Skwerl58

Rear discharge deck and side discharge parts interchange

Skwerl58

I am going to look at a rear discharge deck, no model plate available, from a 90's 314-8 that the owner states is a 48" but looks like a 42" to me. I have a 1987 414-8 with 42" side discharge deck, 05-42mso5, that I use regularly and I maintain it well. Just wondering if the pulleys and parts will interchange to give me a reason to buy it if the deck is rusty. Thanks for any input!

gwest_ca

42" rear discharge yes but no 48" rear discharge made.

Mower DNA

1976 model 65-42MR01 replaced by - (Has the flat spindle belt idler pulley mounted on a triangular plate.) - (Has multi-link hardware at the gauge wheel support)

1977 model 75-42MR01 - Both use blades with 5/8" x 3/4" double-D center hole unless the spindles have been upgraded. (Has the flat spindle belt idler pulley mounted on a triangular plate) - (Has multi-link hardware at the gauge wheel support)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These all use blades with 3/4" center hole.

1977 model 75-42MR02 replaced by - (Has the flat spindle belt idler pulley mounted on a flat bar) (Has multi-link hardware at the gauge wheel support)

1978 model 85-42MR01 - (Has the flat spindle belt idler pulley mounted on a flat bar) (Has multi-link hardware at the gauge wheel support)

1979 model 95-42MR01 - No ipl available

1979 model 95-42MR02 - (Has no multi-link hardware at the gauge wheel support)

1980-1983 model 05-42MR01

1984 model 05-42MR02 - Last year for bearings with 3/4" ID

1985 model 05-42MR03 - First year for bearings with 17mm ID unless older spindles were updated.

1986-1988 model 05-42MR04

1989-1990 model 15-42RC01

1990-1992 model 15-42RC02

1993-2012 model 78350

Note - 17mm is .669"

• Thanks 2

peter lena

@Skwerl58  when you are talking rusty , is it  just light surface  rust ? or heavier / cracking . rot thru ? been oil soaking my decks for years , clean out , hot sun drying , oil soaking , you have to break the  GRUNGE  STAGE . thats the foundation for  deck life. agree with  @gwest_ca  on related info , often state OPPORTUNITY  FOR IMPROVEMENT on deck rebuilding , think  LUBRICATION  VERIFACATION  CHANGE / IMPROVEMENT  is vital . hi temp / stress grease , with a 550 DEG  flash point LUCAS , marine /  HD green chassis grease , also do the PTO MULE DRIVE BEARINGS OVER , carefully remove bearing side shields , clean out / flush with carb cleaner , lucas re grease , quiet , bombproof . done a lot of deck detailing , none of it in the book , decks spin up with ease / smooth / quiet . PTO clutch cone ,  inside needle bearing , clean out / lightly re grease , lucas , outside sealed bearing , get at napa , good opportunity  for a solid improvement , pete

Skwerl58

Thanks for the replies.  It appears to be left in the weather at some time and he states it is a mulching deck. I know if the center pulley, and spindles are the same as my deck and in decent shape I hope to bring it home. Hopefully I will look at it tomorrow. I do my lube as "Greasy Pete" says and I just replaced spindle bearings last week and popped the seals, cleaned out the factory grease and used the red grease in them. The bearings I replaced were in a factory new spindle I bought 5 years ago before I knew of replacing the grease. The bearings had gotten loud and growled at times so I replaced them. Thanks again!

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, Skwerl58 said:

it is a mulching deck

Is this an option that was marketed by Wheelhorse at some point? 

How do you know if a deck is just that? 

Lane Ranger
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Is this an option that was marketed by Wheelhorse at some point? 

How do you know if a deck is just that? 

wheelhorse/toro made a recycling deck in 42 and 48 versions that is a mulched.   I own one .  Closed like a rear discharge and has a baffle system inside.  

IMG_5045.jpeg

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Lane Ranger said:

.  Closed like a rear discharge and has a baffle system inside.  

Well that's interesting.

Brockport Bill
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Well that's interesting.

here is what 42 " recycler mower deck looks like from bottom - - also note the end of the deck from top side view there is a decal that says "recycler"

wh 42 recycler bottom.jpg

wh 42 recycler top angle view.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

The things ya learn!!!

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

the 42 rear discharge recycler is model # 78355 if you want to look it up -- from 1994-98

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JimSraj
Posted (edited)

Anyone know if the mounting hardware on a 42” recycler (78355)is the same as on a SD(78345)?  Looks the same except for the brackets that hold the gauge wheel rod. 

Edited by JimSraj
Wrong number