dkg520

What do I have?

dkg520

Found this at a flea market today.  Can anyone please tell me what I have and what am I missing to make it work?  I know it needs a lot of work but all it cost me was $20.00.  Thanks for any information

IMG_2798.jpeg

IMG_2799.jpeg

IMG_2800.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

ri702bill

It appears to be a 16 tooth siclke bar attachment - that may have played Hockey judging by the broken tooth on the right! 

Judging by what looks like a #35 roller chain (or smaller) possibly from an RJ??

• Like 2

dkg520

Is there more to the sickle bar than what I have? Minus the broken end.

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@WHX?? and @Pullstart  Can you help ?

• Like 2

ri702bill

Not sure - I do not have one.

Perhaps look at early implement sicklebar manuals for RJ??

• Like 1

dkg520
Posted (edited)

Could it possibly be a 32” sickle bar for a 701 or 702? Possibly a CBR-327?

Edited by dkg520
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

@Lane Ranger has some or has had some that look like that I believe.  I’d double your money if you decide it’s not for you!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

dkg520

Thank you. I did see those manuals but they just didn’t seem exactly like what I have. 

• Like 2

wallfish
8 minutes ago, dkg520 said:

Thank you. I did see those manuals but they just didn’t seem exactly like what I have. 

What exactly are you seeing different? We only have a couple of pics to compare. And actually I don't see the manuals for the 327 just the 32

Here's the pic of the CBR-327

CBR-327f.jpg.f3684323455c5355b3c3caed1fca3387.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

dkg520

That’s what I have.  But I could not find a manual for that particular model.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger
Posted (edited)

DJG.520: 

yes what you have found is the rare chain drive CBR327. Front cutter bar .  Photos in Wheel Horse advertising show this cutter bar on a 701 Wheel Horse garden tractor.  The first 7 HP Kohler used by wheel horse with an electric starter.

There is no know manual for this CBR-327 front cutter bar.   There are several folks that have them and about four years ago before Covid we had four of these cutter bars with 701 tractors at the Big Show Wheel Horse Collector’s Club Show.

I will post pictures.

I have a friend in Florida that found one and I completely rebuilt it with new needle bearings when I restored it.  I put new blades on the cutter bar and greased up good.  I also own a CBR-32 front cutter bar that was used on the RJs and Suburbans.  This front cutter bar actually is a later version for the four wheel RJs and Suburbans that was first used in two wheel POND wheel horse garden tractors.  Somewhere in the Red Square Wheel Horse website is a copy of my two wheel cutter bar manual.

These cutter bars need to be greased almost at each usage.  The blades can be still purchased and will need the same rivets as in the CB-32 front cutter bar.  Webb Cuuting blades in Nebraska makes new blades to order that are heat treated and cost less than $.00 each.

My CBR-327 did not need new chain but that too can be purchased if needed.

I think there may be an oil seal on the mechanism but I forget for sure.  I changed most of the four or five grease fittings to ease greasing.

The major thing you need with this is the front mule drive.  No exact picture of one in a manual so what do you do.  I bought an old early gear drive Wheel Horse mower deck with a three race pulley with a grease fitting in it.  This would attaché to a tractor like a 701/702 with the idler and clutch pedal to engage the mower.  Same basic thing is done for the front cutter bar.  The three race pulley retains the cross rod to attach in the attach a matic side plates (just like you would do for a great drive mower deck).  

Some of the younger guys who own them may recall the belt sizes needed and other issues but this is what I recall.   They are very good machines and in my opinion operate better than the CBR-32 belt drive front cutter bar.  But you are very busy operating these or any sickle ( like the side mounts that came in 1962 and made the CBR-327 unnecessary as a sale item for Wheel Horse).

IMG_9456.jpeg

IMG_5076.jpeg

IMG_5077.jpeg

IMG_5080.jpeg

IMG_5081.jpeg

IMG_5072.jpeg

IMG_9991.jpeg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

JoeM

Awesome find! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Worth way more restored.

When I first looked at it I though what a cool piece for the man cave wall. 

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Some more CBR-327 front cutter bar pictures.

Note  the guard for covering the chain drive.  This helps keep out grass cut from the chain mechanism.

There is also a good photo of the mule drive mechanism in the front of the tractor.   Again this comes from a 32 or 36 gear driven more deck.

IMPORANT:   It must have the three race pulley and the grease fitting for the needle bearings to properly run the chain drive front cutter bar.

IMG_6604.jpeg

IMG_6953.jpeg

IMG_5272.jpeg

IMG_6598.jpeg

IMG_5072.jpeg

IMG_5080.jpeg

IMG_5077.jpeg

IMG_5081.jpeg

IMG_9991.jpeg

IMG_9988.jpeg

IMG_6443.png

IMG_5996.png

IMG_5230.jpeg

IMG_6978.jpeg

IMG_6601.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

ACman
Posted (edited)

I’m wondering if the many many nos blades , double guards that my dad has in stock for New Idea , Gleaners and Allis Chalmers would possibly interchange.we also stocked them for other brands too .It sure made for a long day having to change out blades and guards on hay mowers and grain heads . :tools-hammerdrill: 

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2

dkg520

Thank you  for all the information

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Lane Ranger
13 hours ago, ACman said:

I’m wondering if the many many nos blades , double guards that my dad has in stock for New Idea , Gleaners and Allis Chalmers would possibly interchange.we also stocked them for other brands too .It sure made for a long day having to change out blades and guards on hay mowers and grain heads . :tools-hammerdrill: 

Jari sickle mower blades will fit.  

• Like 1

wallfish

@Lane Ranger Hey, I remember seeing this line up.

Security had a witness that was trying to positively ID the perp that p'd on the toilet seat!  :ROTF:

Amazing how many of the "rare" things are always more plentiful at the big show. Lots of great WH collectors there

IMG_5081.jpeg.4e66c57fcd15c018a763ceb6837b0b04.jpeg.1206657f3e3cb0e2ca8fbddc30da357c.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2