RED-Z06

Starter Gen low output

RED-Z06

On my 702, the new reg/rec got it charging, my new volt gauge shows it recovers after starting to right at 13v and stops rising, as long as its over about 2000 rpms it goes to 13.0 to 13.1 and stays.  Is it possible to increase output?  I tried running it at 3600 rpms for 45 minutes after the engine rebuild and it made no difference.

• Like 2

ri702bill

Yes, but,,,,, Attached is the Delco Remy Regulator Manual. Page 9 has the procedure - you probably do not have an adjusting screw unless it it the original Regulator. If not you can bend the upper spring hook up - slight movement has a large effect on voltage.

Bill

Delco Remy Regulator Manual 1R-116.pdf

• Like 1

953 nut

:confusion-confused:       Have you checked the voltage reading with another volt meter?    If you have a good battery you should be happy with 13 volts.   :twocents-02cents:  The generator is suppling the power needed for the ignition and maintaining the battery once it recovers from starting.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

@RED-Z06

Here's a thread that has some useful information: 

Remember that a very small change might be all you need. 

Ideally you want a mid-13V charge but at 13, 13.1 I'd be prone to leave it for a bit. 

Proper unused disconnected battery reading is 12.45V or a little more. 

• Like 3

squonk

bat.jpg.de8b58c2929f4282a92f1e7b2e2b205c.jpg

• Like 3

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, squonk said:

bat.jpg.de8b58c2929f4282a92f1e7b2e2b205c.jpg

That aligns with what I was taught. 

12.45 was minimum consideration. 

I think we were told 12.8 was "full".

• Like 1

RED-Z06
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:confusion-confused:       Have you checked the voltage reading with another volt meter?    If you have a good battery you should be happy with 13 volts.   :twocents-02cents:  The generator is suppling the power needed for the ignition and maintaining the battery once it recovers from starting.

Yeah, tried a 2nd new meter and it matches the gauge display.  12.5 resting voltage, drops to about 11.9 after it cranks and starts then starts to slowly recover to 13v over about a minute 

• Like 2

953 nut
4 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

Yeah, tried a 2nd new meter and it matches the gauge display.  12.5 resting voltage, drops to about 11.9 after it cranks and starts then starts to slowly recover to 13v over about a minute 

As @squonk and @ebinmaine have said, that sounds acceptable to me.  If you have an old headlamp or other load you could ad to the tractor for testing and you don't end up with below 12.5 volts then that will prove that the generator is doing its job.

• Like 4

RED-Z06
10 hours ago, 953 nut said:

As @squonk and @ebinmaine have said, that sounds acceptable to me.  If you have an old headlamp or other load you could ad to the tractor for testing and you don't end up with below 12.5 volts then that will prove that the generator is doing its job.

Found an old Par36 bulb and wired it up, it puts enough on it to keep it around 12.5, lower if I turn on the gauge and dash light but those are led and draw virtually nothing.  Just feels like theres too slow of a revovery on it.  Ive got to get 6 new batteries for the mowers this year, might as well pickup a new one for this mower too but the battery cranks it fine, never gets low, but its a year old.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

Found an old PAR36 BULB and wired it up, it puts enough on it to KEEP it AROUND 12.5, lower if I turn on the gauge and dash light but those are led and draw virtually nothing.  

That's the part that would make me adjust the VR.

I'd try to get a half a volt higher. 

• Like 1

lynnmor

Here is some good information about charging voltage.  Read the paragraph under minimum voltage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
20 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Here is some good information about charging voltage.  Read the paragraph under minimum voltage.

:text-goodpost: