sqrlgtr 3,908 #1 Posted 18 hours ago I thought I had seen on here where someone had cut a set of wheels with an angle grinder to widen them but cannot find it now. Also There use to be a video of widening wheels also but its no longer there, thought someone may have video saved and could share. Has anyone tried this before and what kind of luck did you have? Wanting to widen a set for some 26x12x12 tires. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ebinmaine 80,686 #2 Posted 18 hours ago @kpinnc or @19richie66 ? 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ebinmaine 80,686 #3 Posted 18 hours ago @kpinnc or @19richie66 ? Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
kpinnc 18,954 #4 Posted 17 hours ago I've done this before just to see if I could- but will just spend the money next time on a wide set of wheels. It is alot of work. But yes I used a side grinder with cutoff wheels and a narrow strip of steel to align both sides when finished. I also used the tractor itself to both mark and cut the wheels. Just jacked up the rear and let the wheel spin in low range and don't try to cut much. Just let the grinder do what it does. The good thing was because of where my cuts were, the leftover parts make up some nice 6 inch wide spares. 7 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ebinmaine 80,686 #5 Posted 12 hours ago 6 hours ago, sqrlgtr said: wheels You may very well be money and time ahead of yourself to find a pair of wheel blanks like pullers use and weld in the centers to the correct backspacing. ....? 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
JoeM 10,259 #6 Posted 11 hours ago There always seems to be wide wheels at the big show. I know Miller Tire sells them on line. I'm with KPinNC, lots of time involved not to mention you need two sets of wheels. 3 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
sqrlgtr 3,908 #7 Posted 9 hours ago 8 hours ago, kpinnc said: I've done this before just to see if I could- but will just spend the money next time on a wide set of wheels. It is alot of work. But yes I used a side grinder with cutoff wheels and a narrow strip of steel to align both sides when finished. I also used the tractor itself to both mark and cut the wheels. Just jacked up the rear and let the wheel spin in low range and don't try to cut much. Just let the grinder do what it does. The good thing was because of where my cuts were, the leftover parts make up some nice 6 inch wide spares. I didn't even think about using a strip of metal at the joint. I was just thinking I could cut them off good and square and weld them back together. 2 hours ago, JoeM said: There always seems to be wide wheels at the big show. I know Miller Tire sells them on line. I'm with KPinNC, lots of time involved not to mention you need two sets of wheels. I do have enough wheels, 2 sets, to make them with but may have to rethink this projecto. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
mrc 1,118 #8 Posted 8 hours ago years ago i wanted a set of wider wheels. i bought the 10 inch wide ones form miller tire along with the center blanks. weld in for whatever backspacing you desire 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
19richie66 17,934 #9 Posted 7 hours ago I bought blanks and welded the centers in. Easiest way to do it. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
sqrlgtr 3,908 #10 Posted 7 hours ago 1 hour ago, mrc said: years ago i wanted a set of wider wheels. i bought the 10 inch wide ones form miller tire along with the center blanks. weld in for whatever backspacing you desire 5 minutes ago, 19richie66 said: I bought blanks and welded the centers in. Easiest way to do it. I checked on doing that, but I could by whole wheel cheaper than buying blanks and centers ( 306 compared to 216 for a set of 2). Found some 12x10.5 fer 108 free shipping and would probably be hard to beat that price but only thing is valve stem is on outside and was really needing them on the inside because of the WH wheel weights I was wanting to run. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
kpinnc 18,954 #11 Posted 5 hours ago 3 hours ago, sqrlgtr said: didn't even think about using a strip of metal at the joint. I was just thinking I could cut them off good and square and weld them back together. I welded up one with, one without. The band made things much easier. Probably much stronger as well. But it's 3 welds all the way around. Two outside and one inside. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites