Keaton

rj 59

Keaton

i am going to get a 702 soon and the same guy has a 1959 rj witch should be a rj 59 for $650 i was wondering if it was worthit, it is not the origonal engine but it has the correct engine a kolher. it also has a cultivator on the back. no other attachements, i belive the exaust cover is missing but nothing elese i can get pictures if that would help also

Keaton
Posted (edited)

theres pictures, and the tires look good and it had decent patina, i also wanted to put 1 more thing, the discription says "Wheel horse rj. Runs and drives comes with a cultivator. Transmission does have some noise but shifts through all the gears." so may need a transmission rebuild or bearings? i am guessing that is what the noise is, that would be a fun summer project 

Screenshot 2024-05-06 8.00.40 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-06 8.00.54 AM.png

Edited by Keaton
more to add
  • Excellent 6

Racinbob

I'm thinking you should latch on to that quickly. Transmission should be an easy fix. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ML3

I'd be bringing the RJ home! 

• Like 1

Keaton

id say i didint do to bad then if i go get thoes i got 3 tractors and a cultivator for selling 1 tractor 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Keaton

i think i got a deal for a non running 702 and a running rj59 and a few parts for a good deal i am going to get them saturday morning 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Keaton

and is there a way to confirm it is a rj59 or a rj58 because i wanna make shure it is a rj59 beofre i go 2 hours to go get it, but either way i think ill still get it cause i want that cultivator

oliver2-44

The date cast in the top of the transmission casting is the only way I’ve heard to tell

• Like 1

Keaton

ok, i might ask for that jusrt in case, but thank you @oliver2-44

stevasaurus
Posted (edited)

The RJ58 and RJ59 are the same tractor.  Like was said, the date code may help, but...  The date code will look like this ( A24-8) or (A24-9).  The letter is the month, the next is the day and the last is the year (1958 or 1959).  Wheel Horse most likely had transmissions on the shelf that were cast in 1958 that they used in 1959.  A casting date with a 9 at the end would be built in 1959, but 65 years later, it could be a 1958 with a 1959 built transmission.  They are not Corvetts.  :orcs-cheers:

Edited by stevasaurus

Keaton

so how come a 59 is rare and not as rare as a 58? is there less made of 59s? @stevasaurus

oliver2-44

Some think a 59 is "rare" because there's no way to tell the difference between a 58 and 59. 

59's might be worth a little more if the the original owner has it and and has the sales paper work to prove that it is a 59.  

Otherwise as already said, the 58 and 59 are the same and worth the same.

• Excellent 1

stevasaurus
Posted (edited)

@Keaton  the 58 & 59 RJ's came with a foil sticker on (I think) the left side of the dash tower.  Those stickers did not last long.  I think it is a conspirency to mis-represent RJ's into rare and not rare.  If someone is selling an item...saying it is rare seems to mean something or more money, even though it is BS.  The only true way I know is the date code on a trans that is from an original owner with paper work.  In esence, the 1959 RJ is just as rare as the 1958 RJ.  Think of this...a buyer (in those days) was buying an RJ garden tractor...what was the dealer actually selling him??  Same Horse, built for 2 years.  I do not know what else to say here.  Go get the horse...it is worth it whatever year it is.  

I'm 75 now and have a few parts that make me not original...I'm still a 1949 horse.  My sticker is gone also.  :ROTF:

Dang, do I wish I was a 1963 Powder Blue Split Window Corvette.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 4

Keaton

he did not say it was rare but somewhere on this fourm the rj 59 was listed as one the top 5 rarest wheel horses. i will just be happy with a rj no matter what @stevasaurus

• Thanks 1

Racinbob
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

@Keaton  

I'm 75 now and have a few parts that make me not original...I'm still a 1949 horse.  My sticker is gone also.  :ROTF:

Steve, in all our eyes your still an original one of a kind. We all love that and a few OEM replacement parts aren't going to change that. 

As far as that seldom seen sticker on the RJ's wasn't it on the left rail of the frame towards the front? I'm thinking I saw some pictures. Come on RJ guys. Help out here.

Now, if you were a 63 powder blue split window Corvette you don't want to paint a picture in your mind of what I'd do. :D

Edited by Racinbob
  • Haha 2

AMC RULES
Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 5:09 PM, stevasaurus said:

@Keaton  :ROTF:

Why can't you...

be happy just being powder blue? 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Haha 2

squonk

He already has the blue shirt! :hilarious:

• Haha 3

87 416-8 horse

Hey @Keaton, is this the 702 you were talking about getting?

IMG_2418.jpeg

Keaton

@87 416-8 horse mabye..., yes that is it, i see you found it. i am going to get it sauterday and a rj he has for sale. 

• Like 2

87 416-8 horse

That makes sense. Before I had found this topic I messaged the guy on marketplace because he’s not too far away from me and he said it was pending. Oh well. Good luck with that 702 and RJ. They look like a pretty solid machines.

• Like 1

Keaton

@87 416-8 horse oh, sorry he said he marked it as pending, i am going sauterday morning to go get it 

• Like 1

87 416-8 horse
2 minutes ago, Keaton said:

@87 416-8 horse oh, sorry he said he marked it as pending, i am going sauterday morning to go get it 

That’s ok, enjoy the tractors and keep us posted on the progress on them!

Pullstart
On 5/7/2024 at 5:46 PM, Keaton said:

he did not say it was rare but somewhere on this fourm the rj 59 was listed as one the top 5 rarest wheel horses. i will just be happy with a rj no matter what @stevasaurus

There were no production numbers ever produced, for the masses.  There is also a speculation that the ‘58 and ‘59 models are both RJ58, or if the ‘59 model is actually RJ59.  Believe what you want, the Ponds aren’t here to ask any longer.  They make me happy when I look at ‘em, or when I ride ‘em, or when I wrench on ‘em.  I don’t much care what is original, modified, restored, etc.  They make me happy.  That’s what it’s all about :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Heart 1

Keaton
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

There were no production numbers ever produced, for the masses.  There is also a speculation that the ‘58 and ‘59 models are both RJ58, or if the ‘59 model is actually RJ59.  Believe what you want, the Ponds aren’t here to ask any longer.  They make me happy when I look at ‘em, or when I ride ‘em, or when I wrench on ‘em.  I don’t much care what is original, modified, restored, etc.  They make me happy.  That’s what it’s all about :handgestures-thumbupright:

i cant agree anymore that that @Pullstart i would just like to have origonal engines if a can and a bit of history about it

• Like 2

Keaton
2 hours ago, 87 416-8 horse said:

That’s ok, enjoy the tractors and keep us posted on the progress on them!

@87 416-8 horse i will make a thread of it, it will be in a month or so i will make a thread of getting them. but then put them away for a bit till i get my 856 back into a tractor, instead of all parts 

• Like 3