TC10284

Trailer hitch removal

TC10284

I have a trailer hitch from a newer parts 310-8 that I want to put on an older 312-8 that does not have one.

It seems stuck. What is the best way to remove it? One of the E or C clips is already removed. 

Pics of the hitch:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kmimbw88GPtD2cPV7

• Like 1

ebinmaine

What's stuck is likely the cross pin in the transmission case. 

Several of us have different ways to remove those pins. 

I'd get a jigsaw in just next to the hitch on each side and cut the pin. 

You'll want to start a soak on that pin for future usage of the transmission too. 

It'll need to come out to split the trans. 

• Like 2

JoeM

here is a recent thread on the hitch pin thing

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill

Yes indeed Travis, that puppy is "Brown welded" in place. Can you get the hitch pin out of the one you want to put the hitch on??

If so, saw thru the pin with the hitch to set it free. DO read the post above on removing the stuck portion in the center.

CAUTION - what ever method you use, extract the pin thru the thicker LEFT half of the Unidrive case, not the right. Right half is too thin and you will most likely break the stuck portion off, creating a leak.......

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@TC10284 , should always have that , slide pin , in a penetrating oil  soak state , also regularly , use my hitch point , to exercise it . have all of mine drilled out , for a ball hitch set up , makes anything a  no issue  hook up . pete 

• Like 2

ri702bill
6 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@TC10284 , should always have that , slide pin , in a penetrating oil  soak state , also regularly , use my hitch point , to exercise it . have all of mine drilled out , for a ball hitch set up , makes anything a  no issue  hook up . pete 

Funny there Pete. Yesterday I needed to drill out the later hitch on the 854 to accept a 3/4" shank of a trailer hitch ball. (Number 1 Son bought a pond boat...) Pin has been in there 10 plus years - removed one C clip and pushed it out with ONE finger. My greasable pin design in the post above just flat out works......

• Excellent 2

peter lena

@ri702bill  as you know , regularly check ups on your stuff , tells you what's going on , like your  slide pin , lubrication  set up !  BTW , if someone was to drill out an older style  / type flat hitch to a 3/4 " hole , nothing stopping you , from cutting a short slide in bushing to retain the smaller hole if needed , then its just a swap and go , to the older , small hole pin fit . have the 3/4 ball hitch on all my stuff , makes for quick / easy mount , also lever area / is  lubricated  / ball , red grease , make it easy , stay greasy , pete

ri702bill

@peter lena - Did that on the C81 hitch I opened up to 3/4" years ago. Turned up a stepped bushing out of scrap aluminum to accept a 1/2" round eye bolt - that stays on all year long.

Bill

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@ri702bill  thats the advantage of , regularly , experimenting  with an issue , you can always ad a  "  WHAT IF ?  " to the situation . another ironic result , of  looking at  W/H ,anything , is that is close to , being  very  solid , function  is usually rough / needing some basic movement improving  detailing . think the attachment , set ups , are the easiest  to improve ,  like a side stool  sitting look at the situation , still marvel at how easily / quietly the PTO LEVER  set up can be , from original set up . also referring to  plow frame set up . always snoopin around  , looking at function . pete 

• Like 1

Lee1977
Posted (edited)

SAM-1116-2.jpg

I used 3/4" 3 point top link hitch pins on my Wheel Horses they are plated and I have never had a problem removing them.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Lee1977  also like your bolt on coil seat springs , have those on all my horses , experimented , with a bolt on slide on  tapered spring base , allowing me to easily  switch springs for  setting I wanted , pete