cafoose

Sickle bar SMS-50 on my 953

cafoose

@Lane Ranger @wheelhorseman I started trying to fit my SMS-50 to my 953. The frame holes don't match up with the holes in the shaft support :thingy: that the belt to the sickle goes through but I think it's about where it needs to be. I may have to drill some holes. The shaft support looks like it's a little different from what the 953 uses. Maybe that's why. It does fit the wider 953 frame though. I had a 1/2 inch all thread that I used to line up the frame assembly to the shaft support. Looks like I need to get a 3/4 inch shaft and fabricate a rear mount for the shaft. The steering linkage interferes with the shaft support box. I think if I attach the linkage from the other side of the mounting hole it should work. I read that I may need to run either a smaller engine pulley or a larger pulley on the side of the shaft support box or I run the risk of exploding the wobble box :eek: I found the last picture on the internet courtesy of @Lane Ranger Am I doing okay so far?

20240505_184743.jpg

20240505_220828.jpg

20240505_220843.jpg

20240505_220942.jpg

20240505_220959.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 21-09-02 1965 Wheel Horse 1054-A.png

• Like 1

Pullstart

I see two differences in Lane’s picture from yours.  His mounting bracket is outside the frame, and a bit further forward on the mounting hole but about the same distance from the foot rest.  It makes me wonder if your bracket would fit outside a standard Horse frame?  Possibly it needs to fit my :wh:?  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut

Take at look at this thread, I will look for the thread I copied the photos from and attach it when/if I find it.

• Excellent 2

peter lena

@cafoose  interesting pictures , would like to have one of those  myself , something glairing at me is the pulleys ,not a sign of lubrication ,often refer to  COLLECTIVE ROTATIONAL DRAG , in any belt drive set up , another thing is the tiny original bearings , replaced most of my pulleys with same size / type , but with bushed larger bearings , also re greased , with hi temp / stress grease . also refer to a belt driven set up moving with ease , by hand . just a suggestion , pete

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Lane Ranger

The SMS-50 sickle bar may or may not have had two versions of the side plate portion of the sickle.

Our sickle has the original, wider plate frame made specifically for the 953/1054 garden tractors.

i know there are other sickle bar mower attachments that are one inch narrower than the 953/1054 to accommodate the other Wheel Horse 10/12/14/16 hp motorized garden tractors.   I have owned both types.

You have to search the manuals to find out which model you own!

You need search the drawings for all the part nuances.

the wider 953/1054 sides plate set up will work on smaller frame width tractors by placing a block between frame and place.  However, a smaller with sickle plate set up WILL NOT work correctly on a wider framed tractor.  

The sickle puts a lot of stress on the tractor and the rear attachment to the transmission, the side plates and the side hanger for the blade keeps things balanced.  

IMG_0724.jpeg

IMG_6985_Original.jpeg

IMG_5444_Original.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1