried in the shed but I'll se if I can get to it

rickv1957

Mike,I have to ask,what is this pittman arm?,Rick

MikesRJ

Did you take it apart and forget how it goes back together?????? :omg:

Mine is buried in the shed but I'll se if I can get to it

John,

Nope (Smart-Arse), I have the manuals and know very well how I took it apart as far as I have gotten so far.

But I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get the Pitman Arm off the drive shaft. The shaft is bent and needs to be straightened before restoration. It appears to have been welded at both ends, which does not appear to be original. :D Looking for a picture to figure out what "right" looks like.

Rick,

The Pitman Arm is part number 7 in the following manual;

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/Mowers/CBR-32.pdf

rickv1957

Mike,have one of them mowers purchased,needs picked up,thanks Rick

wallfish

you can solve most problems with a hammer,vice grips and duct tape. :omg:

I don't think looking at mine would be much help because there was some work done on it for that exact same bearing but I'll check on it tomorrow. The drawing makes it look simple though, remove the castle nut and tap it off.

rwilson

In the drawing part 7 is called Pitmanarm assy. I understand that to mean that it is supposed to be one piece and not come apart.? :omg:

MikesRJ

The CBR-32 Sickle Bar Mower is nearing completion:

Well, after getting frustrated I cut the outer band of the guard and got the Pitman Assembly removed. In the process of restoring the unit I also figured out the correct removal technique for the Pitman Assembly.

Once the castle nut and washers are removed, move the Pitman Arm away from the flywheel slightly. Using an "L" shaped small crew driver, push the roller bearing inner race up and out of the roller bearing and remove it from the assembly. Using the same tool, push the roller bearing out of the Pitman Arm end (an inner bearing removal tool may also be used for this step). remove the Zerk Fitting from the Pitman Arm end. The Pitman Arm can now be removed from the within guard and off of the flywheel.

DSCN2334.JPG

DSCN2335.JPG

Here's where we started:

Sickle_1.jpg

Sickle_2.jpg