Jump to content
sqrlgtr

widen rear wheels

Recommended Posts

sqrlgtr

I thought I had seen on here where someone had cut a set of wheels with an angle grinder to widen them but cannot find it now. Also There use to be a video of widening wheels also but its no longer there, thought someone may have video saved and could share. Has anyone tried this before and what kind of luck did you have? Wanting to widen a set for some 26x12x12 tires. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine

@kpinnc or @19richie66

 

?

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine

@kpinnc or @19richie66

 

?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
kpinnc

I've done this before just to see if I could- but will just spend the money next time on a wide set of wheels. It is alot of work. 

 

But yes I used a side grinder with cutoff wheels and a narrow strip of steel to align both sides when finished. I also used the tractor itself to both mark and cut the wheels. Just jacked up the rear and let the wheel spin in low range and don't try to cut much. Just let the grinder do what it does. 

 

The good thing was because of where my cuts were, the leftover parts make up some nice 6 inch wide spares. 

 

 

 

 

20260421_184736.jpg

20260424_231303.jpg

20260425_162331.jpg

20260425_210950.jpg

  • Excellent 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
6 hours ago, sqrlgtr said:

wheels

 

You may very well be money and time ahead of yourself to find a pair of wheel blanks like pullers use and weld in the centers to the correct backspacing.  ....?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
JoeM

There always seems to be wide wheels at the big show. I know Miller Tire sells them on line.

I'm with KPinNC, lots of time involved not to mention you need two sets of wheels.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
sqrlgtr
8 hours ago, kpinnc said:

I've done this before just to see if I could- but will just spend the money next time on a wide set of wheels. It is alot of work. 

 

But yes I used a side grinder with cutoff wheels and a narrow strip of steel to align both sides when finished. I also used the tractor itself to both mark and cut the wheels. Just jacked up the rear and let the wheel spin in low range and don't try to cut much. Just let the grinder do what it does. 

 

The good thing was because of where my cuts were, the leftover parts make up some nice 6 inch wide spares. 

I didn't even think about using a strip of metal at the joint. I was just thinking I could cut them off good and square and weld them back together.

 

2 hours ago, JoeM said:

There always seems to be wide wheels at the big show. I know Miller Tire sells them on line.

I'm with KPinNC, lots of time involved not to mention you need two sets of wheels.

I do have enough wheels, 2 sets, to make them with but may have to rethink this projecto.:eusa-think:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
mrc

years ago i wanted a set of wider wheels.   i bought the 10 inch wide ones form miller tire along with the center blanks.   weld in for whatever backspacing you desire

  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
19richie66

I bought blanks and welded the centers in. Easiest way to do it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
sqrlgtr
1 hour ago, mrc said:

years ago i wanted a set of wider wheels.   i bought the 10 inch wide ones form miller tire along with the center blanks.   weld in for whatever backspacing you desire

 

5 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

I bought blanks and welded the centers in. Easiest way to do it.

 

I checked on doing that, but I could by whole wheel cheaper than buying blanks and centers ( 306 compared to 216 for a set of 2). Found some 12x10.5 fer 108 free shipping and would probably be hard to beat that price but only thing is valve stem is on outside and was really needing them on the inside because of the WH wheel weights I was wanting to run.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
kpinnc
3 hours ago, sqrlgtr said:

didn't even think about using a strip of metal at the joint. I was just thinking I could cut them off good and square and weld them back together.

 

I welded up one with, one without. The band made things much easier. Probably much stronger as well. But it's 3 welds all the way around. Two outside and one inside. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...