victorb

How do you move around big attachments

victorb

I have been absent from the forum for awhile as life has been busy. To help with this I am trying to get my 520H ready to help me get some of my tasks done quicker (mowing, etc) but here is my problem. I am basically a 1 man team and moving and attaching things like a large snow blower is not fun and the 60" deck is nearly impossible. I need help.  How does everyone else move these large attachments around?

Based on what I have read, I think that if I can get the 60" deck out into the open then I hope I can roll over it (I think i may create some small wood ramps to make it easier) but I am dreading just getting the deck out into the open. Also I have my 48" snow blower attachment currently blocking my tractor in front (I think I was getting ready to install it but never did and I don't remember how I even got it in front in the first place).  So I need recommendations how to move these 2 heavy items by myself without forklift or loader.  I tried to use hand truck but could not find an optimal way to position the weight.

I apologize if this has been discussed before (I did look but couldn't find anything).

• Like 3

ebinmaine

What type of ground or other surfaces do you work on?

• Like 1

victorb

Everything is outside right now. It is covered but it is just plain dirt floor.

• Sad 2

victorb
1 minute ago, Ed Kennell said:

Keep them on a tractor,     4 or 5 should be enough.

:-)   Trust me, I have been looking and considering it.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

OoPEZoO

Harbor freight furniture dollies ….at least that’s what I use. 1 for my 2-stage snow blower, 1 for my 48” plow, and 3-4 more floating around for everything else heavy that needs kicked around the shop. I built all my work benches and tool boxes just high enough that the dollies can roll under the bottom when not in use

• Like 3

Handy Don
1 hour ago, victorb said:

if I can get the 60" deck out into the open then I hope I can roll over it

The 60” deck is a bruiser, but it is not designed to support the weight of a tractor rolling over the top. The spindle pulleys and covers would likely sustain damage. Even the smaller deck are quite heavy and there isn’t a lot of clearance under the tractor when mounting and unmounting.

Some members have built dollies and hand truck adaptors both for storage and mounting. 

• Like 4

ebinmaine
57 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

This is the BEST way.  

26 minutes ago, OoPEZoO said:

Harbor freight furniture dollies

These are excellent. We have a few too. 

Also some brown plastic ones from. Home Depot.  

• Like 2

squonk

Dollies. Cheap fold up engine cranes. Old swing set with a chain hoist Ect. 

• Like 6

953 nut

for heavy items that are on the dirt I would suggest getting some plywood that they can be pushed onto and attach some ropes to one end to pull them out of the way.

• Like 3

Evguy
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I’m going this route, purpose built machines. 
I’m not good with low work so I don’t like changing them, like others I use dollies and profanity.

Edited by Evguy
Spellng
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Ed Kennell

I don't have  a 60"er, but I find a wrecking bar helps me to install and remove my 42s and 48s.

I find using the hooked end to pull the decks is much easier than pushing.

Then use the straight end to align the lift lever and the attach o matic.JobSmart 36 in. Wrecking Bar

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

victorb

Thank you all for the quick replies. I will try out as many of these as I need to (especially the profanity) to get the 60" deck on and it is likely it will stay on there forever.

I will keep an eye out for new WH for the snow blower.

I will try to follow up here to let you know how I make out and what method worked for me.

• Like 4

c-series don

@victorb Funny that you bring this up, because today I had to get my 60” deck out and mounted. I have a C-141 with a loader that I use to move it. The deck goes on a 416-H with 6” front wheels and no forward swept front axle. So I have to jack up the front of the tractor to get the deck under it. As I was fighting it and using profanity to help it along I started to think that there’s no way I’m doing this when I get older. And I’m doing it on a smooth concrete floor! @Ed Kennell This year for the first time I tied a small rope to the deck so I could stand up and pull it. The damn thing is HEAVY. @Handy Don One year I did drive over it to mount it and I will never do that again. Let’s just say it didn’t go well, but I had to try! I dread taking it on and off every year but it needs to come off to get the underside power washed and blades sharpened before being put away for winter. My 44” two stage blower is mounted to my 417-A and it doesn’t come off! I mounted it on the tractor at least 15 years ago and have never taken it off, nor do I plan to! Most of my other attachments are on dedicated tractors like Ed said to do. Sweeper, rototiller, plow, grader blade, cultivators, sickle bar, generator, loader, dethatcher. I think that’s all I have!! It is a good excuse to have more tractors! 

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

kpinnc
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

pull them out of the way.

When moving these heavy implements, pulling them is much easier than pushing. 

With the 60 inch deck, and if you decide to leave it on the tractor- keep a close eye on the front belly hitch. The 60 is about the max for it, and will wallow the hitch out. There are holes in the hitch for retaining pins. You may want to use them. 

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

grinchsr

I use car dollies they tend to roll easier than furniture dollies and I have an automotive engine hoist for lifting.

• Like 4

squonk
9 hours ago, c-series don said:

it needs to come off to get the underside power washed and blades sharpened before being put away for winter.

How about leaving it on and building a trolley with a winch or a chain hoist and lifting the front of the tractor up to clean underneath and service the blades? 

• Like 5

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, squonk said:

How about leaving it on and building a trolley with a winch or a chain hoist and lifting the front of the tractor up to clean underneath and service the blades? 

I was thinking maybe @c-series don Don should just put in a four post lift in the garage...

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

peter lena

@victorb   use , large cargo straps , rated , 10 k  +  12 ft long , along with a  harbor freight , ratchet   chain  lift , also have , 3/8  steel  hooks , for a  connection point .  numerous  loop  points , for hook ups . usually have heavy anything propped up to a wall , with a higher , pull point , and screw in eye bolts , to easily , spring / hook  in place . problem is the same , weather large or smaller , once you have go to points , easy to  chain lift , item in to place .  also  use lift shackles ,  S shaped steel  open hooks , for easy hook up . pete 

• Like 3

rjg854

I use something like this to get underneath my decks for cleaning and sharpening.  That way I can do more often than just once a year.

Image result for garden tractor lift

• Like 6

lynnmor
47 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

I use something like this to get underneath my decks for cleaning and sharpening.  That way I can do more often than just once a year.

Image result for garden tractor lift

Be sure to get a heavy duty version, that 60” deck is about 340 pounds alone.  I destroyed a cheap Harbor Freight one in short order.  Also, that lift will only be in the way for installation and removal of a 60” deck.

A very smooth surface is all that is needed but even soft paint on it will hinder sliding. Perhaps Masonite glued to plywood would make a suitable and portable floor for outdoor use.  A famous green tractor has deck rollers that turn sideways so the yellow deck will roll right in.  Maybe someone wants to invent some rollers that will work, just be sure that the deck isn’t raised very much.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

PWL216

I use the Yard Glider. Works great.

7FCAF490-4571-4372-AF36-FBD3DF06EB86.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, PWL216 said:

Yard Glider. Works great.

That looks like it would do the trick.            :handgestures-thumbupright:                 Seems most of the responses have missed the point that the snow blower is on the dirt in front of the tractor and needs to be moved.            :angry-tappingfoot:

On 4/23/2024 at 5:59 PM, victorb said:

Everything is outside right now. It is covered but it is just plain dirt floor.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Perhaps a cheaper alternative... :eusa-think:

I used one of these to skid the yard art...

image.jpeg.f03b57866ac91b6a3345b5df7eab4b5a.jpeg

• Like 6